Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I would nurse on demand to bring up the supply. But you are the mom and have to  make the decision on what is best for your baby. :)

Paradys
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this
Why would you think you don't make enough? It's only been 2 weeks and they're supposed to nurse that often, their stomachs are the size of their fists. You'd be hungry every hr also.
Drop the formula and put him to the breast everytime he makes a noise, that's how you successfully breastfeed a newborn.
To know that you're making enough count diapers, 6+ diapers a day (poop counts as two wet).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You cant over feed a baby, he will stop and be happy when he is full. I was told to slow down my sons feedings when he was 2 weeks old, when i had him he was 9lbs 4oz, 4lbs when we took him home he was 9lbs. He was a big guy and was eating about every 2 hours, and when he got the bottle he would have about 3 oz each feeding his dr said to give him only 2 every 4 hours(he was 12 lbs at this visit) I think i tried it twice and he was raising hell so i fed him the other oz he wanted and he was fine. He will not over eat, ds is 20 months now and hes a big boy but is in no way over weight

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my oldest son, I swear we had to feed him all the time! One time I fed him several ounces, burped, dressed, drove to the grocery store, started shopping, and he began to cry, spit out the paci, he was inconsolable, all the people in the grocery store said "He sounds hungry" I said "No way, I JUST fed him!" Sure enough, that's all he needed was more food. Today he is 24, strong and healthy, he never got chubby.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Growth spurt. The first 6 weeks is a continual growth spurt. Drop the formula and nurse. Your supply will tank after a while if you supplement. I nursed every hour for 6 weeks straight. It's normal. Join the breastfeeding group. If diaper count is over 6/ day your supply is fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM
13 moms liked this
Terrible advice. Bf babies should always be fed on demand. The first 6 weeks is all growth spurts and supply regulating to match. I nursed every hour for 6 weeks and my son gained weight , diaper count was good, and by 7 weeks we went to every 2 hours. He did that on his own. Please join the breastfeeding group!

Quoting KLove_Mom:

It's probably a growth spurt. 

But the best thing to do for your own sanity, and for his growing appetite is to make him wait at least 2 hours if not 3 to eat. 

If he's eating every hour, he'll only be eating 1oz (for example), which is more a snack than a meal. Then of course he's hungry again in another hour.

If you make him wait, using a pacifier, or take him outside for a walk... then make sure you have more than enough ready to offer him when he eats. Then if he eats more than usual, he should be ready to wait.

So yes, you're in for one rough day... but definitely by the 3rd day he should be on a better schedule.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMommyhood12
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I followed a pretty tight schedule with my son.  I didn't go with the feed on demand route (everyone has their own theory. I'm not trying to promote mine. I think each parent has to figure out what's best for their child).  He ate every 2 hours at that point I think.  It was every 2 hours from when I STARTED feeding him - not when I finished.  So I too felt like I was feeding him every time I turned around.

As far as the amount - I don't think it matters if he's eating more than what's recommended in one sitting.  My LO ate more than the recommended amount of formula from the time he was born until he started transitioning to solid foods.  Then he would drink less.  He's a big boy - was 9.3 when born - is 16mos and is 29lbs, 33".  If the doctors start to worry about his weight - I'll worry about it.  He's healthy and happy - and ultimately that's all that matters.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Breastfeed babies are generally fed on demand because they (baby) determine your supply. (:  plus the first 6 weeks for bf babies are growth spurts to establish a good supply.  I know my child's hunger cry anyways. Formula also is hard to digest and sits on their stomachs. Breastmilk is easier to digest and Taylor made for baby. Another reason why bf babies eat more often.  

Quoting LoveMommyhood12:

I followed a pretty tight schedule with my son.  I didn't go with the feed on demand route (everyone has their own theory. I'm not trying to promote mine. I think each parent has to figure out what's best for their child).  He ate every 2 hours at that point I think.  It was every 2 hours from when I STARTED feeding him - not when I finished.  So I too felt like I was feeding him every time I turned around.

As far as the amount - I don't think it matters if he's eating more than what's recommended in one sitting.  My LO ate more than the recommended amount of formula from the time he was born until he started transitioning to solid foods.  Then he would drink less.  He's a big boy - was 9.3 when born - is 16mos and is 29lbs, 33".  If the doctors start to worry about his weight - I'll worry about it.  He's healthy and happy - and ultimately that's all that matters.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

goatmom4
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

no rice ceral before 5months he will choke  it causes    food allergies     if he nurses your body gets the    stimulation to make more so let him suck      if you are nervice get a babay scale and weigh him after feedings then it helps you know if he is getting food   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM

i dont believe you can overfeed a baby.  i would keep trying to breastfeed as ofen as you can, that wya your supply will increase as well.  and NO do NOT giove rice cereal, not until at least 4-5 months!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured