Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Newborn help! *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm having issues with my newborn son at night. During the day he's calm when he's awake, takes good naps, nurses well. At night he's always screaming, has a difficult time latching, and won't sleep without me or DH holding him. I want to avoid co-sleeping, but last night his best sleep was after feeding (we were both lying down) and I let him stay in bed next to me - slept 4 hours!

Any advice on how to adjust him into his crib, getting a better sleep schedule at night? Of course DH and I expect to wake up multiple times, but right now one of us is constantly awake!

Update:

http://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-by-your-side-sleeper/-/A-13680579#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=By+your+side+sleeper

So a friend of mine suggested that it could possibly be that his crib is too much of a big open space and suggested we try the sleeper I linked above - her son had this issue and there was a similar product that helped. Figured, couldn't hurt, let's try it! So far... Working!!! I actually had to wake him up to feed instead of visa versa!

Thank you ladies for all your help and advice! I really appreciate it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
Radellia
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM
4 days, I know it's early and everyone is still learning, but night time has been insufferable! I don't mind waking up frequently to care for him... But that also requires that he's satisfied long enough for me to fall asleep in the first place - I'd be good with a solid 10 minute nap at this point!

Quoting dee1603:

How old exactly is he?
Radellia
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM
His first couple days home, we really haven't been home! His jaundice level was a little high when we went home, so we've had to go back to the doctor daily for re-checks. A lot of his naps have been in the car because of it... Now that we're able to be home more, I'm putting him in the bassinet of the pack and play downstairs or his crib upstairs during sleep

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

It's hard I know, I didn't feed my babies to sleep.  I tried to always put them to bed when they were awake.  Also most all newborns have a "fussy" time.  Granted sometimes it's downright "screaming" time, but this too shall pass, just keep trying to do what you are doing.  Also do you put him down for naps in his crib?

Radellia
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Which TTC group? The public one or the "supporting friends" one? For some reason I was kicked out of the other one when they "closed" it and changed the name, no idea why.

Quoting ekh2010:

Werent you in the ttc group w me? Congrats on having him! Ive heard waking him after feeding settling him then moving him to bed. My son is due in a couple weeks So ill prolly have the same problem we have a bassinet in our room for him hope it works...
Radellia
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Colic basically being really gassy? He latches really well when breastfeeding (except at night when he's angry) and doesn't get much air in, he also burps really well so far... Other than the constant crying, I don't know why he's getting so much air in his belly... And of course crying = more air = more crying...

Quoting 3Girlzmom231512:

Hi there! Wow that brings back memories! It sounds as though he has colic. Typical signs are inconsolable crying at night and fine during the day or vice versa. My first child who is now 23 yrs old and in college had colic. Talk to your pediatrician if there are any new treatments for colic. If not, sorry to say that they outgrow it at about 3 months of age.  As for the co-sleeping, my 23 yr old sleep with my husband and myself at times during the difficult times such as colic, sickness. It is better if you do not do it because it is harder to get them into their own bed later however it doesnt hurt them or you if they sleep with you occasionally. Hurts the love life if they sleep with you every night.

With my second and third child- neither had colic. But for the sleeping thing every night I went through the same routine bath, nightime feeding, place them in their crib with a mobile or a musical toy that hangs on the side of the bed. They both would lay there and watch the toys until they went to sleep. Make sure their room is not too hot or too cold or bright.

It seems like the baby years last forever but they really don't. Enjoy them the best you can!!!

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
With the screaming at night that could be colic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

try swaddling him. that always helped my kids. i have also heard that swaddling them in something that has your scent on it like one of your shirts works also.

Radellia
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Co-sleeping is really tough for my husband and I, the bed is cramped enough already and my husband is a really heavy sleeper (yea, he can sleep through baby screaming...) so I'd worry having baby between us and I don't want him too close to the edge either if he sleeps on the other side of me...

What age/ how long did it take to transition your kids to their own bed once they started to co-sleep with you?

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I tried to avoid co-sleeping as well with my first and it was more trouble than it was worth.

You have to remember babies are programmed to be WITH their mommies. Just go with it so you don't be a tired mommy. Do what it takes to sleep. 

I have kids that are 6&4, still enjoy sleeping in our bed if they can but are well adjusted and sleep in their own rooms fine. (I prefer to have the bed to myself of course lol)

They will move out someday I swear lol. Just get some sleep!

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
If your house is warm. Strip him down. Lay him in a bounce seat or hold him in front of a sunny window for 10 minutes a few times a day.
I put it where there eyes where out of the sun but her body was in the sun. That's what our doctor said to do and it really helped my daughter with jaundice. Something with the sun light helps.

I Just always co-slept with all 4 of my children. With DD I was positive I wasn't but that's the only way she would sleep. LOL. He's used to being by you and hearing your heart beat. It's normal, it will get better. Do you have a bassinette next to your bed, you can put him in after he falls asleep. I pushed my bed next to the wall and she slept on my side. I started laying her down in her bed at night around 7 months. She would end up in our bed around 12. Then it just started getting later and later. She's almost 2 and sleeps all night in her bed for a few months now.

Quoting Radellia:

His first couple days home, we really haven't been home! His jaundice level was a little high when we went home, so we've had to go back to the doctor daily for re-checks. A lot of his naps have been in the car because of it... Now that we're able to be home more, I'm putting him in the bassinet of the pack and play downstairs or his crib upstairs during sleep

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

It's hard I know, I didn't feed my babies to sleep.  I tried to always put them to bed when they were awake.  Also most all newborns have a "fussy" time.  Granted sometimes it's downright "screaming" time, but this too shall pass, just keep trying to do what you are doing.  Also do you put him down for naps in his crib?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfNolan
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How long did you co-sleep?  I did with my first for the first 7 1/2 months and the first night I put him in his crib we ALL slept amazingly and I wished I would have done it sooner.  I'm due with #2 in June and I plan on co-sleeping for a while but I'm trying to figure out when to make the switch.

Thanks!

Quoting Randi02:

I breastfeed and co sleep. It means a lot more sleep for all of us. My youngest is 3 weeks old, and has slept with us from birth - just like my other 3 did.

Your baby just spent 9 months inside of you, being held constantly/warm/listening to your heartbeat, so it's normal for them to be most comfortable when they have those things. It's all they know.

brittany208
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

If you do not want to co-sleep--dont start bad habits now! It is a LOT easier to get a newborn to sleep than to let them develop bad habits you try to break later!

I always, always nursed my son at night time, then put him in his crib STILL AWAKE. not wide awake, but kind of "milk drunk and happy" lol. Then, he was calm and would drift right to sleep. Falling asleep in one place and waking up in another is apparently very disconcerting to babies.

When he wakes up, do NOT rush in at the first peep. Babies naturally wake up during sleep cycles (you do too!) and can easily learn to go back to sleep. But if everytime he makes a peep, you rush in there, then you are teaching him to need you to go back to sleep, instead of being able to do it by himself. I'm not saying you should let him scream for hours on end. I'm saying, listen to his cry before you rush in. Is it a pain cry? Or just a "help I'm awake" cry? Take a few minutes and see if he will settle himself down first. Don't offer him more milk every time right away. He might not be hungry, and you'll just teach him he needs to nurse to go back to sleep.

We used a paci starting at 6 weeks with my DS. He always had it when I put him down to sleep. but I was a crazy woman and seriously went in his room after he fell asleep every night and took it OUT of his mouth. So he didnt need it to stay asleep (some babies lose them in the middle of the night and that wakes them up. not for my LO, bc he never had it in the middle of the night). I left a few scattered in his crib for him to find it if he wanted.

Anyways, that's what I did and my DS has always been a great sleeper. (He did bed-share the first two weeks, and he was in our room the first 3 months, but I'm going to do less with the next LO).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN