Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (51-60):
GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
How about hair mascara?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LABELmeCUTE
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Me and all 3 of my daughters are girlie girls lol soo I'm a pro at these things, nails yes, highlights no, she's still young,& you don't wanna put those chemicals in her hair,and the eye brows NO! Once u get em waxed you'll have to keep going back to get em done, that's stuff I did when I got in high school, let her have something to look forward too
JacksonGirl
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I had my DD wait until she was 12 to be sure she knew what she was doing and that it was definitely what she wanted.
nikki554
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone who answered the question at hand. I will not be allowing her to get highlights.I agreed from the moment that I posted the question that she should not do it I just wanted some other moms opinions in it. As far as her eyebrows, if that becomes a real issue we will deal with it then.

And as far as her choice to wear a sports bra, no I am not concerned one but about her wanting to wear one. One of the girls in her class is over weight and is already starting to develop breasts so she wears one. I am not concerned about her sexuality in the least.
averysmommom
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Highlights are pretty extreme for a kiddo that young. My mom started letting me dye my hair at 11 and I went nuts. I'm 29 and haven't seen my natural hair since I started dying it. It messed up the integrity of my locks big time. She's your dd so it's ultimately up to you but I'd say not yet. If she still wants them in 6 mos or a year then sure. 

stephie2603
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

They won't take until a certain age.  I can't remember what the age is.  But I was told that by a childrens hair stylist.  theres something about the hair that just won't take color.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My hairstylist said kids hair shouldn't be dyed until about 12.  Something to do with the folicals.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I let me daughter get colord highlights at 6....and she has had several colors including blonde last year. There are dyes that wash out after a few washes and or some that are more permanent. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I would allow her to get it done. But I would take her somewhere to get it done. That way it's done right, and I would watch so that next time I could do it at home myself.

wedding countdown

CatFishMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at six, sorry. At the absolute earliest, I'd say ten but that is seriously pushing my sense of acceptable. Id stick with twelve or thirteen. Letting her get into all that stuff now is going to seriously warp her image of herself-thinking that she has to do those things to be pretty. Maybe you could keep it sweet and simple by having home beauty days on the weekend or something, where you wash her hair and paint her nails, let her wear some clear lipgloss in the house or take her for a special afternoon lunch, just the girls, after youve gotten all dressed up, but I would be having some serious talks and reading some good books about how girls dont need those things to be pretty. I would also be doing the same trying to figure out where she got these ideas and try to encourage her to have confidence in herself as she is. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be pretty-little girls love playing makeup and dressup and thats great! But she shouldnt think she needs her eyebrows waxed and her hair changed at six to be pretty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured