Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
Kitschy
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

She knows. Who cares about anyone else. Why is a 7 year old wanting to feel older and developed? I would think that sort of thing doesn't happen until preteen. Aren't you concerned about her? Why on earth would a 7 year old want to wear a bra and why would you encourage it? Where do you go from here? What are you going to have on your hands when she's 13?

Quoting nikki554:

I don't see the big deal with the training bra. It is under her shirt, no one knows she has it and it makes her feel older.

Quoting Kitschy:

Why are you okay with this? Why are you letting her have a training bra? My dd is almost 5 and you should see the look on my husband and my face while we are reading this thread.

Quoting nikki554:

Quoting lovingmom134:

You do not want your child growing up way to fast. 6 years old.. she just hit first grade, she should be worrying about having nails painted and cute shoes

Oh she does. Her shoes have to match her outfit, her nails have to match her clothes. Her hair needs to be perfect. She is a very girly girl. And I dont want her growing up to fast. She got a training bra the other day because she thinks it is cool. I am having a hard time adjusting to that. 

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Next up is makeup.

If she still wants it when she turns 8 then sure, but if not it was an impulse. My mom always made me wait a year when I requested things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
For mani/pedi's I would allow it now. For hair colors 13 or older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Uhm, this post is freaking odd. An almost 7 yr old wearing a traing bra??? Dear God! My face = o_O
caito
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I wouldn't allow my daughter to get highlights until at least middle school. I fucked my hair up from dying it and I want my daughter to enjoy her beautiful perfect hair as long as possible. She won't wear a training bra until puberty. She can get her nails done, but she won't get acrylics or crazy colors.

AubreeG16
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Sure! Depends on what color though.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i allowed my daughter to get streaks when she was 7..she got a pink, blue and purple one professionally done  (bleaching and all)   :)  she loved it!

flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I do not see what the real issue is with her wearing a training bra....do you realize that girls can get their periods @ 9????  a training bra to me is like a sports bra....my daughter wears one to her hip hop dance class because it is comfortable and she gets really hot with all the dancing they are doing....it is what you make of it....and the child will feed off of your reactions to it.....and as far as the highlights in her hair, you don't have to use bleach, you can use the Sun-in spray & either use heat or sit outside in the sun and then rinse it out.....

GagaNTattooS
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM
No its not just a few high lights her hair is too young... no stylist I know would touch virgin hair at that age with a chemical treatment. Try a hair cuttery .

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

If it's a few highlights it shouldn't be that bad. It's up to her mom. That's just my opinion.

Quoting GagaNTattooS:

Her hair is still to young..it shouldn't be process ed much like her it is still maturing. No good hairstylist should touch that.

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

I don't see the huge deal. It's just hair, and it grows back!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kimsfree
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I let my daughters highlight at 13 and get a semi-permanent color or tips at 14. You are the mom, and can do exactly as you please, but in my opinion, 7 is too young to be exposed to that, especially the chemicals in hair coloring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)