Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your opinions, I know you have them!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just bought a new bag of shredded cheese, well we used a little last night and accidently got left out (eek yes I know) Is it still useable to cook? it sat on the counter, I placed it back in the fridge first thing this morning! When I discovered it. There are so many things, I know in europe they do not fridge their cheese yet here we are raised putting it in the fridge. So ladys can I cook with it or chuck it, oh it smells fine..

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

the difference between here and europe, is it never goes in the fridge...

but in the US, going from cold to warm back to cold... yuck.. i would just buy new cheese...

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Use it. It will n ot hurt you at all...

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

No don't use it. Especially shredded cheese because it has so much more surface area to provide breeding ground for germs.

Lovinbeinamom5
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

It should be fine I did that about a month ago and you did put it back in the fridge as soon as you remembered so I think go for it. :D

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I dont eat anything that's been left out more than about 4hrs or so. You probably could no problem, but I personally wouldnt.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I wouldnt use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I would freeze it, and then cook with it, heat and cold should kill any germs! I did that once with some cheese I accidentally left in the car overnight (it was a cold night) and none of us got sick.

GELiz
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If in doubt, throw it out.  I would use it. But I would never tell anyone else to.

2under5.mom
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Was it chilly in the kitchen last night? I would still use it..if you get sick atleast you know why!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Definitely don't use it! Don't freeze it either. Freezing food does not kill bacteria. Leaving it out all night left it at a temperature above 40 degrees for over 4 hours, making it a breeding ground for bacteria. Anyone who has ever had food poisoning before (ME!!!!) would tell you to throw the cheese away and buy new! Don't chance getting yourself and your family sick. It's absolutely miserable and life threatening for children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured