Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you choose not to BF, and your child gets a disease that could have been prevented ...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not bashing anyone, or trying to cause fights, so lets respect each other's answers... I would just like a conversation started  where people share their thoughts and opinions on this topic...

I'll start out by saying this: My father was bottle fed after he got really ill, almost died, and the shock to my grandmother's system made her dry up. I was bottle fed too and so was my sibling. However I choose to BF my LO because I feel that I can protect her against diseases like diabetes, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia and ploric stenosis, to name a few.

So my question is this: If you choose not to BF and in 10, 20, 30, 40 years your DD or DS got diagnosed with an illness that is life changing, would you like to turn back the years and BF as it would reduce your child's risk to this disease or do you think your child won't get it, or do you think your child will get it no matter what you do today?

Edit:

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories. I'm sorry to hear about so many children that is affected by diabetes. I chose diabetes as an example because I was diagnosed with GD that didn't go away and stayed after my daughter was born. There is no family history of diabetes, across family where my grandfather was one of 18 children and my other grandfather one of 11, so I have a huge family. I'm not overweight. I've always eaten healthy food, loved salad and vegetables  etc and yet, now I'm diabetic. 

So my reason for asking was not to make people feel like their parenting choices were bad or that breastfeeding is better or to make moms feel like failures or that they should blame themselves. I'm trying to figure out WHAT on earth LED to MY illness. As a mom I would most definitely go back and redo something I did wrong if I had the means to do so. We all do our best, but we all want a do over.

The illnesses that I quoted in my original question was what I researched on the web. Not something I sucked out of my thumb. And just to clarify AGAIN, I'm not accusing anybody. I was ff. I read a lot of interesting answers that made me think. I need people to challenge my thoughts so that I can push myself further into trying to understand this condition. BECAUSE I AM DIABETIC, my child has a risk of being diabetic. I'm allowed to ask questions without having to be insulted. Trust me if I wanted to insult mothers, you would know about it.

I do believe that breastfeeding reduces your child's risk to these diseases and others thats not mentioned. I don't however said that it would PREVENT them from getting it. So please don't misquote me.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (211-217):
paganmommy4
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Breast feeding CAN possibly reduce illnesses later in life however its not a cure-all. Diabetes is genetic or a lifestyle problem, cancer is not prevented by breast feeding

LadyMinni
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:45 AM

These diseases can come regardless of whether or not you breastfeed. Most cannot be prevented 100% by anything. You know what is a higher contributing factor to most than breastfeeding? Race. Not kidding. If you are white, specifically of any kind of British descent, your kids will be more likely to have allergies and bad eyesight. If you're black, your kid is more likely to have sickle-cell anemia. Asians are actually pretty genetically sound, though they tend towards shortness.

A mother's diet while breastfeeding can also cause problems in children. First of all any pills you take, your baby also takes. If you eat spicy food, your baby eats spicy food. If you eat sugar, your baby eats sugar. You can overload your babies with these things and cause your baby to OD, have indigestion, or get diabetes.

I have to take pills for pain and reflux that my kids would get very sick from ingesting, so even if I had breastmilk to give them, I wouldn't breastfeed.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

A lot of what you said is misconception. A mother can generally eat whatever she wants and her breastmilk will still be a perfect mixture of nutrients for her baby. Some mothers do have to do an elimination diet for things like dairy, soy and wheat, etc but most of the time, you don't need to change a thing. It's a myth that you can't eat spicy or gassy foods without effecting baby. There are also very few medications that cause you to withhold breastfeeding. Including pain and reflux meds. These are very common misconceptions that keep mothers from breastfeeding. It's very important that doctors (especially pediatricians) be educated on this topic so they do not sway others from bf for unnecessary reasons. Lastly, bf does not prevent anything. Formula INCREASES the risk of these diseases. Think of bf as the bottom line, the standard and everything else is an alteration of that and increases risk of developing all the mentioned diseases.

Quoting LadyMinni:

These diseases can come regardless of whether or not you breastfeed. Most cannot be prevented 100% by anything. You know what is a higher contributing factor to most than breastfeeding? Race. Not kidding. If you are white, specifically of any kind of British descent, your kids will be more likely to have allergies and bad eyesight. If you're black, your kid is more likely to have sickle-cell anemia. Asians are actually pretty genetically sound, though they tend towards shortness.

A mother's diet while breastfeeding can also cause problems in children. First of all any pills you take, your baby also takes. If you eat spicy food, your baby eats spicy food. If you eat sugar, your baby eats sugar. You can overload your babies with these things and cause your baby to OD, have indigestion, or get diabetes.

I have to take pills for pain and reflux that my kids would get very sick from ingesting, so even if I had breastmilk to give them, I wouldn't breastfeed.

Runrunmommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM
We do have to give him insulin around the clock because he has an pump, though we only bolus during the day when he's eating or fighting an illness (usually highs appear at night), when his basal rates are changed we must monitor more vigilantly than usual. He is a growing boy and snacks a lot. He receives insulin 8-10 by bolus plus his basal insulin 24 hours a day. We've never had to use glucagon, thankfully.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

I've lived through it for 3 years too now. my daughter was 17 months old. I wouldn't call it living through the horror.. thats a little extreme. You also shouldn't need to give your child insulin every 2-4 hours at night. What insulins is your child on. I get up every 2 hours to check my daughter at night and I still dont consider it horrible or a burden. I wish she didn't have it but I'm so glad she doesn't have cancer or something worse.

Quoting Runrunmommy:

I breastfeeding my ds1 for 14 months and he was Dxd with type 1 diabetes at 25 months. I was shocked and thought my extended nursing would have prevented this disease. The truth is, no one has figured out why my lo a cause has t1d. Maybe it's in our genes, maybe it was a virus attacking his body, etc..I can't be naive and think that breastfeeding alone will protect my current nursling. I've got to give vitamins, stay current on shots, and be the best mom to my kids. My hubby and I lived thru the horror for three years already of having to give our baby insulin to keep him alive every two to four hour around the clock. It sucks and it has nothing to do with breastfeeding or not breastfeeding.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Runrunmommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM
And you wouldn't call it horrific? you must deal well with having to monitor about your child's blood sugar constantly. Having a child with a type 1 diabetes is not fun, in any sense of the word. We monitor very closely and worry when he's out with a babysitter or at school, what parent wouldn't? Even when you monitor tightly, you never have 100% control of the disease.

Quoting Runrunmommy:

We do have to give him insulin around the clock because he has an pump, though we only bolus during the day when he's eating or fighting an illness (usually highs appear at night), when his basal rates are changed we must monitor more vigilantly than usual. He is a growing boy and snacks a lot. He receives insulin 8-10 by bolus plus his basal insulin 24 hours a day. We've never had to use glucagon, thankfully.

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

I've lived through it for 3 years too now. my daughter was 17 months old. I wouldn't call it living through the horror.. thats a little extreme. You also shouldn't need to give your child insulin every 2-4 hours at night. What insulins is your child on. I get up every 2 hours to check my daughter at night and I still dont consider it horrible or a burden. I wish she didn't have it but I'm so glad she doesn't have cancer or something worse.

Quoting Runrunmommy:

I breastfeeding my ds1 for 14 months and he was Dxd with type 1 diabetes at 25 months. I was shocked and thought my extended nursing would have prevented this disease. The truth is, no one has figured out why my lo a cause has t1d. Maybe it's in our genes, maybe it was a virus attacking his body, etc..I can't be naive and think that breastfeeding alone will protect my current nursling. I've got to give vitamins, stay current on shots, and be the best mom to my kids. My hubby and I lived thru the horror for three years already of having to give our baby insulin to keep him alive every two to four hour around the clock. It sucks and it has nothing to do with breastfeeding or not breastfeeding.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

All my kids were bf to some point.I bf my oldest for a few months and my twins for almost 6 months.I have no regrets.My kids are healthy and happy.

LadyMinni
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No, it really isn't a misconception. I'm not saying that if you eat beans your baby will have gas or that if you eat salsa your baby will have reflux. You absolutely can give your baby indigestion, even diahrreah from what you eat. It has a lot to do with the mother. If she has issues from the food -like me and spices- her breastmilk can pass these things along as well. And Indian baby probably wouldn't have problems with spices because they have a genetically predisposed tolerance towards them.

Your breasts aren't these prefect, magical filters that make perfect, magical milk. If you eat crap, so will your baby. That's why breastfeeding women who have bad diets tend to have heavier and unhealthier babies. However the article I was given about severe excesses of sugar in breastmilk correlating to diabetes has been disproven since it was published, so I'll give you that one.

I don't know what pain or reflux meds you're taking, but mine would kill any baby I tried to breastfeed. My reflux pills can cause kidney failure in a remarkably short time in infants, and you NEVER breastfeed while on narcotics. To do so or to say you can do so is completely irresponsible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured