Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to get the ParaGard, but I'm scared....houghts?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
  • 18 Replies

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this
What scares you about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

All forms of birth control scare me.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have paragard.  What are you afraid of?

Presley77
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I loooooooooove mine!!! Best BC ever for me!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

what are you scared about?

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -PB:

Personally, what scares me about it is the pain of insertion. I cannot deal with Pap Smears, so I cannot imagine........I did the research, asked friends about it who have it, and actually watched YouTube videos about the insertion, but I am a punk. If there was a way that the doctor could put me to asleep during the insertion, I'll be fine.

larschick
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
How is paragaurd different than mirena?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Mirena is hormonal, paragard is copper (non-hormonial).  They look the same, are inserted the same, but have different side effects.  Mirena has side effects similar to birth control pills and makes your period lighter or disappear.  Paragard has no hormonal side effects.  It can possibly make your periods heavier and menstrual cramps worse but that subsides for most people within 6 months of insertion.  Paragard lasts 10 years, mirena 5 years.  They both have risks for uterine wall rupture.

Quoting larschick:

How is paragaurd different than mirena?

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have problems with paps smears then you might not be a good candidate for an IUD.  It literally only takes about 2 to 3 minutes to insert but they told me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen before because it can hurt a bit.  Its more painful if you've never had a vaginal birth (I had a c-section) but its still not that bad imo.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

Quoting -PB:

Personally, what scares me about it is the pain of insertion. I cannot deal with Pap Smears, so I cannot imagine........I did the research, asked friends about it who have it, and actually watched YouTube videos about the insertion, but I am a punk. If there was a way that the doctor could put me to asleep during the insertion, I'll be fine.

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. What bothers me is that I know it is one of the most effective b.c.'s out there, it is cost effective, and it lasts ten beautiful years. PB, I know it is a mental thing I have, and whatever the mind says, the body follows. Thanks for your honest and tactful response.

Quoting -PB:

If you have problems with paps smears then you might not be a good candidate for an IUD.  It literally only takes about 2 to 3 minutes to insert but they told me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen before because it can hurt a bit.  Its more painful if you've never had a vaginal birth (I had a c-section) but its still not that bad imo.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

Quoting -PB:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured