Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do I push her to do it or let her do it on her own?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 39 Replies

My 7 year old has taken gymnastics since right before she turned 2. She is now 7 and one competitive cheer team. Her gymnastics in the last consisted of the bars, beam and some floo work. She there learned her rolls and cartwheel. She takes a rumble class at the competitive cheer gym and has been since last June. All the girls on the team were suppose to be able to do a back bend kick over for their comp routine. Well my daughter and a few others (21 on the team) have not gotten it. So they are just doing cartwheels for the competitions. But I just don't understand why my daughter hasn't gotten it yet. I to,she'd that she really needs to try hard to get it. She doesn't really like me says that to her but I just want her to set her mind to it and just do it. Bt she is pretty laid back and it just doesn't seem to bother her. I guess I know she could if she really tried. I dont know if she is scared, lazy or what. Should I just let it go or push her harder????.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Leave alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Encourage her to keep practicing but do not nag her to do it.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Don't push her harder, this would discourage her. Suggest that you ask the teacher for an extra lesson (paid of course) or even an extra 15 minutes before or after class (also paid) to get the extra help she needs. Perhaps the other girls can also join in. But don't push her.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

<<<My 7 year old has taken gymnastics since right before she turned 2.>>>  This is NOT her decision, it's YOURS.  This is not what SHE wants to do, it's what YOU want to do.  Leave her alone.  Let her be a child.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

i think you should leave her alone about it. otherwise you will just make her not wanna do it anymore.  all you can do is encourage her...if she WANTS to, but just cant seem to get it, i would try and get her some extra practise.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, leave her be. If the competition doesn't require it, don't worry about it. Pushing her will only cause her stress and take away the enjoyment she has of it. Why put her through that? 

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Did you try asking her?  If she wants help, help her. If not, give her time and space.

ThinkAgainMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Let her coaches coach her. 

You provide all the love in the world and the support she asks for.  It sounds like it is already something of a conflict between you.  If you back off entirely you may be surprised by her increase in interest.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I wouldn't push her. 

kali_mom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I think we want to make sure our child/children are not missing out and sometimes we inadvertently want to push. Talk with her and let her know there is NO pressure and Mommie loves her what ever she decides. Let her be in the drivers seat as much as possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)