Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.

Posted by   + Show Post

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (91-99):
Alyssa1988-21
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I would let her do it she is old enough to voice her opinion and its not like she's asking for some weird kind of piercing or drugs lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Eyebrows at 6? I don't think so.  The hair and the nails wouldn't be a big deal to me.

AmiJanell
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I wouldn't at 6... but I would allow something like Henna hair dyes... it's natural and GOOD for the hair.. and it washes out after awhile

Mcelly
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

After their period.

alisheamonet33
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

wow 6 i thought you where talking abt a older child no she is way to young , she needs a training bra at six ????

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Since you told her to ask Dad and he said yes, I'm not sure what choice you have here.  Find a temporary color that will wash out in a couple of washes.

Quoting nikki554:

Thanks ladies, that was what I was thinking in my head but I told her to ask daddy because I didnt want to be the bad guy. I thought he would say no. Well he told her yes. So now I have a six year old that wants to already color her hair. 

OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I would say middle school.

smurfy88
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Not until high school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Sorry, I don't buy that.  For us, it's a matter of choosing our battles.  Hair is not a big deal.  Modesty on the other hand is a big deal and we're strong on that and our kids know that.  They know we allow them freedom (such as how to style their hair) to a point but that there are lines not to cross.  I don't see that highlights automatically means booty shorts down the line.  It's all in how you raise your child.

Quoting tazlover0

If she gets highlights now at 10 she'll probably want midriff tops and booty shorts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN