Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (61-70):
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I think she is way to young for these things. Eyebrows waxed? If I had a daughter, I would give her self confidence telling her she does need those things done. Painted nails is no big deal, I used to paint my nieces nails all the time. On rare occasions I would put eyeshadow on her for fun at home and that's it. I am sorry but putting on make up, wax eyebrows, highlights and other stuff that should be for teenage girls or women on a young girl is what I think would catch a child molester's attention.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I wasn't allowed to until middle school...around 12 or 13 years old.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I would paint her nails myself, no eyebrow waxing until at least 12, and no hair highlights ever. When she is out of my house, thats her choice, but I won't have my kids putting chemicals in their hair to make it change colors.

Maevelyn
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I think I was in the 8th grade about to go into high school. I think that was a good time. 

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Its just hair. Unless she wants to buzz it, i dont see a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom0094
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

13 maybe

cmorden06
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I was 11

Quoting nikki554:

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I am very girly! I had acrylic nails for years, get my eyebrows waxed and get my hair highlighted every 7 weeks. But I would not let my 7 year old get her hair highlighted. I do let her go with me once in a while to the nail place and get hers painted. She does say she wants fake nails and her hair blonde but I have told her that she is beautiful the way she is and when she is older she can do these things! Girls that young should not feel like they have to do these things to be pretty! They should still look like "little girls" not teenagers! The las time I was getting my nails done there was a 7 year old girl sitting beside of me getting acrylic nails put on and I thought that was the craziest thing that I had ever seen. Why in the world would a parental low that at such a young age! The mom said that the little girl expects the same treatment as what she gets! seriously??????? I felt like asking if she realized what she was setting herself up for!

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don't think I would do it. If she's asking for all of this extra stuff I'd want to know why she thinks she needs it, first of all. If she has overgrown eyebrows I'd say pluck them for her but all of that stuff costs money and unless she has some real cosmetic issues (not to be rude, but hair in inappropriate places on her face, severely overgrown eyebrows or something) I wouldn't do any of that. I'm probably a lot old fashoined in my thinking that someone that age doesn't need all of that stuff. When she gets old enough that she can be working a job so that if she wants to get these extras she can buy them for herself.

Gretch73
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I pretty much let my DD do whatever she wanted.  It is her body, and her choice how it looks.  I AM very strict about washing her face--but that is part of being clean.  She has highlights, has for years and years.  I do them for her with a kit from Sallys (I make braids because of her curls), She is now 14, an honor student and has a rare disease that has taken quite a bit of her freedom from her the last year and a half.  I also do henna on her, kits are cheap enough off Amazon, and it gives her a chance to control her body.  (I also never forced her to hug anyone--including me).  I teach kindergarten and have quite a few little girls with bright red streaks--what better time to be a little silly than when they are young?  i would make highlights a trade off for a HUGE gift--something she would have to earn :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN