Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (271-280):
supercarp
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

He's using you as a pacifier. Get a good pacifier.

jjohovich
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Insufficient Glandular Tissue (IGT) is no doubt the cause of some women's breastfeeding issues and I am very sorry that you are one of the moms that experience this issue. Lyricmother, if you think you may have this conditon, please check out this website - www.noteveryonecanbreastfeed.com  Also, please, please seek out professional help from a breastfeeding expert, an IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant) not your pediatrician who is almost certainly not trained in breastfeeding or infant nutrition. 

It is important to reiterate though, that pumping is a terrible way to determine if you are making enough milk for most woman.  A baby can "milk" a breast far better than a pump machine. 

If you would like a pump, you should contact your hospital who probably rents them for a low fee or check with your insurance as some are now covering pumps. And state agencies are also covering them in some instances now.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Good try? Many women also have little convienant devices call BREAST PUMPS and they can see how much they are producing that way....I pumped every two hours for 3 months an never got more then 1 oz...i was later diagnosed with IGT..go look it up you judgmental bitch.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

unfortunately 'just knowing' is not an indicator of low supply. But good try.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Because women just knoiw their own body's *GASP*

Quoting rockinmomto2:

How do you know you're not producing enough?

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Research states that a breastfed baby should not eat over 3ozs every 2 hours, you can certainly stretch a baby's stomach and the baby will eat. Fat people eat until their full, does that mean it's healthy? Of course not. Your baby has no clue what's going on, but the parent should. You are overfeeding your child. Is your dr qualified in the area of breastfeeding? Why don't you ask him what qualifies him to give breastfeeding advice, and then get back to me.

Quoting Meghan6391:

my son is 7 weeks old now and eat 6 oz at a time of breast milk. alot of people say i am over feeding him but his drs say i am not. ya thats more than most children eat at that age but he is healthy and content. if the baby is hungry you need to feed him its just that simple. there are a bunch of baby nazis on here that will tell you to not over feed him but you really cant. he needs all the food he can get at this age. good luck momma

Meghan6391
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My kid is healthy and happy (besides the cold he currently has) ya he eats alot but he is perfectly fine. You can't over feed a baby so don't try saying you can. I have seen 2 lactation consultants and they told me to feed my baby till he is full. If you want their qualifications you can call kennestone hospital in marietta ga and ask for Mary the bf consultant and have her tell you all about it. Or you can call the cobb county lactation group and ask them. Or even better call my momma she bf 3 healthy children. Im the only chubby one and i just had a baby. So there is some advice for you Nazi lady

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Research states that a breastfed baby should not eat over 3ozs every 2 hours, you can certainly stretch a baby's stomach and the baby will eat. Fat people eat until their full, does that mean it's healthy? Of course not. Your baby has no clue what's going on, but the parent should. You are overfeeding your child. Is your dr qualified in the area of breastfeeding? Why don't you ask him what qualifies him to give breastfeeding advice, and then get back to me.

Quoting Meghan6391:

my son is 7 weeks old now and eat 6 oz at a time of breast milk. alot of people say i am over feeding him but his drs say i am not. ya thats more than most children eat at that age but he is healthy and content. if the baby is hungry you need to feed him its just that simple. there are a bunch of baby nazis on here that will tell you to not over feed him but you really cant. he needs all the food he can get at this age. good luck momma

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Did you breastfeed? If not please don't give advice. Bf babies nurse a lot in the first 6 weeks to establish mom's supply. Cereal is garbage and no longer recommended. It has serious problems when introduced to a baby. Both my boys nursed every hour for 6 weeks and was getting plenty. I know because of two things: diaper count and weight gain. We eventually went to 2 hours during non growth spurts. I am nursing one through a 3 month growth spurt right now. He is nursing every hour.

Quoting dfcinnamon:

The milk or formula is not enough.  Get the rice or oatmeal cereal for babies mix a little with applesauce.  This should fill him up with the milk or formula.  They say don't feed them anything until six months.  This is a line of crap, I tried this 29 years ago with my youngiest son.  He was satisified  with this.  Try this and see if this works for you.

MomOf2DueInJune
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Just because she is supplementing dose not mean the breastfeeding brigade should jump in, and tell her in "matter of fact" tone that she needs to EBF.  And your one who first commented on this thread with a really cut and dry attitude, I am bitter towards women like you. And the way you think you can just tell other women what to do with their body's!   Oh and i dont have atitude.. i have ATTITUDE...get it correct.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

but obviously have not breastfed successfully do to misinformation. No BCLC would EVER tell a woman to use pumping as an indicator of supply. Take your bad atitude somewhere else. Just because you decided to listen to bad advice does not mean you should spread your bitterness around and try and make others fail.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

All your doing is re stating what the last bitch said......and when i was in the hospital with my second the lactation specailist made sure i had a pump and a feeding chart in my room so i could keep track of how often and how much i was pumping....So please take your 3 month old child and gallop off into the sunset on your high horse.....i have carried, birthed, 2 children and i dont need your advice.

Quoting Mom2Just1:er would know that. 

I don't respond well to a pump. My son has gained 6 lbs in 3 months just on breast milk alone. Pumps are not be used to determine supply. An educated breastfeeding moth

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Good try? Many women also have little convienant devices call BREAST PUMPS and they can see how much they are producing that way....I pumped every two hours for 3 months an never got more then 1 oz...i was later diagnosed with IGT..go look it up you judgmental bitch.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If mom really wants to breastfeed, then she needs to stop supplementing.   It's just a reality... she's shooting herself in the foot, supply wise, with what she's doing.    If there's an actual reason for supplementing (baby not making diapers, etc...), then it's great that it's an option... but moms need to know how nursing and milk production work and how detrimental supplementing can be to that system.   The first 6 weeks or so can be HARD, it's good to know that it's normal and it passes.  

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Just because she is supplementing dose not mean the breastfeeding brigade should jump in, and tell her in "matter of fact" tone that she needs to EBF.  And your one who first commented on this thread with a really cut and dry attitude, I am bitter towards women like you. And the way you think you can just tell other women what to do with their body's!   Oh and i dont have atitude.. i have ATTITUDE...get it correct.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

but obviously have not breastfed successfully do to misinformation. No BCLC would EVER tell a woman to use pumping as an indicator of supply. Take your bad atitude somewhere else. Just because you decided to listen to bad advice does not mean you should spread your bitterness around and try and make others fail.

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

All your doing is re stating what the last bitch said......and when i was in the hospital with my second the lactation specailist made sure i had a pump and a feeding chart in my room so i could keep track of how often and how much i was pumping....So please take your 3 month old child and gallop off into the sunset on your high horse.....i have carried, birthed, 2 children and i dont need your advice.

Quoting Mom2Just1:er would know that. 

I don't respond well to a pump. My son has gained 6 lbs in 3 months just on breast milk alone. Pumps are not be used to determine supply. An educated breastfeeding moth

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Quoting MomOf2DueInJune:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting lyricmother:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I just want to say the rare time I pumped for DS (we breastfed almost without bottles for 14 months) I barely got any milk. DS got downright fat just from nursing (not overweight just deliciously chubby.)

If I used the amount I pumped as an indicator of mu supply - yikes!!!
tharealty2
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Rice cereal in the bottle is a good idea, it will make him feel fuller (it's not to early I started my dd on cereal when she was 1wk old) Also if that doesn't help/work, just give him a bottle of water.

Please do not offer any more advice like this^^^^ its wrong from the first word to the period.  Its so wrong I almost assumed you must be a troll.  This is the very opposite of good advice.

sandykmac
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Your baby is not going to have a weight problem.  He is growing and he needs the calories and nutrients.  I know how exhausting it is, but this will pass, for now.  Your baby will go through growth spurts and will eat what seems like excessive amounts and then he will go through times when he doesn't seem to eat enough.  Don't worry about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)