Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

mine ate every two hours for the first month....he outgrew his NB clothes in a month

Cynthje
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this

You cant over feed a baby that young if you are EBF but you can overfeed with the formula. Im wondering why the formula because its normal for them to nurse all the time at a that age. Pumping is not a measure of anything because there are  moms out there who can not pump an ounce but are perfectly capable of nursing their babies.

I would stop the formula and let the baby nurse when it wants too and for as long as it wants too. 

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

it is possible that he is not getting enough nutrition.  Your milk may not be completely in yet.  The formula may not be strong enough for him.  Talk to pediatrition about it.  I tried to nurse my son and it didn't seem to work.  I gave him formula and he cried about all the time.  If I put him down he woke up and cried.  If I held him or tried to feed him he was quiet.  He was eating a whole bottle and more.  I didn't know how his tummy was not hurting with all he ate.  Doctor changed the fluids in the formula and then changed again.  Finally he said, "Put him on whole milk and if that doens't help, we'll have to put him on a soy milk"  Well he took the whole milk and shut up.  He was a bigt boy, 9 lb 2 oz and was hungry.  Once he had the whole milk, he was the best baby and hardly ever cried. I could take him to meetings and give him a few toys and he'd play and be a great kid.  people commented on how good he was.  He was a curious and smart kid.  He did not get fat.  When he started to pudge up, he had a growing spurt and it was like he was pulled up.  That happened several times when there were spurts of growth.  He was satisfied and was great.  I did even give him a bit of rice cereal in his bottle too.  Doctor said he was just a big boy and needed more food to grow.  Hope a change of food will help your son, too.  Sure worked with mine.  Telldoctor you don't think he is getting enough nutrition and wonder if you should try whole milk and see if that is okay.  Good luck to you.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Stop ALL formula and just BF.  You cannot over feed a baby at the breast.  Your baby can be on the breast for up to 22 hours a day at this age and that is normal.  He is building and regulating your supply.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
10 moms liked this

OMG!!!!   O.o  None of this is accurate information.  And, quite frankly scary.

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126:

it is possible that he is not getting enough nutrition.  Your milk may not be completely in yet.  The formula may not be strong enough for him.  Talk to pediatrition about it.  I tried to nurse my son and it didn't seem to work.  I gave him formula and he cried about all the time.  If I put him down he woke up and cried.  If I held him or tried to feed him he was quiet.  He was eating a whole bottle and more.  I didn't know how his tummy was not hurting with all he ate.  Doctor changed the fluids in the formula and then changed again.  Finally he said, "Put him on whole milk and if that doens't help, we'll have to put him on a soy milk"  Well he took the whole milk and shut up.  He was a bigt boy, 9 lb 2 oz and was hungry.  Once he had the whole milk, he was the best baby and hardly ever cried. I could take him to meetings and give him a few toys and he'd play and be a great kid.  people commented on how good he was.  He was a curious and smart kid.  He did not get fat.  When he started to pudge up, he had a growing spurt and it was like he was pulled up.  That happened several times when there were spurts of growth.  He was satisfied and was great.  I did even give him a bit of rice cereal in his bottle too.  Doctor said he was just a big boy and needed more food to grow.  Hope a change of food will help your son, too.  Sure worked with mine.  Telldoctor you don't think he is getting enough nutrition and wonder if you should try whole milk and see if that is okay.  Good luck to you.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
5 moms liked this

This is not true.  Not for a BF baby.  A BF baby can and SHOULD eat whenever they want.  Breasts never run out of milk.  There is no saving it up.  Breasts make milk as the baby nurses. It's always there.

Quoting KLove_Mom:

It's probably a growth spurt. 

But the best thing to do for your own sanity, and for his growing appetite is to make him wait at least 2 hours if not 3 to eat. 

If he's eating every hour, he'll only be eating 1oz (for example), which is more a snack than a meal. Then of course he's hungry again in another hour.

If you make him wait, using a pacifier, or take him outside for a walk... then make sure you have more than enough ready to offer him when he eats. Then if he eats more than usual, he should be ready to wait.

So yes, you're in for one rough day... but definitely by the 3rd day he should be on a better schedule.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this

How do you know you don't make enough mama??  BFing is supply and demand.  Your body makes what the baby tells it to.  If you give formula instead of nursing, you are telling your body that you don't need that milk.   Giving formula is only hurting your supply.  You make milk AS your baby eats.  You don't store milk in your breasts.  If you're engorged at times and you DO have milked stored in your breasts, then you actually have an oversupply.  I promise you, that unless you have a medical condition, that at 2 weeks of age, you have enough milk for you son.  Count diapers.  As long as he has 6 wet or poopy diapers a day, he's getting enough. 

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Ditch the formula and only breastfeed him.  You can't over-breastfeed a baby.  Your supply should regulate in just a few days--the more formula you give the lower your supply will be.  If you are adament about the formula make sure you only give it after breastfeeding first--and offer both breasts each feeding.

SaGe_Ed
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
2 moms liked this

You aren't supposed to deny him food.  Babies know when they're hungry, they don't stick to a doctor's schedule or recommendation.  He is too young for cereal, and in a bottle cereal is a choking hazard.  Feed him when he wants to eat and don't worry about it.  Also consider stopping the formula.  Breastfeeding on demand and seeing between 6-8 wet/poopy diapers a day is the magic formula for a healthy baby.  :)

debramommyof4
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was like that.  I gave him a paci and if that worked then I did not feed him.  If not then he got a bottle or breast.  I let him eat as much as he wanted in one sitting.  I did do cereal in his bottle.  Some people believe that it will make your child fat but my kids all did at some point.  They are not fat, well my son has always been big for his age but he is big in both hieght and wieght. 

My kids now.

My son and his father now

My son a few months old.

And at a year

While large for his age he has always been preportionate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)