Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 99 Replies

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Not at that age I wouldn't. Maybe 12 or 13?

PinkParadox
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Nails...anytime really. Hair...i would maybe do something temporary until like 10 or so...but that's just me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Around 6th grade. or about 12.

thickmamaof2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I would let her do it now. If it gives her self confidence. My 13 year old sister committed suicide from strict parents. Id rather have a kid with high lights than a dead child. Its not going to hurt anything. So I say go for it!!!
nikki554
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I agree. I really do not want to let her do it at all. She does not get any of this from me. I do not wear make up, do my hair or nails. I am not sure where she gets it from. I do not want to limit her decision making but she is only 6.

Aqua_Jen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I would take her for mani/pedis but leave it at that. Once she hits high school I'd consider nails, haircolor, whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
High school would be my minimum age, but I would hope she would wait longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikki554
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Thanks ladies, that was what I was thinking in my head but I told her to ask daddy because I didnt want to be the bad guy. I thought he would say no. Well he told her yes. So now I have a six year old that wants to already color her hair. 

djsmommy13
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I would say 13
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I would prefer to get her clip ons or a wig rather than ruin the natural beauty of her hair.  I started letting dd decide her hair style  at age 5.  Nails we do any time at home so she has a pretty deep pink on her fingers. Eyebrows I have not touched and may not until closer to 11.  She will be 7 next month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured