Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transition to sippy cup

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 16 Replies

My friend has a one year old son, and it has been a battle for her to get him to use a sippy cup. He's starting to get the hang of it, but he's still not happy about it, lol.

My daughter is 5 months, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help ease this transition so we don't have a similar battle later on.  We have quite a few different kinds of nipples (FF) and she switches between them really well, but that's the only thing I can think of that would help.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM

What kind is the friend using for her son and what kind do you want to use?  Has your daughter used straws in cups before?  I do not see the purpose of forcing a child to stop with a bottle at age one if they are not ready.  My dd loved regular cups and hated bottles.  She was primarily nursed from breast so that is where my experience may be different than  yours.    If i were you, I would look around to see what is available for sippy cups and which fits dd's needs.

emilyelephant
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

She's using the Nuby transition ones, that have the nipple similar to bottles. I haven't thought about it much, and don't even know when I'd even start taking her off the bottle.  My friend was told at his one year ped appointment that he should already be almost off the bottle and formula, and should be drinking milk out of a sippy cup.  To prevent bottle attachment and tooth decay, I guess...

You're probably right, I'll just have to try different ones.  I've just read those pinterest things about easing transitions to potty training by doing simple things very early, so I wondered if there was something similar for sippy cups or "difficult" areas.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What kind is the friend using for her son and what kind do you want to use?  Has your daughter used straws in cups before?  I do not see the purpose of forcing a child to stop with a bottle at age one if they are not ready.  My dd loved regular cups and hated bottles.  She was primarily nursed from breast so that is where my experience may be different than  yours.    If i were you, I would look around to see what is available for sippy cups and which fits dd's needs.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM

My dd actually "stole" iced tea from my grandmother when she had a straw in her glass LOL.(this was at 4 months old)  DD grabbed the straw and started drinking. I think if anything you can have your dd practice holding her own cup and that type of thing.  As long as you keep her on formula until at least a year old, any container you want to use is fine.

Quoting emilyelephant:

She's using the Nuk transition ones, that have the nipple similar to bottles. I haven't thought about it much, and don't even know when I'd even start taking her off the bottle.  My friend was told at his one year ped appointment that he should already be almost off the bottle and formula, and should be drinking milk out of a sippy cup.  To prevent bottle attachment and tooth decay, I guess...

You're probably right, I'll just have to try different ones.  I've just read those pinterest things about easing transitions to potty training by doing simple things very early, so I wondered if there was something similar for sippy cups or "difficult" areas.

Quoting frndlyfn:

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM

i personally dont like sippy cups, my daughter never had one..instead she used one of those plastic reusuable juice boxes..

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I don't think it's necessarily going to become a problem, but you can give her formula or breast milk in a bottle (or from a boob), and just give water in a sippy cup.  They should drink water anyway, and they have sippy cups they have to suck in order to get the liquid out.  Then she's already on the cup when the bottle goes away.  I never found it to be a problem myself.

SaGe_Ed
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Start her now.  Give her a sippy with a little water or juice in it at meal times, let her get used to it and figure out how to get the liquid out.  My son was ff from 4 months on, and was off the bottle and on the sippy by 12 months.  Basically we just gave him the sippy one day instead of his bottle (this was when we were also switching him from formula to milk) and never looked back.  Don't make a big deal out of it, if you're calm and no-nonsense about the switch chances are your kiddo will be too.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I introduced my daughter to sippy cups when she was 5 months old, so I never had an issue with her wanting her bottle

cupcake_mom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

i just kept giving them the cup, they learned that if they want something to drink it will be in a cup. i never put juice in my kids bottles either. i used the silicone nipple cups and they used them just fine. even at 8 or 9 months

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Nuby makes soft top sippy cups that help transition well. 

Templeoftrust
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I started introducing it to my son at 4 months but he wasnt interested until 2 months ago and now is very good at drinking juice and water from it during meal time. He still dranks his milk from the bottle.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured