Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My husband is pissing me off about our taxes! Should I go to a CPA or should I just file online? *Updated

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 37 Replies

Update- I took our taxes to the CPA and they came back with the exact same numbers that I did. Luckily, he didn't charge us. Now my husband is sulking.

I normally don't vent about my husband but I am past my boiling point with him and our taxes. I handle all of the bills, taxes, money, etc for our house. For the past several years, I have done our taxes online through TaxAct. Last year, I did take it to a CPA because of some forms that I wasn't sure how to file and I wanted to be safe than sorry. This year, our taxes are very simple, just two W-2's. I knew that we would owe for state taxes since my job does not take out state taxes since it is a federal position. I thought we would get at least $1000 back for the child tax credit, but since I didn't have any federal taxes taken out of my check (my husband's federal withholding normally balances mine out), we will only be getting back $475 in federal and owing $324 for state. Last year I did not take into consideration that this has been the most we have earned since we have been married. 

Okay, on to my vent. Every night my husband calls me from his work and tells me that so and so is getting $2000 back and so and so is getting $3000 back, etc. I have tried to explain to my husband that everyone's tax situation is different. He called me just now and told me that his boss is getting so much back and that we should be getting more of the EIC because they got more of the EIC. They also have two children which raises their EIC as compared to our one child. Also, last year, he bragged constantly about how he made more than his boss. I tried to explain to him that he brought home more because his boss had more taken out for taxes and such but his gross income was higher. Anyways, now he wants me to go to a CPA because he thinks I am doing something wrong. So should I go to a CPA? Last year I went to a family friend who has his own company but he didn't charge me. I am not sure if he would charge me this year or not. So, should I go to a CPA or should I just file online through TaxAct?

BTW, my husband told me that TaxAct is run through the government (which it is not) and that they limit to what you can receive back and that I should go through Turbo Tax like his sister did. I did the online Turbo tax and it came back with the same results as TaxAct. Because of this he is wanting me to go to the CPA. 

angry

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
10 moms liked this

Go to a CPA just for the heck of being able to tell him to suck it when he finds out you were right :p

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quoting MrsApple:

Go to a CPA just for the heck of being able to tell him to suck it when he finds out you were right :p

I am sure he will find some way to blame the CPA or me even if I do go, lol. Sigh...

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I would go to a CPA.  I DOES sound like you should be getting more money back.

jupiter5
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell him to take it himself, you go get a manicure or something I don't know
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

He sounds like he won't ever be happy - you ran it through 2 companies - got the same amount.

If you bring it to a CPA, you will probably waste your money - but if you do it, make sure HE chooses the CPA so you won't have to hear how you chose the "wrong" one...  Just seeing the writing on the wall here for you...

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jackiewal10:

I would go to a CPA.  I DOES sound like you should be getting more money back.

I really don't see how though. Our tax responsibilty is more than we had withheld for the year. The child tax and the very little bit of the EIC is covering us for the rest plus the little extra. I would just hate to spend what we are getting back on filing and paying for the CPA if he does charge us this year. However, maybe he will finally listen to me. 

veganistic
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Spot on! Definitely make him choose the Cpa... better still if it's one that one of these people he keeps telling you about used :)

Quoting Kris_PBG:

He sounds like he won't ever be happy - you ran it through 2 companies - got the same amount.

If you bring it to a CPA, you will probably waste your money - but if you do it, make sure HE chooses the CPA so you won't have to hear how you chose the "wrong" one...  Just seeing the writing on the wall here for you...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting jupiter5:

Tell him to take it himself, you go get a manicure or something I don't know

Now, I like that idea.

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

They used H & R Block. I use to go to them but one year when I had to instruct them on how to file my tax returns, I realized I was better off doing it myself and saving $300+.

Quoting veganistic:

Spot on! Definitely make him choose the Cpa... better still if it's one that one of these people he keeps telling you about used :)

Quoting Kris_PBG:

veganistic
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
And I hope you update when you do it, bc he's ticking me off with this too, LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)