Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone know of the best way to go organic for babies? Whats the best working, least expensive organic products? I have been reading a lot on the chemicals in the Johnson and Johnson products and am not going to use their products until they fix the problems. Anyone have any advice for this mommy on a budget?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
2curly
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I like the California Baby Line for the bath. We also use All free &Clear laundry detergent and Seventh Generation cleaning products.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I use Dr. Bronners for every thing including hand soap ( For dispencers), body wash, and typical house hold cleaners. I also make my own beauty products using essential oils, coconut oil, pure cocoa butter, ginger and vit E oil. Every thing we use is non toxic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armywife081011
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Is ALL c+f ok for babies? I have to use it because I am alergic to most detergents but didn't know if it was safe for babies.

Quoting tresproudmommy:

I also use California baby.  I bought a sample pack from Target when DD was first born and we still have things left...7mths later.  I also use ALL Free and Clear laundry detergent and add one cup of baking soda...to keep the clothes soft and one cup of vinegar...to disinfect.  I like to keep my home chemical free!

Armywife081011
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Is there a place I can find recipes for natural body cleansers? 

Quoting Kitschy:

I find that there are some things I have in the house that are great for a number of uses. The more I go organic and free of chemicals the less I need to buy actually. I make my own cleaning products and detergent. I don't use any shampoos or chemicals on the kids. I've always found most baby products to be a sham quite honestly.

Armywife081011
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

What did you wash her with after she got a little older?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

newborns don't need soap. So no lotions or soaps are needed till they are a little older. We just washed with water till she started getting rolls under her chin :) 
Also, we use olive oil to moisterize her little cheeks that got chapped.
Good luck 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Nature's 'gate and Tom's bar soap.

Quoting Armywife081011:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

newborns don't need soap. So no lotions or soaps are needed till they are a little older. We just washed with water till she started getting rolls under her chin :) 
Good luck 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Kid's or adults?

Quoting Armywife081011:

Is there a place I can find recipes for natural body cleansers? 

Quoting Kitschy:

I find that there are some things I have in the house that are great for a number of uses. The more I go organic and free of chemicals the less I need to buy actually. I make my own cleaning products and detergent. I don't use any shampoos or chemicals on the kids. I've always found most baby products to be a sham quite honestly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My kids are 4 & 2. We use Dr bonners soap (the light blue one) I use that when making detergent too. I never wash their face with anything but water or raw honey.

Quoting Armywife081011:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Good luck 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM

One of the simplest ways is to simply avoid the products.

Babies' skin doesn't need any kind of soap or lotion, and most on the market actually disrupt the protective acid mantle that keeps their skin healthy.

For dry skin, use any food oil (olive, sesame --not toasted or blended, grapeseed, even organic canola). 

A warm water bath with mom or dad is sufficient to clean them, apart from their bottoms, which can be washed with plain water or oil.

Don't use cornstarch as a diaper powder, it feeds yeast. 

For laundry, it's best to select unscented detergents over soap which doesn't rinse out of fabrics as well.

tresproudmommy
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I'm pretty sure it's safe for babies since it doesn't have any chemicals in it.  I use it because both of my kids have eczema and it doesn't bother their skin.

Quoting Armywife081011:

Is ALL c+f ok for babies? I have to use it because I am alergic to most detergents but didn't know if it was safe for babies.

Quoting tresproudmommy:

I also use California baby.  I bought a sample pack from Target when DD was first born and we still have things left...7mths later.  I also use ALL Free and Clear laundry detergent and add one cup of baking soda...to keep the clothes soft and one cup of vinegar...to disinfect.  I like to keep my home chemical free!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN