Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you choose not to BF, and your child gets a disease that could have been prevented ...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (201-210):
MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Women who had GD's children are also put on higher risk for developing diabetes. Would you know what type that would be? I assume if a child develops diabetes it is type 1 right?

Quoting tyfry7496:

Type 1 diabetes can NOT be prevented. Type 1 diabetes is the pancreas no longer producing insulin and not processing carbs correctly. I know 3 kids under 8 yrs old that have Type 1 and ALL were breasted. Their endo doc even stated that it can no be prevented.

Type 2 can be prevented.

Women who have Gestational diabetes are at a much higher risk of developing diabetes.

And NO, I wouldn't want a "do over". I can't change what God decided my child would be. I didnt bf and my son is much healthier than my friends child who was bf.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

So for argument sake lets say your child gets type 1 diabetes, would you not wonder if it is something that could have been prevented? I know there isn't a lot of evidence going around, so I'm just curious. What if in 20 years time there is hard evidence that BFing could have prevented your child from developing Type 1 diabetes? Would you like to have a do over?

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No because I believe they would have gotten the disease regardless of how they were fed at infancy. If you're meant to have a disease when you're older it will still happen.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I think, and this is what I'm concluding from all the replies, that as a mom we would always wonder if there isn't something else we could do for our children. I don't think there is any right or wrong decisions as each of us will make them based on our circumstances. Nothing is set in stone...

Quoting lisa601:

I've had conversations with friends about this. They bf and were surprised to be dealing with Type1, eczema, food allergies, nut allergies, asthma, autism and chronic ear infections that led to tubes. Even though they bf they are still left wondering if there was something else they could have done.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Sorry, sleep deprived I totally missed that.

I actually learned a lot in this post. I'm just sorry a lot of ladies got into heated fights, that wasn't what I set out to do. So you believe it's a dumb post, I actually got to see 2 different sides of the coin. If I wanted a BF only opinion I would've posted in that group. Sometimes it's good to hear both sides of the argument. So I think it was totally worth posting, and if it's so dumb, why even waist time reading or replying... I skip over posts that I don't care about.

Quoting jj4ij:

I agree with you. Did you not read the next sentence stating that the statement was sarcaasm? I think the whole post is BS and I wrote that being sarcastic, I was not in any way stating anything I believe in that sentence. I was trying to sound as dumb as the topic of this post is.
Please, I am not that niave.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'd like to disagree with your comment about 3rd world countries bfing. That isn't true at all. Countries like South Africa is considered 3rd world and just like in America bf is a choice, not a necessity, so a lot of Mothers ff.

Quoting jj4ij:

According to you all of the babies in third world countries would be healthy with no diseases.  They are pretty much all breast fed. 

That was sarcaasm : ) 

I totally do not agree with what you say.  I think that you will get diseases with or without breastfeeding.  There is no right answer, you can breastfeed and end up with a child who turns into an adult with a lot of different health problems, or you can formula feed and have the same outcome, or the opposite for both.  You can NEVER know.  My dad was Breast fed and he had a lot of health problems, diabetes included.  He ended up dying of cancer at the age of 58.  Many others who were formula fed grow up to live to 100, perfectly healthy.  You can never know.  I do think that breast milk is wonderful for kids, but I really do not believe it offers any benefits that Formula can offer except the closer bonding between mom and baby.  I am sorry I just don't agree. 

lisa601
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I just read recently there is now a Type 1 1/2. My son is type 1 and it affects everyone so differently. I just learned the lifeguard at our pool is type 1 but can't take Lantus because it drops her too low.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I've been on pills, more pills, insulin off of insulin and had more blood work done. I've been diagnosed with GD, then Type 1, now insulin has been taken away and it looks like type 2. Apparently they thought I was going through a honeymoon phase, when I injected I crashed. Without the insulin I spike... it's just really ridiculous and I don't even want to know how you manage your child's diabetes as it really is a roller coaster ride. I do not wish this on anybody. As for your question, I'm glad I don't have cancer. Yes there is worst diseases out there. Doesn't mean I cannot feel the way I do. I resent this disease as I'm sure I would resent any disease.... I feel with my beautiful daughter came a horrible disease... and I hate it.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

No, as a mom, your world would not stop. For my daughters sake, my world had to keep going because she IS my world and I HAVE to take care of her until she can take care of herself and I won't even leave her alone then. I can't tell you how many times I wish I were diabetic so I could understand better what she's going through. I think if you think its awful, you might not have gotten that good of a hold on it already. It took awhile to get on the right path with my daughter, which included changing drs and medicine. Would you rather have cancer? probably not, so its not the worst thing in the world. Its all about perspective. 

Again, do you take insulin? Are you type 1 or 2 now? do you take pills?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

This is my question and diabetes affects my life, so I'm sorry if you are annoyed about me including it in this post, but I need answers and I thought this to be a good place to ask. I'm having a horrible time coping with the fact that I' diabetic, so I'll disagree with your statement that it's not the worst thing in the world. For me, it's pretty damn awe full, and if my dd got it, my world would stop.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Im actually pretty annoyed you included diabetes in this. My daughter is 4 and has it and she was formula fed. There is absolutely no way breast feeding could've prevented it. If your kid has the genetic makeup for it, its going to happen. GD has nothing to do with a history of Type 1 (which is what kids would have) You might just have the genetic make up for diabetes. Also, a history of OTHER auto immune disorders such as celiacs, lupus, thyroid disorders, can make a child pre disposed to an autoimmune disease. My mother, and both of her parents have thyroid disorders so that is where the drs believe her diabetes came from .Now from me not breastfeeding. 

You are a type 2 diabetic most likely?,  although Iguess you could be type 1 depending on how your pancreas works... but GD, and then getting diabetes after  doesn't make your child at risk for type 1 (childhood). And I have to say its really not the worst thing in the world. 

My daughter would've gotten it regardless. Breastfeeding does not have anything to do with how well pancreases (?)  work. I believe the drs. Formula did not kill my daughters pancreas

On another note... Do  you take insulin?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I can see how that could be (and obviously has been) read wrong. This is the problem with writing a post, replying, texting, emailing as it always carries the risk of being misunderstood. English is my second language and so sometimes it comes out the best way I can possilby say it. Yes the way you worded it is way better and hence I'm not a politician because obviously I would suck at it!

I'm just not going to appologise for what you READ into what I SAID. As it is so far from what is actually written. So be free to do with that what ever you want. I know my heart and I know how I meant it. FYI I CANNOT pump enough whilst working so I also supplement with FORMULA. And where did you get xanax and valium from? I didn't even type that! So yes, I WAS MISQUOTED.

Quoting DarlaHood:

Your original post wasn't really offensive.  Where you got off track was in your responses to the response posts. I can appreciate your edit, your story, and your effort to learn.  Perhaps you really don't mean to be offensive and condescending, but honestly, you're doing it again while you're apologizing.  Let me clue you in:

I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over

See it's the word "wrong" that changes your statement. It's a biased statement because the implication is that the decision to FF was "wrong".  That's different than simply saying, "If my child were to become ill, I would most definitely go back and do something differently if I knew it could prevent her illness."

It's even fine to ask, "If you did not breastfeed, would you regret that decision if your child were later diagnosed with diabetes because there was a higher risk?"

But it is offensive and condescending for you to go off saying that formula feeding your child is similar to (or actually worse than) exposing them to Xanax and Valium (which you did infer), and that breastfeeding is the only sound choice (also inferred), that a mother's choice to FF could be solely and directly responsible for a specific illness (which is not true), and that she should feel terrible about that because she didn't heed the warning of the risks. 

There is no direct link between any specific illness and FF babies.  And in science class, we learn that correlation does not equal cause.  There could be countless confounding or contributing factors that lead to a particular illness, including the very genes you pass on to your child.  Are you going to feel guilty that you mated with a guy with a genetic predisposition to something?  Because that is a greater risk to your child.  All of life is a balance of calculated risk.

No one misquoted you at all.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Oh and I said SOMETHING... that could be anything, not Formula. I'd like to go back if I had the option to go back when I did SOMETHING (insert left hot water on stove, took my eyes of my child, whatever you feel you did wrong) wrong. Also did everyone miss the FIRST sentence in this post?! 

'I'm not bashing...' did that not cover the word choices?

Quoting DarlaHood:

Your original post wasn't really offensive.  Where you got off track was in your responses to the response posts. I can appreciate your edit, your story, and your effort to learn.  Perhaps you really don't mean to be offensive and condescending, but honestly, you're doing it again while you're apologizing.  Let me clue you in:

I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over

See it's the word "wrong" that changes your statement. It's a biased statement because the implication is that the decision to FF was "wrong".  That's different than simply saying, "If my child were to become ill, I would most definitely go back and do something differently if I knew it could prevent her illness."

It's even fine to ask, "If you did not breastfeed, would you regret that decision if your child were later diagnosed with diabetes because there was a higher risk?"

But it is offensive and condescending for you to go off saying that formula feeding your child is similar to (or actually worse than) exposing them to Xanax and Valium (which you did infer), and that breastfeeding is the only sound choice (also inferred), that a mother's choice to FF could be solely and directly responsible for a specific illness (which is not true), and that she should feel terrible about that because she didn't heed the warning of the risks. 

There is no direct link between any specific illness and FF babies.  And in science class, we learn that correlation does not equal cause.  There could be countless confounding or contributing factors that lead to a particular illness, including the very genes you pass on to your child.  Are you going to feel guilty that you mated with a guy with a genetic predisposition to something?  Because that is a greater risk to your child.  All of life is a balance of calculated risk.

MoeksieNature
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I've recently heard about a type 3 that's supposed to be linked to food choices... 

Quoting lisa601:

I just read recently there is now a Type 1 1/2. My son is type 1 and it affects everyone so differently. I just learned the lifeguard at our pool is type 1 but can't take Lantus because it drops her too low.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I've been on pills, more pills, insulin off of insulin and had more blood work done. I've been diagnosed with GD, then Type 1, now insulin has been taken away and it looks like type 2. Apparently they thought I was going through a honeymoon phase, when I injected I crashed. Without the insulin I spike... it's just really ridiculous and I don't even want to know how you manage your child's diabetes as it really is a roller coaster ride. I do not wish this on anybody. As for your question, I'm glad I don't have cancer. Yes there is worst diseases out there. Doesn't mean I cannot feel the way I do. I resent this disease as I'm sure I would resent any disease.... I feel with my beautiful daughter came a horrible disease... and I hate it.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

No, as a mom, your world would not stop. For my daughters sake, my world had to keep going because she IS my world and I HAVE to take care of her until she can take care of herself and I won't even leave her alone then. I can't tell you how many times I wish I were diabetic so I could understand better what she's going through. I think if you think its awful, you might not have gotten that good of a hold on it already. It took awhile to get on the right path with my daughter, which included changing drs and medicine. Would you rather have cancer? probably not, so its not the worst thing in the world. Its all about perspective. 

Again, do you take insulin? Are you type 1 or 2 now? do you take pills?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

This is my question and diabetes affects my life, so I'm sorry if you are annoyed about me including it in this post, but I need answers and I thought this to be a good place to ask. I'm having a horrible time coping with the fact that I' diabetic, so I'll disagree with your statement that it's not the worst thing in the world. For me, it's pretty damn awe full, and if my dd got it, my world would stop.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Im actually pretty annoyed you included diabetes in this. My daughter is 4 and has it and she was formula fed. There is absolutely no way breast feeding could've prevented it. If your kid has the genetic makeup for it, its going to happen. GD has nothing to do with a history of Type 1 (which is what kids would have) You might just have the genetic make up for diabetes. Also, a history of OTHER auto immune disorders such as celiacs, lupus, thyroid disorders, can make a child pre disposed to an autoimmune disease. My mother, and both of her parents have thyroid disorders so that is where the drs believe her diabetes came from .Now from me not breastfeeding. 

You are a type 2 diabetic most likely?,  although Iguess you could be type 1 depending on how your pancreas works... but GD, and then getting diabetes after  doesn't make your child at risk for type 1 (childhood). And I have to say its really not the worst thing in the world. 

My daughter would've gotten it regardless. Breastfeeding does not have anything to do with how well pancreases (?)  work. I believe the drs. Formula did not kill my daughters pancreas

On another note... Do  you take insulin?

Quoting MoeksieNature:

Edit:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
No, just because a child gets diabetes, that doesn't mean it's type I. More and more children are developing type II now. It all has
to do with pancreatic function and insulin response. Not the age of the patient. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

Women who had GD's children are also put on higher risk for developing diabetes. Would you know what type that would be? I assume if a child develops diabetes it is type 1 right?

Quoting tyfry7496:

Type 1 diabetes can NOT be prevented. Type 1 diabetes is the pancreas no longer producing insulin and not processing carbs correctly. I know 3 kids under 8 yrs old that have Type 1 and ALL were breasted. Their endo doc even stated that it can no be prevented.

Type 2 can be prevented.

Women who have Gestational diabetes are at a much higher risk of developing diabetes.

And NO, I wouldn't want a "do over". I can't change what God decided my child would be. I didnt bf and my son is much healthier than my friends child who was bf.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

So for argument sake lets say your child gets type 1 diabetes, would you not wonder if it is something that could have been prevented? I know there isn't a lot of evidence going around, so I'm just curious. What if in 20 years time there is hard evidence that BFing could have prevented your child from developing Type 1 diabetes? Would you like to have a do over?

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No because I believe they would have gotten the disease regardless of how they were fed at infancy. If you're meant to have a disease when you're older it will still happen.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM
She is referring to me posting that it is more beneficial for a mother to continue breastfeeding with non chronic use of Xanax or Valium (L3) than to stop and formula feed which is an L4. This wasn't being "inferred", it was straight up being told. Anyone with knowledge of lactation risk categories and Dr Hales information on medication and mothers milk would easily back this up. It's just the truth and people can choose to believe it or not. Doesn't matter to me.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I can see how that could be (and obviously has been) read wrong. This is the problem with writing a post, replying, texting, emailing as it always carries the risk of being misunderstood. English is my second language and so sometimes it comes out the best way I can possilby say it. Yes the way you worded it is way better and hence I'm not a politician because obviously I would suck at it!

I'm just not going to appologise for what you READ into what I SAID. As it is so far from what is actually written. So be free to do with that what ever you want. I know my heart and I know how I meant it. FYI I CANNOT pump enough whilst working so I also supplement with FORMULA. And where did you get xanax and valium from? I didn't even type that! So yes, I WAS MISQUOTED.

Quoting DarlaHood:

I

would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had

the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over

jj4ij
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Now that I read what I responded to you, it was REALLY mean.  I wasn't feeling mean, nor did I mean to be.   I don't know what has gotten into me lately.  I am a little full of "rage".  I apologise.  It was uncalled for.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

Sorry, sleep deprived I totally missed that.

I actually learned a lot in this post. I'm just sorry a lot of ladies got into heated fights, that wasn't what I set out to do. So you believe it's a dumb post, I actually got to see 2 different sides of the coin. If I wanted a BF only opinion I would've posted in that group. Sometimes it's good to hear both sides of the argument. So I think it was totally worth posting, and if it's so dumb, why even waist time reading or replying... I skip over posts that I don't care about.

Quoting jj4ij:

I agree with you. Did you not read the next sentence stating that the statement was sarcaasm? I think the whole post is BS and I wrote that being sarcastic, I was not in any way stating anything I believe in that sentence. I was trying to sound as dumb as the topic of this post is.
Please, I am not that niave.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

I'd like to disagree with your comment about 3rd world countries bfing. That isn't true at all. Countries like South Africa is considered 3rd world and just like in America bf is a choice, not a necessity, so a lot of Mothers ff.

Quoting jj4ij:

According to you all of the babies in third world countries would be healthy with no diseases.  They are pretty much all breast fed. 

That was sarcaasm : ) 

I totally do not agree with what you say.  I think that you will get diseases with or without breastfeeding.  There is no right answer, you can breastfeed and end up with a child who turns into an adult with a lot of different health problems, or you can formula feed and have the same outcome, or the opposite for both.  You can NEVER know.  My dad was Breast fed and he had a lot of health problems, diabetes included.  He ended up dying of cancer at the age of 58.  Many others who were formula fed grow up to live to 100, perfectly healthy.  You can never know.  I do think that breast milk is wonderful for kids, but I really do not believe it offers any benefits that Formula can offer except the closer bonding between mom and baby.  I am sorry I just don't agree. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured