Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

New Mom & New to CafeMom hoping that someone can provide advice on returning to work

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello!   I am thrilled to finally be a new mommy and am head over heals in love with our little girl. I'm seeking advice from other moms that may have been faced with the difficult decision of returning (or not) returning to work after maternity leave.

I've known for a long time  now that I'm not happy in my job.  I've known this wouldn't be the place I retired from.  With the birth of our daughter, it's now crystal clear to me that I'm not where I belong.  Having her changed everything.  I'm sure many mothers feel this way, but I know that I can't bear the thought of someone else caring for her from day to day.  They are only this little for a short amount of time and I don't want to hand that experience over to someone else to have for me.  I want to be with her.

At the same time, I can't just stop working.  My income is crucial to our household.  While I want to devote myself to being her mom, it's not realistic for me to just not work at all.  I've begun looking in to work from home opportunities/telecommuting.  I know they are out there.  I've heard plenty of people talk about their own, but you can't find anything that seems legitimate when I do these searches.

I have had the blessings of being able to work from home before and have never abused it.  In fact, it's always been a reward given to me for hard work since they know I'm the type of employee who is basically "married" to her job.  I want to pursue this as my next career venture so I can both work to provide for my family and be there to see my little girl grow. 

Does anyone out there know of such opportunities/companies that seek telecommuter employees?  Did anyone out there stop working with the birth of their child, but still find ways to make an income?  I'm looking for any info you can share.  I'm due to return to work in a few short weeks and am hoping to find something in that time.

Please & thank you!!

Retrogirl10

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey! Welcome to the group!!

i am sure there are job opportunities in the area you are interested in, but i am of no help.  i was lucky enuff to be able to take the first year off when my baby was born.  (gotta love paid maternity leave here in canada:)  however, after that year was up, i had to go back to work..being a single mom, i didnt have the choice..noone else wanted to pay my rent and bills..LOL

strangeyfine
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Try searching in craigslist and check the telecommute option. Yes many of the postings are scams, but I have also found some legit ones. Lion Bridge and Leap Force are both legir companies, and leap force has been advertising lately.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey! I sooo know how you feel! Look into to AT&T they have lots of work from home positions. Also try Alpine Access. Both companies are good but you just have to make sure you have the system requirements....AT&T is better because you usually don't have to wait too long for the application process & they provide awesome training. BUT depending on where you live they may or may not need reps in your area...so check out their website. Good luck

retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thank you so much!  I will definitely check out Craigs List.

retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Thank you!  I will check out AT&T today!

Quoting frstldyhmsch:

Hey! I sooo know how you feel! Look into to AT&T they have lots of work from home positions. Also try Alpine Access. Both companies are good but you just have to make sure you have the system requirements....AT&T is better because you usually don't have to wait too long for the application process & they provide awesome training. BUT depending on where you live they may or may not need reps in your area...so check out their website. Good luck

emilyelephant
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have started reselling my daughter's outgrown clothes, and I make enough money off them and the bottles and misc thing we never used that I have been able to buy bigger sizes.  I know someone that worked for Apple taking calls from home for troubleshooting Iphones, maybe you could try similar large companies.

DaniandTom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Convergys contracts with several major companies--including AT&T, DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner, etc. They handle calls for them. Many of their positions are WAH positions HOWEVER, when you're taking calls for them, you cannot have crying babies in the background so you would still need someone to help you but at least you'd be there to oversee and in case something happened. I worked for Convergys for 2 years in the DirecTV division. For the most part, you can request or earn the right to request the hours you want, get almost as much overtime as you want as well as move up to team leader in a relatively short period of time. They offer paid training and health benefits as well. Just go to Convergys.com and click on Careers then scroll down to Opportunities in North America and click on Work at Home. Good luck! 

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

No advice but good luck!

retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

That is a fabulous idea!  Thank you so much!  Does your friend have a technical background or did they get training from Apple to handle those calls?

Quoting emilyelephant:

I have started reselling my daughter's outgrown clothes, and I make enough money off them and the bottles and misc thing we never used that I have been able to buy bigger sizes.  I know someone that worked for Apple taking calls from home for troubleshooting Iphones, maybe you could try similar large companies.

retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

You are a saint!!  Thank you for taking the time to send a stranger all of that info.  Even if it doesn't lead me to anything, it revives a little hope for me that there are options out there.  I truly appreciate your time and will definitely check these out today.

Kelly

Quoting DaniandTom:

Convergys contracts with several major companies--including AT&T, DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner, etc. They handle calls for them. Many of their positions are WAH positions HOWEVER, when you're taking calls for them, you cannot have crying babies in the background so you would still need someone to help you but at least you'd be there to oversee and in case something happened. I worked for Convergys for 2 years in the DirecTV division. For the most part, you can request or earn the right to request the hours you want, get almost as much overtime as you want as well as move up to team leader in a relatively short period of time. They offer paid training and health benefits as well. Just go to Convergys.com and click on Careers then scroll down to Opportunities in North America and click on Work at Home. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)