Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can you give an almost 18 month old anything for cough?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 37 Replies

Se has had a runny nose. (Clear) for almost two weeks. And a little bt of sneezing. I figured it was teeth and the dr said as long as it was clear, not to worry. But now she has this a cough and she is having a hard time s,evening because of the cough. Is there anything I can do to help with the cough?????

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

a plug in waterless vaporizer would help her alot.  Lukewarm tea sweetened with honey could also help.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I would elevate the head of the bed (we put a comforter under the mattress, or a pillow under a toddler mattress). That helped my daughter the most.

reux
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

You are not supposed to give honey to children under 2.  You could could use water vapor or a humidifier. Alternately give your little one some extra baths (same effect and I always find a bath perks up my LO when sick). Lots of fluids are key to help the cough. I hope your little one feels better soon!

Quoting frndlyfn:

a plug in waterless vaporizer would help her alot.  Lukewarm tea sweetened with honey could also help.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

There are over the counter childrens cough suppressants that thin the mucous so the cough is productive you can give her so she can sleep better.

rbailey2414
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

a vaporizer is a great idea with some vicks! stick a glob on each foot and put some socks over them :)

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
It is very dangerous to give a chIld under 2 any kind of over the counter cough or cold medicine. I have seen you give very wrong medical information on here frequently. This could really cause harm to a child if your advice was taken.

Quoting Lindalou907:

There are over the counter childrens cough suppressants that thin the mucous so the cough is productive you can give her so she can sleep better.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I was told to give DS (19 months)  1 tablespoon of honey for his cough.  It really helped him when we gave it to him.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Well, I've raised 3 healthy smart kids to adulthood using the advice that I give. I am well aware that it says on the label not to use on children under two. But my childrens pediatrician said I could, so there! :) Now what other "very wrong" medical information have I given anyone?

Quoting stepconfused182:

It is very dangerous to give a chIld under 2 any kind of over the counter cough or cold medicine. I have seen you give very wrong medical information on here frequently. This could really cause harm to a child if your advice was taken.

Quoting Lindalou907:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
My doc specifically said my son could have any food after 12 months, including honey.

However, OP,you wil find it hard to find anything OTC for under four. Even the all natural stuff

Quoting reux:

You are not supposed to give honey to children under 2.  You could could use water vapor or a humidifier. Alternately give your little one some extra baths (same effect and I always find a bath perks up my LO when sick). Lots of fluids are key to help the cough. I hope your little one feels better soon!

Quoting frndlyfn:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I highly doubt a pediatrician would tell you that was ok. That goes against any recommendation the AAP has, which is the basis of practice. I am a pediatrician and if I recommended an OTC med for a child under 2 and that caused the child harm, that would be a major malpractice suit because it is highly contraindicated. Shown to have very ill effects.

I will look for some othe specific examples of inaccurate medical advice you've given. You actually just made a comment that freezing food would kill bacteria in cheese. ThIs is absolutely untrue.

I am sure you will take offense to what I'm saying but all I am trying to do is stress how important it is to not spread inaccurate information to those asking advice. If you go by evidence based research you can't go wrong!

Quoting Lindalou907:

Well, I've raised 3 healthy smart kids to adulthood using the advice that I give. I am well aware that it says on the label not to use on children under two. But my childrens pediatrician said I could, so there! :) Now what other "very wrong" medical information have I given anyone?

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Lindalou907:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)