Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone know of the best way to go organic for babies? Whats the best working, least expensive organic products? I have been reading a lot on the chemicals in the Johnson and Johnson products and am not going to use their products until they fix the problems. Anyone have any advice for this mommy on a budget?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
RheaF
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
We love Burt's Bees. As far as cleaners go, I make my own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
We use Dr. Bronners to bathe and Organic coconut oil to moisturize. These products have been a famil staple for almost 20 years now. As for food I would look for Organic fruits and veggies on sale and stock up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

For food you should grow your own (cheaper, but takes time), but until then soak your  veggies, fruits in warm water for at least 10 minutes before using and rinse under running water after the soak. Then whip out your blender or food processor and make it happen!

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We do burt's bees and for cleaning I use Mrs. Meyers

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We also use a lot of coconut oil

Kitschy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I find that there are some things I have in the house that are great for a number of uses. The more I go organic and free of chemicals the less I need to buy actually. I make my own cleaning products and detergent. I don't use any shampoos or chemicals on the kids. I've always found most baby products to be a sham quite honestly.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Earth Mama Angel Baby and Weleda are the brands I use.

Coconut oil is amazing for skin and hair. I use it for everything!

marisab
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

BUMP!

Onemiracle
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Dr. Bronners soaps are terrific, affordable and long lasting .  One bottle goes a long way, and can be used a whole bunch of ways.  (Although the label says you can use it to brush you teeth, I haven't tried it!)  

Another affordable organic option is to join a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) - for a weekly fee you get a box of whatever is fresh from the garden that week.  They usually have a variety of box sizes and, delivery options (Weekly, every other week, big box, small box) .  We are a family of 3 and I have trouble "keeping up" with the produce we get each week from our CSA box.    I could never buy that amount of organic produce for the price of the box, and it encourages us to try new things.

A food mill will make quick work of just about any food for a baby.

Best of luck.

(Edited for punctuation and clarity.)

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM

i love the burts bees line!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN