Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If you choose not to BF, and your child gets a disease that could have been prevented ...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

This is so true in many circumstances. Thank you, Christine.

Quoting Christine0813:

You know exactly how this post is going to go down. Whether one chooses to BF or not, it will not prevent you from getting a disease. A person can't and shouldn't live on 'what ifs.'

I'm going on 40, and my mother formula fed me. Knock on wood, I'm very healthy. If I get sick, it isn't because she formula fed me.

Breastfed and formula fed people can, and do get the same diseases.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I'm sorry, I'm having some trouble with this post. You seriously think breast feeding can prevent diabetes?
Well, my 12 yr old niece who was extended breast fed (until 20 months) was diagnosed with type 1 just shy of her 4th birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I agree with you.  A lot of times if I have a mom who has mentioned that she had to start supplementing with formula, I will ask if she wants my help to get back to ebf. If she says no, fine, but if she wants my help, that's when I will step in full force. It's all about individual choices and no one should feel guilty for those choices. But when a mom comes on here, upset and saddened that she had to stop bf because she "wasnt' making enough", that to me screams, "I would love advice to get back to ebf" and that's when I will offer help. KWIM?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I think it is just the way the post is worded. 
But being a mom who highly advocates breastfeeding, being forced to use formula, it is an adjustment. I never automatically judged when I saw a mom feeding a baby formula, but I always wondered why. Now I feel guilty for even wondering why.  
I feel sorry for those moms who feel guilty for formula feeding.  Mom's get so much judgement as it is, being a crunchy mom I get a lot of looks and snide remarks from my amazing family, and from a few friends. 
Thankfully I have an awesome crunchy community that understands.
All in all, I just think that we, as breast feeding advocates, should put the information out there, and leave it. Not ask "Are you feeling guilty yet? How about now?Not yet? Here is another study, how about now?"
Just like car seats, put the information out there, and pray that they move in the right direction for their family.
I think that is why there is so much anger associated with formula vs. breast.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

Of course you shouldn't feel guilty. I remember your post now from awhile ago about having to formula feed your foster kids. I have a lot of respect for you. I think the point of this post was.... if you were ABLE to BF but chose not to, would you feel guilty later on if your child developed a disease that formula is known to increase the risk of.  A LOT of moms on here are extremely defensive when it comes to formula feeding and this leads me to believe a lot of it is guilt over not doing what's best for your child when you CAN. Thinking your supply is low because baby cries all the time, baby getting teeth, wanting baby to sleep all night so starting a heavy, cereal containing, slow digesting formula, going back to work... those are NOT valid reasons to HAVE TO  formula feed. In those cases the mom was either given misinformation or she simply didn't want to BF (which is 100% ok). Not legally being able to BF, having IGT, being knocked out in the ICU for weeks.... those ARE valid reasons you cannot BF.

I am NOT saying that anyone is wrong for their decision to formula feed. That is a personal decision but people who get offended by others advocating breastfeeding need to step back and think about why they get so offended.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

okay, but the post is saying "Would you blame yourself if your child got this?" 
Some people don't have a choice.
 I know what the benefits are to breast milk. I am a breastfeeding advocate. But will be formula feeding our babies, because I am not allowed to breast feed them or give them breast milk of any kind. 
If we adopt them, am I to feel guilty that I couldn't give them the best? No. This post could have been worded better, it is pretty much enforcing mommy guilt.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

It's not saying BF prevents them. It's saying formula feeding causes/increases them. BF is the standard and everything else is just a comparison. That's what those statistics mean.

I agree that there is no reason to blame yourself and feel guilty for not BF. Everyone chooses to do things for a reason. No one should be ridiculed or looked down on for not BF. However, there are dozens of benefits to it and zero benefits of formula feeding. That's something that can't be argued.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I don't think breastfeeding prevents those things fully. Genetics and diet have a lot to do with those. 
So trying to blame yourself for that later on will only lead to more mommy guilt.  

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Formula fed babies have a 64% higher risk of developing Type II DM than a breastfed baby. Breastfeeding doesn't prevent anything per say, it is the standard. Formula increases the risk. I don't know what the statistics are on Type 1 DM because that's obviously a whole different ballgame! All these people are saying they have certain diseases and were bf, or are perfectly healthy and were FF. However, this is a very small percentage of the world population in which statistics are gathered. Overall, the facts support formula feeding increasing the risk of disease, including a 56% higher risk of SIDS than a BF baby. It's just facts. Not asking for a debate or to be rude and judgemental. It is what it is.

Quoting crwspringer:

I'm sorry, I'm having some trouble with this post. You seriously think breast feeding can prevent diabetes?
Well, my 12 yr old niece who was extended breast fed (until 20 months) was diagnosed with type 1 just shy of her 4th birthday.

Momniscient
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Correlation is not causation and if I chose not to bf it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Breastmilk is not a miracle it is merely food.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

A miracle food :)

Quoting Momniscient:

Correlation is not causation and if I chose not to bf it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Momniscient
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Nope. Merely food.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Momniscient:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I remember being so frustrated about my supply. We got a really bad start, some really bad advice from a LC, and a very bad latch. 
My supply dwindled and dwindled. At one point we were nursing for an hour and weighing her after and she had only gained an ounce.  I tried fenugreek,  mothers milk tea, blessed thistle, drinking an outrageous amount of water, eating cereal, pumping after every feeding, etc. 
I remember posting about my milk supply and thinking (please, just someone tell me it is okay to just quit, I can't take this any more, I am starting to resent my daughter). And all I got was "try this, try that, you aren't trying hard enough, don't give her a drop of formula"  I felt like a terrible mother. 
I eventually had to supplement her because she hadn't gained any weight since birth and was about 2 months old. She was still 7lbs 8oz.
She had left the hospital at 7lbs 12oz, so it wasn't like she wasn't getting any at the beginning. She was miserable. And i felt like a terrible mother.
So I started giving her formula and saw my sweet little girl come back to life.  She started to mimic me smiling at her and was staying awake more than 5 minutes at a time. She was pink and pretty and happy and so was I. 
I knew breast milk was best, but mine wasn't working. So I searched and searched for another option.
My friend (whom had a baby the same day as me!) ended up having more than enough of a supply and had a deep freezer full of milk. So she made it to 11 months, almost 1 year old, on breast milk, with about 2 months of full formula after 7 months old when I completely dried up....not a drop. 

So even when someone is posting that their supply is dwindling, they might just be looking for support and not what to try to keep breast feeding. Just a thought.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

I agree with you.  A lot of times if I have a mom who has mentioned that she had to start supplementing with formula, I will ask if she wants my help to get back to ebf. If she says no, fine, but if she wants my help, that's when I will step in full force. It's all about individual choices and no one should feel guilty for those choices. But when a mom comes on here, upset and saddened that she had to stop bf because she "wasnt' making enough", that to me screams, "I would love advice to get back to ebf" and that's when I will offer help. KWIM?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I think it is just the way the post is worded. 
But being a mom who highly advocates breastfeeding, being forced to use formula, it is an adjustment. I never automatically judged when I saw a mom feeding a baby formula, but I always wondered why. Now I feel guilty for even wondering why.  
I feel sorry for those moms who feel guilty for formula feeding.  Mom's get so much judgement as it is, being a crunchy mom I get a lot of looks and snide remarks from my amazing family, and from a few friends. 
Thankfully I have an awesome crunchy community that understands.
All in all, I just think that we, as breast feeding advocates, should put the information out there, and leave it. Not ask "Are you feeling guilty yet? How about now?Not yet? Here is another study, how about now?"
Just like car seats, put the information out there, and pray that they move in the right direction for their family.
I think that is why there is so much anger associated with formula vs. breast.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

Of course you shouldn't feel guilty. I remember your post now from awhile ago about having to formula feed your foster kids. I have a lot of respect for you. I think the point of this post was.... if you were ABLE to BF but chose not to, would you feel guilty later on if your child developed a disease that formula is known to increase the risk of.  A LOT of moms on here are extremely defensive when it comes to formula feeding and this leads me to believe a lot of it is guilt over not doing what's best for your child when you CAN. Thinking your supply is low because baby cries all the time, baby getting teeth, wanting baby to sleep all night so starting a heavy, cereal containing, slow digesting formula, going back to work... those are NOT valid reasons to HAVE TO  formula feed. In those cases the mom was either given misinformation or she simply didn't want to BF (which is 100% ok). Not legally being able to BF, having IGT, being knocked out in the ICU for weeks.... those ARE valid reasons you cannot BF.

I am NOT saying that anyone is wrong for their decision to formula feed. That is a personal decision but people who get offended by others advocating breastfeeding need to step back and think about why they get so offended.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

okay, but the post is saying "Would you blame yourself if your child got this?" 
Some people don't have a choice.
 I know what the benefits are to breast milk. I am a breastfeeding advocate. But will be formula feeding our babies, because I am not allowed to breast feed them or give them breast milk of any kind. 
If we adopt them, am I to feel guilty that I couldn't give them the best? No. This post could have been worded better, it is pretty much enforcing mommy guilt.  

Quoting stepconfused182:

It's not saying BF prevents them. It's saying formula feeding causes/increases them. BF is the standard and everything else is just a comparison. That's what those statistics mean.

I agree that there is no reason to blame yourself and feel guilty for not BF. Everyone chooses to do things for a reason. No one should be ridiculed or looked down on for not BF. However, there are dozens of benefits to it and zero benefits of formula feeding. That's something that can't be argued.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I don't think breastfeeding prevents those things fully. Genetics and diet have a lot to do with those. 
So trying to blame yourself for that later on will only lead to more mommy guilt.  

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
It would never even cross my mind that it had to do with how they were fed at infancy. I believe its either genetic, environment, or how a person takes care of their health overall.

Quoting MoeksieNature:

So for argument sake lets say your child gets type 1 diabetes, would you not wonder if it is something that could have been prevented? I know there isn't a lot of evidence going around, so I'm just curious. What if in 20 years time there is hard evidence that BFing could have prevented your child from developing Type 1 diabetes? Would you like to have a do over?

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No because I believe they would have gotten the disease regardless of how they were fed at infancy. If you're meant to have a disease when you're older it will still happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

That's unfortunate that you feel that way. To each his own.

What are those blue waffles??

Quoting Momniscient:

Nope. Merely food.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)