Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I continue to excersise?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have been trying to get back in shape again after having my four babies. I really became weak after the bedrest I was put on with my third. Anyway, I have been relearning Tai-Chi, doing my boot camp excersises (except running since its too cold do I have been walking) and practicing my sword style again. I would work out a day and then get busy so it turned into days before I did it again. Well, this week I have been doing the TaiChi and boot camp stuff every night and then stretching and taking a bath to help. I feel crappy, though. I hurt in my knees and my arm muscles tremble when I hold my babies. I have never had problems in my entire life since I was always a very active child and this is scaring me. What should I do? Should I stop? I had wanted to increase it every week. I really did start slow for what I thought I could handle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Switch out to something else every other day like walking, or other cardio, so you do something every day. Or do just upper body work one day and lower body the next.

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I can't do that with TaiChi. It is all encompassing. I was just trying to do the regime that I learned in bootcamp so many years ago. We just were suddenly worked everyday and in 8 weeks we were ready and fit. I guess I can do my sword one day, my other excersises the second day and the third walk my three miles. But I really should do the TaiChi everyday. Maybe doing all of it everyday was too much.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Switch out to something else every other day like walking, or other cardio, so you do something every day. Or do just upper body work one day and lower body the next.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sounds like a good plan. I love Tai Chi!

Quoting Kenre:

I can't do that with TaiChi. It is all encompassing. I was just trying to do the regime that I learned in bootcamp so many years ago. We just were suddenly worked everyday and in 8 weeks we were ready and fit. I guess I can do my sword one day, my other excersises the second day and the third walk my three miles. But I really should do the TaiChi everyday. Maybe doing all of it everyday was too much.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I learned it in Hong Kong, but recently felt the need to do it again. My balance was affected from my back to back pregnancies. I started my sword style I learned in Japan and found that I was off balance. TaiChi has been helping me find that balance again.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

There are so many kinds. Is your style a slow or fast one?

Quoting Kenre:

I learned it in Hong Kong, but recently felt the need to do it again. My balance was affected from my back to back pregnancies. I started my sword style I learned in Japan and found that I was off balance. TaiChi has been helping me find that balance again.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

No! Don't stop! After 4 kids it will take a while to get back in shape. Take it slow. If you are in serious pain(the exercise type pain) just walk and do the Tai-Chi. Tai-Chi is great for the mind and body. If possible find a Y or a place that has an indoor pool. Swimming is one of the best exercises for the body. There is no impact on your joints and water is a relaxant to the body. It soothes the sore muscles and helps with ahces and pains. Keep up the good work!!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd suggest just the tai chi and walking for a while- a couple weeks maybe or longer. Now that you are hurting, you'll want to cut way back until you don't hurt any longer. If you cut way back and still hurt, then it might be a good idea to consult a doctor just to rule out other possible problems so you don't have to worry.  Swimming is kind to the joints but doesn't do much for bones. So the tai chi always, walking for at least a couple weeks before adding anything, then adding swimming if you have a pool available and can schedule it in.  Have you tried the Royal Canadian Mounted Police workout? (not sure if this is the exact name). It may be one to add on- it starts very slowly and builds up. After this, then gradually adding in your boot camp exercises. I'd love to hear how you are doing, if you have time to update your post or even send me a PM? 

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Its the basic 24 forms of Qigong. I don't know what forms beyond that.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

There are so many kinds. Is your style a slow or fast one?

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting Kenre:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I will try to remember to update. LOL. I was so surprised to find myself being in pain and weak when I am trying to get stronger. So TaiChi and walking for two weeks sounds okay? Then start my other stuff slowly?

Quoting Bmat:

I'd suggest just the tai chi and walking for a while- a couple weeks maybe or longer. Now that you are hurting, you'll want to cut way back until you don't hurt any longer. If you cut way back and still hurt, then it might be a good idea to consult a doctor just to rule out other possible problems so you don't have to worry.  Swimming is kind to the joints but doesn't do much for bones. So the tai chi always, walking for at least a couple weeks before adding anything, then adding swimming if you have a pool available and can schedule it in.  Have you tried the Royal Canadian Mounted Police workout? (not sure if this is the exact name). It may be one to add on- it starts very slowly and builds up. After this, then gradually adding in your boot camp exercises. I'd love to hear how you are doing, if you have time to update your post or even send me a PM? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nverheyn2011
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

relax with the working out for a bit. the trembling means you've reached muscle failure!! don't do the same thing every day, either.

when i was in the military this is how they explained PT to us: m w f, run days. they don't do the same thing every day because it creates small tears in your muscles, which when they repair themselves, creates the muscle building. by running one day, abs the next, upper body the next: it gives the areas worked on previously the time to repair.

keep it slow, and simple. stretch longer, and more often, and relax a day or so to give your body the time it needs to repair the muscles!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured