Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Legal or not?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Should illegal immigrants be given the chance to become US citizens?

Options:

Yes

No

In certain situations-explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

I do not believe that illegal immigrants should be given the opportunity to become citizens. They broke the law and should not be rewarded for doing so. Return to your home country and come to the US legally!! I have no problem with a legal alien becoming or being given the chance to become a citizen.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I think if they have come under illegal circumstances but have had a steady job and making a positive impact on their community they should be given the chance to become legal residents if not citizens.  

shannzuno
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Eh, this is a touchy subject with me. My great grandma went from Mexico to San Fran and took the test and became a legal citizen, she learned english and wouldnt allow spanish in the house until english was fluent. (She left everything and everyone she knew in Mexico) Then im not positive if it was just my grandpa or great grandpa, but whichever was Irish born, moved to Canada, studied, then took the test for citizenship. I get sick of people coming here illegally. From hospital rooms, to state programs, its wrong. I live in southern california and around me are a lot of illegals, who somehow managed to get real estate, yet my so has a great job, no real bills, and we cant qualify for things that happened in his previous marriage. Ive also seen families lose business over "cheap under the table labor" ive seen people doing good lose everything they have because of it. But then i also saw kids in school, whose parents were illegal, be put into the system or shipped right back... i do think they should have to get citizenship, and fucking learn english. I have friends who cant get jobs because they only speak English,(we arent in la or a hispanic region) and i know hispanics arent the only illegals, but in my area they are the ones who stand out and have easiest access.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

No.  I agree with you.  They broke the law.  Why should we reward that type of behavior?  Everyone who comes here should come legally.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM

whats worse, in my state, they can now get a drivers license!!  Now they can really take the jobs away from American citizens!  It's bad enough they squeeze 20 of them into a van to go do landscaping under the table, now with a license, they're free to drive around to find someone else who will pay them under the table to avoid taxes.  

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM

It doesn't seem fair to those who worked to do it legally.

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

I voted in certain situations because many of the illegal adults that are here now came when they were a child. They had no control over that. I think they should be given a chance to become citizens or legal residents.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I think if they have been here, working illegally and not using medicaid for kids and been here more than 5 years, they have a shot at it. Also need to not get any sort of welfare for at least 5 years so they don't become legal and start sponging. No way for them to sign up for any of it. It does piss me off people come here and expect to be illegal their whole life. I do feel bad for those kids that came here with parents as babies and children. Those should be able to once they turn 18.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Most everyone that used to come here couldn't wait to become legal and couldn't wait for them and their family to learn English. That is not the case today.

Quoting shannzuno:

Eh, this is a touchy subject with me. My great grandma went from Mexico to San Fran and took the test and became a legal citizen, she learned english and wouldnt allow spanish in the house until english was fluent. (She left everything and everyone she knew in Mexico) Then im not positive if it was just my grandpa or great grandpa, but whichever was Irish born, moved to Canada, studied, then took the test for citizenship. I get sick of people coming here illegally. From hospital rooms, to state programs, its wrong. I live in southern california and around me are a lot of illegals, who somehow managed to get real estate, yet my so has a great job, no real bills, and we cant qualify for things that happened in his previous marriage. Ive also seen families lose business over "cheap under the table labor" ive seen people doing good lose everything they have because of it. But then i also saw kids in school, whose parents were illegal, be put into the system or shipped right back... i do think they should have to get citizenship, and fucking learn english. I have friends who cant get jobs because they only speak English,(we arent in la or a hispanic region) and i know hispanics arent the only illegals, but in my area they are the ones who stand out and have easiest access.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dianaNbryanMami
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow. Sounds racist to me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I agree, because it doesn't seem fair to hold it against them if they had no choice to come here. Also if they have been productive and working legally then I think they deserve a chance at being legal residents. I don't think they should qualify for any type of PA or help when they are still illegal though, because if we can't afford to help our citizens/residents, why stretch the system further kwim? 

Quoting JeremysMom:

I voted in certain situations because many of the illegal adults that are here now came when they were a child. They had no control over that. I think they should be given a chance to become citizens or legal residents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)