Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (261-270):
newmommy2012144
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
He couLd ve a growth sprut. Usually one happens around this age. Ve patience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyricmother
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Quoting moodypbreg:

Sorry if you answered this and I missed it. Do you breastfeed both sides fully empty before every single bottle? Again forgive if I am repeating information. Hind milk (the very last bit in your breast) is where all the good stuff is its more filling and gives more growth also beast milk is supply and demand and many new moms don't produce enough because supplementing is started to early especialy in the craze phase before actual milk comes in. My suggestion as a mom that's breastfed 7 babies...breastfeed every time he is hungry til both sides are empty burp burp and more burp because as I'm sure you know gas can make them feel hungry than give formula. If he isn't hungry again in 20mins try to pump or hand express atleast enough to encourage more milk production. Make sure you are completely hydated rule of thumb is min. 1 large glass of water per feeding. Dehydration reduces milk supply. Nursing babies get hungrier more often than formula babies but they also don't over eat even if it seems like it formula babies can over eat at times and adding cereal encourages wieght gain and doesn't always satisfy. Also there are several things you can add to your diet to help increase you milk supply. I hope this helped and didn't repeat too much keep up the hard work being mommy sounds like you are doing great concerned and researching is awsome especialy when I'm sure you are still exhausted !

lyricmother
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Thank you for all the advice. I don't have a breast pump yet. I didn't get a baby shower and can't afford one yet but I do nurse both sides and then give him a bottle. Also occasionally his father will just make him a bottle when he wants to let me sleep because he's literally up all night.
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Quoting lyricmother:

Thank you for all the advice. I don't have a breast pump yet. I didn't get a baby shower and can't afford one yet but I do nurse both sides and then give him a bottle. Also occasionally his father will just make him a bottle when he wants to let me sleep because he's literally up all night.

Just go back and forth until he's done.   It may take a while... he's establishing your supply right now.   Dump the formula so dad can't feed him without your knowledge... are you co-sleeping?  

You can buy a pump for $30 if you feel you need one... they aren't expensive. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
shortyali
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM
You are aware that nazi's killed people and so far I have yet to meet a woman that has mass killed people for not breast feeding.

OP - I agree with many if the others on here. You really could stop the formula because it sounds like your baby is a normal 2 week old. They are supposed to want to nurse 24/7. That's how they build your supply for the long run and tell your body what they need. If you really want breast feeding advice that is correct and helpful without the snarky insulting comments go over to the breastfeeding moms group. There your questions won't get blown up with deadly advice like what you are getting here.
And baby cereal is about as useful as the box it comes in. I avoid that stuff with all of my children.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

All you breast feeding nazis are straying away from what the op is asking!!!! its not about formula versus breast milk ,..or why breast milk is better.....she;s is asking if its normal for her 2 weekold baby to be hungry all the time....and if it's ok to use baby cereal...jeez people!!!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Skipping. Nursing sessions will hurt your supply. If you miss one you need to pump for it. You have to nurse through every growth spurt. Trust me I just went through this. It gets better. I would be pissed if my husband gave our son formula. My husband would never do it though b/ c we both hate formula. Please join the breastfeeding group. We are really nice and only give advice that is fact based.

Quoting lyricmother:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

dfcinnamon
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

The milk or formula is not enough.  Get the rice or oatmeal cereal for babies mix a little with applesauce.  This should fill him up with the milk or formula.  They say don't feed them anything until six months.  This is a line of crap, I tried this 29 years ago with my youngiest son.  He was satisified  with this.  Try this and see if this works for you.

jjohovich
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Babies were breastfed by a wet nurse.  When a wet nurse was not available, they were fed a breast milk substitiute which caused many babies to become very ill, some to even die. Formula is an improvement on the substitutes of the past but it is still a processed food that should ony be used if no breast milk is available from the mother or donor sources. Obvioulsy when faced with starvation, formula is the best option. But formula companies have managed to completely fool everyone into thinking that formula is a healthy choice. Our culture has been transformed by formula marketing and their surrogates, doctors, who have convinced mothers that breastfeeding is a difficult, unsatisfactory way of feeding babies and that you should unburden yourself and provide baby with a "scientifically" created food.. This is rubbish. Pure propoganda. They are not providing their product as an altruistic gift, they are in the business of making money and have been lying to mothers for decades in order to make billions in profit.  You should check out the book The Politics of Breastfeeding. Also, a movie that is in the works called Bottled Up. The truth is a bit shocking but it is the truth nonetheless. 

Quoting april545:

what do you think they did in the old days before formula?????

DakotaHaley
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Well, all mothers are different and do things differently. I wouldn't do rice in a bottle I think he is to young for that yet. Besides they don't recommend putting anything in a bottle other then milk as they say that can tend to lead to obesity and over-feeding.

You never said how much he is actually eating at the moment. I would feed him within the guidelines of the doctor. I can't remember how much they eat at age. I would say he shouldn't be eating more then 4 ounces every four hours if formula and breast I am not sure about that. My doctor said let to nurse 15 min one side and another 15 min the other side.

Basically, he probably isn't hungry just fussy. Might be tired or something or gas or colic. I would feed him and after that just try to get him to calm down and to sleep or something. Feeding him everytime he cries I wouldn't do because he will pick up on that real quick.

lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

but obviously have not breastfed successfully do to misinformation. No BCLC would EVER tell a woman to use pumping as an indicator of supply. Take your bad attittude somewhere else. Just because you decided to listen to bad advice does not mean you should spread your bitterness around and try and make others fail.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

All your doing is re stating what the last bitch said......and when i was in the hospital with my second the lactation specailist made sure i had a pump and a feeding chart in my room so i could keep track of how often and how much i was pumping....So please take your 3 month old child and gallop off into the sunset on your high horse.....i have carried, birthed, 2 children and i dont need your advice.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I don't respond well to a pump. My son has gained 6 lbs in 3 months just on breast milk alone. Pumps are not be used to determine supply. An educated breastfeeding mother would know that. 

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Good try? Many women also have little convienant devices call BREAST PUMPS and they can see how much they are producing that way....I pumped every two hours for 3 months an never got more then 1 oz...i was later diagnosed with IGT..go look it up you judgmental bitch.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

unfortunately 'just knowing' is not an indicator of low supply. But good try.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Because women just knoiw their own body's *GASP*

Quoting rockinmomto2:

How do you know you're not producing enough?

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)