Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

all he wants to do is eat!!

Posted by   + Show Post
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Stop the formula and breastfeed on demand.

That's normal newborn behaviour, and it's impossible to overfeed an exclusively breastfed baby. There is a huge growth spurt around two weeks...

No rice cereal. It's garbage, and he shouldn't have any solid foods for at least another 6 months.

april545
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM

what do you think they did in the old days before formula?????

HuggaBug1991
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Quoting karamille:

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Rice cereal in the bottle is a good idea, it will make him feel fuller (it's not to early I started my dd on cereal when she was 1wk old) Also if that doesn't help/work, just give him a bottle of water.

You have either been living under a rock or are a troll.  NEVER EVER give a baby cereal in their bottle or water.  Both are huge no-no's.  Nothing but milk for the first 6 months.  How can anyone not know this by now. *smh*

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/giving-water-to-baby.html

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm#.USMfVKVaySo

Oh bother, another *I know it all* momma. Okay your body, the baby's body is mostly made up of water. It is NOT going to hurt the baby to give it water!!! The cereal go back idk 20-40 years ago and it was fine to give a newborn cereal, all it does is fill the poor thing up. Gosh, I didn't say make so damn thick that the baby chokes, *eye roll* put one scoop (ie one formula scoop) to 6-8oz of formula; or half scoop to 4-6oz of formula.

By the way I am NOT a troll or have lived under a rock all my momma life........ grow up

karamille
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Quoting karamille:

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Rice cereal in the bottle is a good idea, it will make him feel fuller (it's not to early I started my dd on cereal when she was 1wk old) Also if that doesn't help/work, just give him a bottle of water.

You have either been living under a rock or are a troll.  NEVER EVER give a baby cereal in their bottle or water.  Both are huge no-no's.  Nothing but milk for the first 6 months.  How can anyone not know this by now. *smh*

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/giving-water-to-baby.html

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm#.USMfVKVaySo

Oh bother, another *I know it all* momma. Okay your body, the baby's body is mostly made up of water. It is NOT going to hurt the baby to give it water!!! The cereal go back idk 20-40 years ago and it was fine to give a newborn cereal, all it does is fill the poor thing up. Gosh, I didn't say make so damn thick that the baby chokes, *eye roll* put one scoop (ie one formula scoop) to 6-8oz of formula; or half scoop to 4-6oz of formula.

By the way I am NOT a troll or have lived under a rock all my momma life........ grow up

I don't have enough time or energy to explain how early introduction of grains increases risks of adult intestineal disorders and how water can alter the electrolyte balance in small babies.  But don't take my word for it.  There are plenty of well documented studies and articles on the these topics.  Instead I encourage you to do your own research rather than going by hearsay.  

MamaSince2005
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:01 AM
I breastfed my baby every 1-1.5 hrs for the first 3wks. Now i feed her every 2.5 hrs during the day. She is 9 weeks old. Ditch the bottles and breastfeed on demand
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

why are you feeding formula?

Breastmilk is all a baby needs for the first 6-9 months. If you think you are not having enough milk, it's probably because youre supplementing with formula.

It's impossible to overfeed a breastfeed baby if that baby is nursing with no bottles and no formula.  What is your babies wright gain like? What is the output? plenty of wet and popy diapers each day?

Have you thought that perhaps the crying is not due to hunger but a digestive issue? If you are feeding formula, it digest differently then breastmilk thus possibly causing an upset tummy. Also, the foods you eat might be causing discomfort.

Please PLEASE seek out a IBCLC (board certified lactation counselor) to help you. Most Doctors (as good as they might be) have no clue when it comes to breastfeeding.

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Why would you give him formula? If you want to give him both bottles and breast, just pump the bottles. Much better for him. My daughter was the same way. I was feeding her more hours of the days than not. Even more than we were sleeping. But much of the time when she was attached at the boob, she was just comfort nursing and not really consuming. She is 5 months now and just now getting to where she nurses every 3-4 hours rather then every 30 minutes to an hour. You can't overfeed him. Don't worry!

sucker4myloves
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:13 AM

When my son was first born he'd eat every thirty minutes to an hour. He did that for like a month. Then it went to every two hours for months.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Mama_Gleich
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM

What's cool about BreastFeeding is that your body makes just the right amount of milk for your baby. It start off with only colostrum and then gradually increases on how often your baby feeds. :-) 

if you don't mind me asking.... How do you know that you are not "producing enough milk"?? 

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

Mama_Gleich
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:34 AM

O_o

your joking right? You are NOT suppose to give a baby cereal in a bottle at this age! It can cause serious gastrointestinal problems!! Bottle of water?!? 

Times have changed a lot... I would suggest you take infant nutrition education classes... 

Quoting HuggaBug1991:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured