Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What type of potty to start with?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a 2 year old neice that I care for and my lil girl is 19months. Is 2 a good age to start with the potty training and if so should I start with the seat that goes on top of the toilet seat and train on the regular potty or get one of the mini ones? And advice or stories would be much appreciated.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DayDreamer1201
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Use one that sits on the floor... they are lower and moore comfortable for young ones. 

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM

First off, go buy both. A small potty, and a ring. One that sings or lights up is totally not nessesary, so a basic type will suffice. Start with the small portable potty when they are younger, then transition to the ring when they get older and taller. My older boy is in preschool and his legs are so long that he is not comfortable on the small potty and the regular toilet is still too awkward, so he likes the potty ring now. He can even get the ring off of its mounted holder from the side of the toilet and put it on and take it off himself.  My younger son is 19 months, and we just started introducing him to the potty, and a little potty works better for him......especially since he will want to sit on his potty while I sit in the toilet and mimic me... Yes, a training tip.... Let her see you go, she will want to copy you and get excited when you go too. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:13 AM

use a regular toilet..thats what they are gonna pee on, so why use something different?  i worked with someone once and they used the potty seats, and then every time they went out she had to pack it around because her child would not go on a regular toilet, so it was like having to potty train twice. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM

obviously, when youre potty training, you will be right there with the child..so its not like their gonna fall in the toilet..lol :)  i personally, just think using the regular toilet is much easier

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM
I do both.choices are empowering for toddlers.
Our toilet seat has the smaller seat built in. It's awesome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:04 AM

we've always used the regular toilet (nothing extra).    my boys learned to hold themselves up quickly.   

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I believe in potty learning and not forced training. So what we did was introduce the floor potty and showed her how to pull her bottoms down and sit. She got a sticker if she even sat on it. But we just let her go at her own pace. Never forced it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM

We did both so she could choose.  Some days she wanted the little potty and some days she wanted the big potty.  :-)

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Get a portable one you can plunk in front of the tv

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

We bought a 3 in one for dd.  A potty chair that had a seat that detached to go on large toilet and with the lid down it became a stool dd could use as needed.   At first her rear was almost too small for that so we were glad we started with potty chairs.  We could place it wherever we needed. 

Below is something similar to what we used.

The First Years 4 In 1 Potty Training System

http://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-4-in-1-potty-training-system/-/A-12286314#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=potty+chairs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN