Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My friend has a one year old son, and it has been a battle for her to get him to use a sippy cup. He's starting to get the hang of it, but he's still not happy about it, lol.

My daughter is 5 months, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help ease this transition so we don't have a similar battle later on.  We have quite a few different kinds of nipples (FF) and she switches between them really well, but that's the only thing I can think of that would help.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Replies (11-16):
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

As soon as I started solids with DD (around 5.5 months) I started giving her sippy cups with room temp water in them. I would offer her the sippy after every few bites while eating and would sit it beside her when she was playing on the floor. She never drank much but she was able to drink from a sippy by about 8 months by herself.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM
We introduce sippy cups when we introduce solids. Around 6 months or so. I pump a little breast milk and offer it to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

It might just be the sippy cup she's trying. With dd, we tried a couple different kinds, she didn't like them. I thought it was going to be a real issue. One day I brought home a new kind, and gave her the formula in it (this was before she turned one), and every time after that was that same sippy, she never looked for bottle again.

STVUstudent
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Our first sippy cup had a really soft tip, really not so different from a bottle.  With our baby, we skipped the sippy cup all together- at a year, we took away the bottle, and gave her a regular cup.  Did she spill?  Sure, but by two she was manipulating a cup far better than anyone else in her class...

Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I would just start offering them to her.  You can also just go to regular cups.  I know some people prefer to start with regular cups and only use sippys for convenience.  It will be messy at first, but they catch on pretty fast.

Gina_C
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I started giving Wyatt a sippy cup at around 5 or 6 months with a little water or watered down juice once or twice a week till he got the hang of it. He didn't completely give up the bottle till he was about 14 months and I finally just threw them all out and gave him only a sippy. I don't see the harm in introducing one now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN