Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (241-250):
nocalmegan
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It isn't good for him at all. Cardboard has more nutritional value.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

a bit of rice cearal is good just dont put it in the bottle.it isnt good for him to have it in the bottle

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Supply and demand, have you tried using a dule pump and pumping about 20 min or so after he is done eating? I had supply issues for a bit with my DS but id pump 3x a day about an hour after he ate and it fixed it, he is now 5 months old and we are still succesfully breast feeding

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

UmiFujii
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

This is my daughter who wasa born weighing 10 pounds and by one week was 11 pounds. She wanted to eat all the time. By age 2 she was the size of a 4 year old in height and weight. She was never fat and as you can see is still not fat. She was always heathy and rarely ever got illnesses. Sometimes babies eat a lot and grow a lot. Sometimes babies eat little and grow little. I breastfed her exclusively for the first two years as she had dairy and wheat allergies. In the beginning months it was hard on me with such frequent feedings and lack of sleep, but it was worth it!

Babies do finally get to a pattern of eating which is more reasonable (and not every 15 minutes to every hour). They do all finally sleep through the night and if you feed on demand, and do not have a medical condition such as breast cancer or hormonal problems, you CAN make enough milk. The frequent feedings actually encourage your body to make more milk. You do not have to be a large woman to make enough milk and even small breasts will produce milk if stimulated frequently enough. Supplementing with a bottle of formula actually lowers your milk production. 

Never limit feedings in a newborn out of fear of the baby becoming fat, especially if they take breast milk. Babies should not be really thin. In my home culture, a baby is healthy when pudgy and when they become adults their bodies have a more rapid metabolism. Limiting food intake in early life leads to the body slowing metabolism as a survival safeguard against starvation. Adding rice to such a young baby not recommended because it will replace the good breastmilk nutrients with and can result in food allergies. 

Just feed your baby when he is hungry (when he roots for food) and stop worrying. He looks healthy in the picture and I am sure he will grow up to be a healthy young man.

CutieCrab
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Please do not give him rice cereal in a bottle. Can cause babies to become over weight and rots the gums/teeth.  Unless your doctor says it is okay.

moodypbreg
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Sorry if you answered this and I missed it. Do you breastfeed both sides fully empty before every single bottle? Again forgive if I am repeating information. Hind milk (the very last bit in your breast) is where all the good stuff is its more filling and gives more growth also beast milk is supply and demand and many new moms don't produce enough because supplementing is started to early especialy in the craze phase before actual milk comes in. My suggestion as a mom that's breastfed 7 babies...breastfeed every time he is hungry til both sides are empty burp burp and more burp because as I'm sure you know gas can make them feel hungry than give formula. If he isn't hungry again in 20mins try to pump or hand express atleast enough to encourage more milk production. Make sure you are completely hydated rule of thumb is min. 1 large glass of water per feeding. Dehydration reduces milk supply. Nursing babies get hungrier more often than formula babies but they also don't over eat even if it seems like it formula babies can over eat at times and adding cereal encourages wieght gain and doesn't always satisfy. Also there are several things you can add to your diet to help increase you milk supply. I hope this helped and didn't repeat too much keep up the hard work being mommy sounds like you are doing great concerned and researching is awsome especialy when I'm sure you are still exhausted !
moodypbreg
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Ok sorry just read the water coments and had to add my two cents. Water should not be given alone on a reg basis before 4 to 8mo. In small amonts like 1ounce max water can be given for certain purposes like colic but water can be bad for the baby they get more than enough water in their milk too much water can give thme what is know as water poisoning (google it) and can make baby VERY sick...always talk to your pedi before adding anything, water, cereal, chamomile tea, solid foods extra we all have are own advice and knowledge and beliefs but your pedi is the one who should have the expertise here and if your gut tells you he doesn't than find a pedi you trust its one of the most important things you can do for you and baby
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:02 AM
This . Is. Perfect.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

First of all, you're not overfeeding. IMO, stop formula all together and just give breastmilk. Every hour or hour and a half is totally normal for a newborn. He's trying to not only regulate your breastmilk (the more he eats, the more you produce), but he's trying to regulate himself as well. He's only been alive for two WEEKS. Throw the clocks away and feed on demand. It's also impossible to overfeed a baby. He will eat when he's hungry and not eat when he's not hungry.

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Damn straight it does!

Quoting nocalmegan:

It isn't good for him at all. Cardboard has more nutritional value.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

a bit of rice cearal is good just dont put it in the bottle.it isnt good for him to have it in the bottle

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:07 AM
You said this so perfect mama! I agree with everything you said and would've said it the same exact way if you hadn't already.

Oh and I have a question for you about EBF for two years. I'm still EBF my 18 month old and its only cuz he's still 100% wanting it. I'm gonna let him bf til he's ready to be done

Quoting UmiFujii:

This is my daughter who wasa born weighing 10 pounds and by one week was 11 pounds. She wanted to eat all the time. By age 2 she was the size of a 4 year old in height and weight. She was never fat and as you can see is still not fat. She was always heathy and rarely ever got illnesses. Sometimes babies eat a lot and grow a lot. Sometimes babies eat little and grow little. I breastfed her exclusively for the first two years as she had dairy and wheat allergies. In the beginning months it was hard on me with such frequent feedings and lack of sleep, but it was worth it!

Babies do finally get to a pattern of eating which is more reasonable (and not every 15 minutes to every hour). They do all finally sleep through the night and if you feed on demand, and do not have a medical condition such as breast cancer or hormonal problems, you CAN make enough milk. The frequent feedings actually encourage your body to make more milk. You do not have to be a large woman to make enough milk and even small breasts will produce milk if stimulated frequently enough. Supplementing with a bottle of formula actually lowers your milk production. 

Never limit feedings in a newborn out of fear of the baby becoming fat, especially if they take breast milk. Babies should not be really thin. In my home culture, a baby is healthy when pudgy and when they become adults their bodies have a more rapid metabolism. Limiting food intake in early life leads to the body slowing metabolism as a survival safeguard against starvation. Adding rice to such a young baby not recommended because it will replace the good breastmilk nutrients with and can result in food allergies. 

Just feed your baby when he is hungry (when he roots for food) and stop worrying. He looks healthy in the picture and I am sure he will grow up to be a healthy young man.

DragonMom25
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM

My son was born at 9 pounds 3 ounces and 23.5 inches long (longest baby ever born in the hospital) and I exclusively nursed, had lactation consultants, blood tests on both of us, milk tests on me, and a double breast pump htat made me feel like a cow for the first 3 months.  he had not yet made it to size 2 diapers and was diagnosed failure to thrive-though I could pump 4-6 ounces in 20 minutes then feed him 20 minutes and give him the 4-6 ouces and he was still looking for more or looking for breast again in 30 minutes (even tried to latch onto my husband he was so hungry)

after being diagnosed as failing to thrive (all the tests came back perfect, I was producing way more than any other for his age) I was told to feed till empty (I could tell) then add a bottle of formula starting with 2 ounces.  well the lactation consultant came and watched him power through the 2 ounces and made me an 8 ounce bottle and he sucked almost all of that down before he turned away from the bottle... At 3 months he took 6 ounces of pumped warm breast milk, 20 minutes to suck out the rest and 9 ounces of formula!  the lactation consultant was horrified at the amount.  so yes you can have not enough milk even when you have a huge supply (that 6 ounces pumped was middle of the day after making him wait an hour....)  within 2 weeks of adding formula (where he only nursed every 3 hours instead of every 30 minutes) he was into size 3 diapers

Now he is a happy Healthy 16 year old on 4000 calories a day.  nothing wrong with him, just high metabolism, always has been!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN