Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If you choose not to BF, and your child gets a disease that could have been prevented ...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (191-200):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, and you believe whatever makes you feel better about your choices.

Have a good night :)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34313590.jpg

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Fuck you. Thats all i have to say. You believe stupid studies

Quoting Randi02:

You were wondering if those children were predisposed and if they had any idea if the child was going to have diabetes anyway. Not all of the studies are done on children with diabetic mothers.

Children who are formula fed are more likely to develop diabetes. They are more likely to suffer from ear infections, obesity and leukemia etc. too. They are missing out on hundreds of ingredients in breast milk that cannot be replicated. They are missing out on immune support, proper digestive maturation and brain development. It's no different than a baby being born prematurely - they are missing out on that extra time in the womb and it puts them at a greater risk for all sorts of ailments. Breastfeeding is the natural continuation of pregnancy and you are increasing the risks for your child by withholding that.

If you were secure in your decision to formula feed, own it. Don't try and negate facts because things didn't turn out perfectly for your child, and she now has something that you could have offered her some protection from.

lisa601
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I've had conversations with friends about this. They bf and were surprised to be dealing with Type1, eczema, food allergies, nut allergies, asthma, autism and chronic ear infections that led to tubes. Even though they bf they are still left wondering if there was something else they could have done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids that are bf get those things too.  I myself could not bf, hypoplastic breast syndrome, although I did try. I will never regret doing what was right for my kids. BF does not make children immune to those things. If that were so, than no bf children would have those issues.  Diseases have to do with environment genetics, diet, exercise etc etc.  I am actually one of those who truly could not breast feed. All my kids did get some breast feeding. My son, who was bf the longest has the most allergies and he is the one that had asthma. Yes, had, he no longer has asthma.  So, this thinking would have logically assumed he was the one with the least amount of breast feeding. So it just goes to dna, genetics etc.  His dna chose to pick up the allergies that run in the family and the asthma. The girls' dna did not.  Just a roll of the dice so to speak. No parent should ever have to feel blame or guilt if their child gets sick because they didn't breast feed or didn't breast feed enough.  

jj4ij
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I agree with you. Did you not read the next sentence stating that the statement was sarcaasm? I think the whole post is BS and I wrote that being sarcastic, I was not in any way stating anything I believe in that sentence. I was trying to sound as dumb as the topic of this post is.
Please, I am not that niave.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'd like to disagree with your comment about 3rd world countries bfing. That isn't true at all. Countries like South Africa is considered 3rd world and just like in America bf is a choice, not a necessity, so a lot of Mothers ff.

Quoting jj4ij:

According to you all of the babies in third world countries would be healthy with no diseases.  They are pretty much all breast fed. 

That was sarcaasm : ) 

I totally do not agree with what you say.  I think that you will get diseases with or without breastfeeding.  There is no right answer, you can breastfeed and end up with a child who turns into an adult with a lot of different health problems, or you can formula feed and have the same outcome, or the opposite for both.  You can NEVER know.  My dad was Breast fed and he had a lot of health problems, diabetes included.  He ended up dying of cancer at the age of 58.  Many others who were formula fed grow up to live to 100, perfectly healthy.  You can never know.  I do think that breast milk is wonderful for kids, but I really do not believe it offers any benefits that Formula can offer except the closer bonding between mom and baby.  I am sorry I just don't agree. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I chose to bottle feed it was easier on all of us. Things happen because of genetics.. I haven't heard of those diseases being prevented by nursing. It provides immunities to certain illnesses ONLY if the mother has had vaccinations to those illnesses. 

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Your original post wasn't really offensive.  Where you got off track was in your responses to the response posts. I can appreciate your edit, your story, and your effort to learn.  Perhaps you really don't mean to be offensive and condescending, but honestly, you're doing it again while you're apologizing.  Let me clue you in:

I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over

See it's the word "wrong" that changes your statement. It's a biased statement because the implication is that the decision to FF was "wrong".  That's different than simply saying, "If my child were to become ill, I would most definitely go back and do something differently if I knew it could prevent her illness."

It's even fine to ask, "If you did not breastfeed, would you regret that decision if your child were later diagnosed with diabetes because there was a higher risk?"

But it is offensive and condescending for you to go off saying that formula feeding your child is similar to (or actually worse than) exposing them to Xanax and Valium (which you did infer), and that breastfeeding is the only sound choice (also inferred), that a mother's choice to FF could be solely and directly responsible for a specific illness (which is not true), and that she should feel terrible about that because she didn't heed the warning of the risks. 

There is no direct link between any specific illness and FF babies.  And in science class, we learn that correlation does not equal cause.  There could be countless confounding or contributing factors that lead to a particular illness, including the very genes you pass on to your child.  Are you going to feel guilty that you mated with a guy with a genetic predisposition to something?  Because that is a greater risk to your child.  All of life is a balance of calculated risk.

No one misquoted you at all.

typing

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM
I'm all for bf but sheesh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I've been on pills, more pills, insulin off of insulin and had more blood work done. I've been diagnosed with GD, then Type 1, now insulin has been taken away and it looks like type 2. Apparently they thought I was going through a honeymoon phase, when I injected I crashed. Without the insulin I spike... it's just really ridiculous and I don't even want to know how you manage your child's diabetes as it really is a roller coaster ride. I do not wish this on anybody. As for your question, I'm glad I don't have cancer. Yes there is worst diseases out there. Doesn't mean I cannot feel the way I do. I resent this disease as I'm sure I would resent any disease.... I feel with my beautiful daughter came a horrible disease... and I hate it.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

No, as a mom, your world would not stop. For my daughters sake, my world had to keep going because she IS my world and I HAVE to take care of her until she can take care of herself and I won't even leave her alone then. I can't tell you how many times I wish I were diabetic so I could understand better what she's going through. I think if you think its awful, you might not have gotten that good of a hold on it already. It took awhile to get on the right path with my daughter, which included changing drs and medicine. Would you rather have cancer? probably not, so its not the worst thing in the world. Its all about perspective. 

Again, do you take insulin? Are you type 1 or 2 now? do you take pills?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

This is my question and diabetes affects my life, so I'm sorry if you are annoyed about me including it in this post, but I need answers and I thought this to be a good place to ask. I'm having a horrible time coping with the fact that I' diabetic, so I'll disagree with your statement that it's not the worst thing in the world. For me, it's pretty damn awe full, and if my dd got it, my world would stop.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Im actually pretty annoyed you included diabetes in this. My daughter is 4 and has it and she was formula fed. There is absolutely no way breast feeding could've prevented it. If your kid has the genetic makeup for it, its going to happen. GD has nothing to do with a history of Type 1 (which is what kids would have) You might just have the genetic make up for diabetes. Also, a history of OTHER auto immune disorders such as celiacs, lupus, thyroid disorders, can make a child pre disposed to an autoimmune disease. My mother, and both of her parents have thyroid disorders so that is where the drs believe her diabetes came from .Now from me not breastfeeding. 

You are a type 2 diabetic most likely?,  although Iguess you could be type 1 depending on how your pancreas works... but GD, and then getting diabetes after  doesn't make your child at risk for type 1 (childhood). And I have to say its really not the worst thing in the world. 

My daughter would've gotten it regardless. Breastfeeding does not have anything to do with how well pancreases (?)  work. I believe the drs. Formula did not kill my daughters pancreas

On another note... Do  you take insulin?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

This is part of why I posted, I want interesting information like this. Thanks for sharing.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

I don't want to get into a debate or anything but I saw this and would like to share a few things I have found in my journey for understanding.   Diabetes and just about everything else is on the rise.  Never in history have people been so sick.  But also never in history have people been so lazy, so overweight, placed in unique positions to our generations (how many people before us would sit in a chair for 12 hours a day?).   Never in history has anyone been subjected to all of the modified food, medications, chemicals, garbage, radiation, & everything else.   As I type this a hundred possible chemicals, ect pop into my head.   So how can anyone blame a mother for FF or vaccinating or any other choice?  Even if that blamed object was removed there are countless others standing in line.  We don't know anything for certain.  Doctors make educated best guesses.  But the thing about science is it is always evolving and suddenly "fact" is disproven & replaced with new facts.  Even if you do everything perfectly by nature totally organic off the grid (sooooo not me) but even then there is so much crap in the ground, in the water system, in the air.  I once saw a (unofficial?) projection of the instance of thyroid conditions of people who lived within the general wind patterns of the New Mexico region where certain testing was performed during WW2 & on.  (Careful treading)  The wind pattern waved through the country all the way up to the new england coast.   Think about that.  It opened my mind to a whole new "Oh shit" set of concerns.  I was thinking what is on the apple I am eating.  It never occurred to me to think that big.   Then there is the question of DNA mutation.  Seriously.   There are certain medications & chemicals that are known to cause problems in the child during pre-natal development.  EVEN if the child was not conceived until years later.   Now, some of those children are already old enough that they have children of their own, or even grandchildren.  

Ok, so now I feel like I sound like a crazy con spiracy theorist.  I promise I am not.   I am curious and some of my curiosity can scare me.  And the whole point of me telling you all of this is to say that I firmly beleive that we can not blame each other into a solution.  We need to support each other regardless of disagreements over something like parenting choices.  

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'm sorry to hear that your children got affected by diabetes. I would just like to add that I never said that bottle feeding causes diabetes, however there is an astounding rise in diabetes across the world, and I'm merely interested in seeing what other moms have to say. Thanks for sharing.

Quoting DaniandTom:

OK I have no idea where you got the idea that breastfeeding prevented diabetes! I BF my daughter for a year and at age 5 she got diabetes. Same with my second son, although he developed it at age 24. (type 1--insulin dependant diabetes NOT type 2 that is caused by lifestyle) I bottle fed my first son but he didn't develop diabetes. So...explain that! LOL 

Breast feeding is preferable IF YOU CAN AND WANT TO. However, if you choose to bottle feed or if you cannot for whatever reason BF, then your baby will be fine. There is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that Bottle feeding causes diabetes or anything else! To suggest something like that is just silly.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Do you have any information on babies that were breast and formula fed? Like for instance the mom works and cannot pump enough so baby gets supplimented with formula.

Quoting Randi02:

A lot of these studies involve children of diabetic mothers. They track how long they were breastfed, whether it was exclusive etc.

The studies all show that exclusive breastfeeding for 3+ months offers protection against diabetes. Exclusive formula feeding, especially with a cow's milk based formula, puts the infant at the greatest risk.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Like I said, I know the truth. I personally dont care whats published. I know it has nothing to do with breastfeeding or formula feeding. I'm sorry you believe this article. How are these studies actually accurate? Before even feeding your child when they are born, do they go through the child's genome to see if they are genetically predispositioned to anything? No. So whoopy freakin do if more formula fed babies come out with diabetes... just means more of them were predispositioned. Most studies are coincedences

Sorry, no one will change my mind. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Did you know that they have recently discovered that Alzheimers disease is a type of insulin resistance in the brain, making it a type of diabetes. These are the type of discoveries made with clinical trials which is what these type of journal articles are citing. My point is, this is not "ridiculous research". It is not "bs" and not believing it or choosing to remain uneducated and cynical is not going to make it untrue. It is derived from studies and the data is scientific. It is perfectly fine for you to have an opinion and believe what you want to believe but that does not make the truth non existent. It is a fact that studies are finding that formula feeding DOES increase the risk of Type 1 diabetes. I am sorry your daughter has DM and I am sure you manage it very well and have a lot of knowledge regarding that topic. But it still remains fact that when compared with breastfed babies, formula fed babies have a higher risk of this. No one is judging the reason for your choice to ff nor are they saying you did anything wrong or are at fault. It is just a stated fact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)