Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (81-90):
GOBryan
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Why not do a little high lighting? Nothing too crazy. Some kids like my daughter have natural highlights. I have a 19 year old that won't do anything to her hair. I've tried to get it highlighted but she just doesn't really care. Wish she did. I tried to get her to get a small tattoo, belly ring.. nothing. So not girly or anything. My 7 year old is very girly, so I'm sure when she's older she'll be interested in all that stuff. She's going to be a nightmare in a different way. lol. 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think around the age of 12/13. For me, 7 is way too young.

momidezgjc
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We allowed our daughter to have peak a boo color during spring break she was ten and it was semi-permanent and again during the summer but this was peak a boo and really only visible in a pony tail. It allowed her to have some "freedom" we gave her the choice this way or no way.

sv88
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is just not about hair color, mani/pedi etc etc..at such a young age, to have access to that may seem to signal a different outlook when it comes to money. That it is okay to spend your money in all of this which is okay if one has the earning capacity but what if not? I have a 14 yo daughter and has not started any of it. I will not allow it. I am letting her slowly get into manicure but do it yourself. Its not that we can not afford it but I want her to learn value of money which a lot of kids does not have anymore. I think its these small little things that we do each day and what we allow them to do is whats going to impact them in the future.

Christy78
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM
When my oldest was 6 she ask the samething. I told once you turn 13 yrs old you can get your hair done . Her nails a different story becasue she would bite her nails. She got her hair done and nails done at 13 yrs old . She will be 15 on Sat .
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Wow, why is she in such a hurry to grow up?  Do her eyebrows grow together?  The nails ok.. can't you do them at home, where you can get nail polish that doesn't have toulene or formaldehyde in it?  Highlights, you can do at home with a kit. When my sister and I were kids, we used lemon juice and sunshine.  

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I don't allow my kids to get their hair dyed, those chemicals are horrible for their hair. Even if I did, 6 is way too young.

jujubear1
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I've taken dd to get pedis with me occassionally since she was about 3.  All they do is paint her nails, and she would get upset if she didn't get to soak her feet. I blame that on the first place I took her to. They thought she was cute so they let her soak her feet just like mommy.  Now, anytime we go someplace different, she expects to soak her feet lol.  I will also let her do hair chalk and told her during the summer, I would let her do a temp dye job on her hair.  She wants pink, not sure if all over or just streaks. She's 8 and no way would I let her get regular highlights. At 6, I wouldn't even consider the pink dye but I guess I've lightened up a little.

momoffourkidies
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

my dd got hers done a yr ago for straight A's so...... i think it shud b ok, but it is ur decision as a parent

redbutterfly666
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

if my kid asked me to dye their hair at 6 id let them, only if the school allowed it and if it werent permanent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN