Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HomeBirth or Hospital ?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am pregnant with my sixth child. I have always had hospital births but the last time i did not have a good experience  

I know that people say homebirths are really relaxing so i was wondering what your opinions are if you have experienced both a home and hospital birth before

what would you choose

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I couldn't do a homebirth, but if your pregnancy is healthy with no complications and you have a good midwife, then I would say go for it!

Raeann11
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have had a free Standing Birth Center. Which was a wonderful experience. I also had a hospital birth and hated everything about it. Then had a home birth and it was the most amazing experience of my life. I will never have a hospital birth, unless needed.

Do you research and do what is best for you. Everyone has so many views on this.

Also interview midwifes and ask lots of questions. The two we had pretty much answered all our questions before we even asked them.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I would choose a homebirth if everything was okay with the pregnancy. 

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Both mine were hospital births, it was just fine for me.  But to me, pregnancy and labor is just a means to an end.  The end being a beautiful baby.  LOL

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I like hospital because if something goes wrong you have everything you need and I'm not into pain.

I have some friends that have done home birth and were happy with it. One even did a water birth.

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I chose a birth center in a hospital. Birth centers are generally more mom and baby friendly than just hospitals. I liked that there was a NICU available if I should need one, but if not, they pretty much let me do whatever I wanted. (Not that I asked for much).

If I only lived by hospitals that weren't very mom and baby friendly, then I would absolutely be open to having a homebirth with a midwife. They don't worry me at all. Birth is a natural thing that women have been doing at home since the dawn of time. A lot of women feel more comfortable in their own home. I honestly feel more comfortable at the hospital though. If I were at home, I'd probably be trying to clean something or get something done lol. But at the hospital I know I have nothing to do other than try to relax, have my baby, and get taken care of.

KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I would have had a water birth with my dd as it is the most gentle birth I know of out there, but as she was unplanned and I live with my mother that was not an option. Hopefully m next one will be an at home water birth with a midwife and a doula.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DeeDee205
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

If pregnancy is completely healthy and you haven't had complications in the past, if you are comfortable with home birth, then I agree with that.  For me, I knew I wanted to be in a hospital.  I'm one of those "must be overly prepared" persons and wanted to be in a hospital just in case.  As it turned out, I had to be induced due to hbp and then ended up with c-section anyways.  Best of luck and Congrats!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:30 AM

i dont think i could ever do a homebirth, i would be to scared of something happening and not having the equipment available to help 

Allie_kat1
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM
I've done both. I would never give birth in a hospital again unless it was a true medical emergency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured