Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should kids get to do all sports they want or choose?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 31 Replies

My friend and I had this talk today and her 8 year old son races go karts, is on a soccer league and is now wanting to play football. And of course she is letting him do all these because he wants to. My daughter is 7 and in 1st grade and I let her pick one thing last year which was dance and this year she chose to do cheer competitevely. And I did let her do Girl Scouts because but I knew if it conflicted with cheer, it would be fine! But my daughter wants to do the cheer competitively and cheer for school. And I think this too much! I have to,d her she will have to choose one. For her coml cheer team she has tumble one night and cheer one night and during comp season which is dec-April she has cheer practice twice a week. So she goes 3 nights a week. I just don't think you should over schedule your child. I think that as hard as schools these days and then you add sports, it is a lot on them. And I think she should learn that you don't always get to do the things that you want, that you have to make choices. Am I wrong for being this way??????

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don't think I could afford for my kid to do all of that. We let her pick one thing during the summer. This summer it is gymnastics. Last summer it was ballet. 
But since we will be schooling at home, the school reimburses us for extracurriculars.  

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I would limit up to 2 activities per season  since as you have seen they tend to overlap and can cause scheduling issues when both are on same day.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Your child your choice. I will allow them to do two sports or after school activities at a time if they want.

MJP76
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Kids will usually tell you when something is too much. I think making a kid choose shows discipline and it also shows that money doesn't grow on trees. I think, putting kids into different things, or a lot of things shows them how to multitask and to be responsible. However, I would not go into debt, just because my kids "wanted to do something" we have always had to make our kids choose because multiple things would be a financial burden on us. We are just now getting to a point where we could allow our kids to choose multiple things if they so choose, but they have so much on their plate now, I don't think they would dare. 

DD is InHer 9th year of dance. She has flat out told us she doesn't want to do competition because its too much. She currently does unlimited classes and has for the last 4 years, and with now being in HS she is rethinking unlimited, and dialing dance down a notch. She has been very forthcoming with telling us "when it's too much"

youngest DS does Tae Kwan do, and is content with that.

jules8289
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I think at first let them try a couple of things or so if you can afford it. It lets them experience different activities. Then let them figure out which they like and what ones they are good at and they can pick that one to do. Tons of activities aren't good either. They over extend themselves and the person getting them from place to place.

brittany208
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

of course not. the job of parents is to set limits. If I let my 3yo have everything he wanted for Christmas, I would have literally bought the whole toys r us catalogue, for example, lol. Children need to know that it is okay to want things, but that they can't have EVERYTHING they want. and that their wants/needs need to be in balance with the rest of the family's wants/needs.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I agree with you, you have to balance the needs of the whole family, not just the child that wants to do everything, there are too many family dinners missed and too much stress on Mom and Dad running the kids around to all the activities, but, to each their own.

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

imo we don't push our kids hard enough. Look how much smarter and more disciplined other kids in other countries are.

mamaBerg85
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I'm confused about the last part of that. Why would the school reimburse you. U for extracurricular activities because you home school. Im thinking about homeschooling for a bit but I am worried about them missing out iin team high school sports if I do that.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I don't think I could afford for my kid to do all of that. We let her pick one thing during the summer. This summer it is gymnastics. Last summer it was ballet. 
But since we will be schooling at home, the school reimburses us for extracurriculars.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

If I could afford it, I'd do it all... they have to learn to manage time someday...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN