Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does baby need to swim ?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 40 Replies

In my country, let baby swim is a fashion. Some parents even let the baby swim within one month age.

Do you agree with that ?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I would have been nervous to let him swim as early as one month, even with him in my arms, but I do wish I'd been able to start him on lessons at a younger age (we started last summer, he was/is 5), but working did not leave time in my schedule for it before that.

Amybelle
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM

My LO started @ 7 mos............he's 6 now....He LOVES to swim :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Newborns can supposedly swim.  I wouldnt leave them unsupervised but why not?  DD never learned how to swim and unfortunately has limited access to water in that way.  She will be 7 next month and i would love to do lessons for her.

kali_mom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
As a mother of five it was crucial my children learn how to swim. They were older but took to it as if they had been swimming since birth. I think if you can be present and ensure your little one is safe go for it !!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is awesome! We had our daughter in swim classes as soon as she could sit up. She has a sensory issue though and hates water in her face. So swimming is an issue. But I think it is a good thing .

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My dd was 10 months b4 we started with swimming but that was only bc it wasn't warm enough
Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
When I was younger, I taught swim lessons to babies as young as 2 weeks! It's amazing what little babies can do instinctively! My son has been in the pool since 2 months... we found a saline indoor pool... he LOVES it and can hold his breath underwater! He's 16 months now...
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My child was older when I took him for Mom and Me swimming lessons, at an indoor pool, but there were a number of infants. It teaches the babies how to hold their breath underwater and how to swim underwater- I think it is a good idea for the safety.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
My mom put me in the ocean at three months I have been swimming ever since. Same withy siblings. My son has been in swim lessons since six months now at four he is a great swimmer and loves the water and understands water safety.
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
My mom put me in the ocean at three months I have been swimming ever since. Same withy siblings. My son has been in swim lessons since six months now at four he is a great swimmer and loves the water and understands water safety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)