Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
Blue_Spiral
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
2 moms liked this

After only 2 weeks there's no way you aren't making enough.

Breastfeed on demand. That means any and every time you think the baby MAY want to eat. New babies eat constantly. It's how they are supposed to eat.

Put baby to breast ALL THE TIME. Spend lots of time cuddled up naked with baby naked against your body.

Throw the formula in the trash.

tharealty2
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

he's wayyyyy to young for cereal, and I'd skip rice cereal altogether.  I'd also skip formula feeding if you can help it - this early in the game its really gonna funk up your supply.  Breastfeed him on demand,. its really difficult at first, but soooooooo worthit.

Healthystart30
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
my son ate every hour for the first 3 months. He was definitely a fatty lol He is now two years old and is just perfect. The dr always told me to feed on demand because I was BF. I am not sure what the right thing to do is when you do both.
opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

hes having a growth spurt feed that kid.  if he is being supplemented with formula talk to his doc about a possible allergy to the formula.

ragitty
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

When ds was a newborn for the first 6 weeks or so he nursed for a full hour each time. He was one hour on, one hour off. He was my first and I got stressed thinking I didn't have enough milk so I started supplementing with formula. I felt like such a failure and cried about it a lot. Now I know so much more and realize I never had a supply issue and what he was doing was completely normal. I realize that I even pumped enough to ebf, but I thought he needed more than I was pumping because I saw how much ff babies ate and he would eat the full bottles so I thought that's how much he needed, but I was wrong.

I know it can be stressful, but if you really want to have a successful bfing relationship with your son, drop the bottle now and put him to the breast. I bfed for a year, supplementing with about 20% formula and I wish I had just bfed. 

Join the breastfeeding moms group. They are excellent about giving scientifically-based information provided by people who have studied breastfeeding. Doctors are not trained in breastfeeding. 

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Perfect advice!

Quoting rockinmomto2:

First of all, you're not overfeeding. IMO, stop formula all together and just give breastmilk. Every hour or hour and a half is totally normal for a newborn. He's trying to not only regulate your breastmilk (the more he eats, the more you produce), but he's trying to regulate himself as well. He's only been alive for two WEEKS. Throw the clocks away and feed on demand. It's also impossible to overfeed a baby. He will eat when he's hungry and not eat when he's not hungry.

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

HuggaBug1991
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Rice cereal in the bottle is a good idea, it will make him feel fuller (it's not to early I started my dd on cereal when she was 1wk old) Also if that doesn't help/work, just give him a bottle of water.

karamille
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Yes breast milk is best, but I am not going to lecture you on giving formula.  Sometimes breastfeeding just don't work out.  However... whatever you do... DO NOT GIVE THAT BABY CEREAL.  It could be that he has a strong sucking desire and may benefit from a pacifier, he could be in a growth spurt, or he may have some acid reflux going on and is comfort eating.  Just like pregnant women can get some relief from acid reflux by eating, so do babies.  It soothes their sore throats by coating it with milk.  

karamille
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Rice cereal in the bottle is a good idea, it will make him feel fuller (it's not to early I started my dd on cereal when she was 1wk old) Also if that doesn't help/work, just give him a bottle of water.

You have either been living under a rock or are a troll.  NEVER EVER give a baby cereal in their bottle or water.  Both are huge no-no's.  Nothing but milk for the first 6 months.  How can anyone not know this by now. *smh*

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/giving-water-to-baby.html

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm#.USMfVKVaySo

april545
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM

My baby starting eating cereal in her bottle at 3 weeks old mind you she was a preemi baby... She ate over 8 ounes every 45 minutes. She has never been over weight she has always been in the low 27% in her weight. She even started spoon feeding veggies at 2 months.  If your baby is hungary feed him.  My baby also slept thru the night when I mixed breast milk and cereal in her nighttime bottle.......Just saying moms need rest too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN