Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help!! (breastfed baby to formula)

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 6 1/2 months.  She was strictly breastfed (and cereal since 3 months) until she was 5 months old. At 5 months she began daycare and also I was unable to keep up milk production to what she was wanting to eat...so I began giving her Similac Advance.  I would pump at work, but my milk production was so low Id pump for half an hour and would only get two ounces each time, so she was getting more formula feedings in the past month and a half than breast feedings. Last week I dried up completely and she is now fully on Similac (as well as cereal and babyfood).  She is not a picky baby, and has yet to deny any food offered to her (unless she just isnt hungry at the time of offering).

My question is this:  I have a WIC appt today, and this is her 6 month review.  I spoke to my lactation consultant yesterday and she said that WIC will only give me Enfamil, and since she has been taking Similac Avance, they will most likely give me Enfamil Premium.  I personally dont like Enfamil, it smells a lot worse than Similac.  But, realistically, I would like to know if this would make a difference?  The consultant told me that even if I got a script from the Dr, that WIC doesnt provide Similac.  But I know ppl who get all different brands of formula through WIC with a dr approval.  She also said to gradually ease her into the formula change, 2 oz of enfamil to 4 oz of similac first couple days, then half and half etc until she is completely switched over.  I understand this...I just dont get it...why does WIC only do enfamil?  Why cant I get a script for what she is already use to?  She currently has no digestive issues, and Id like it to stay that way.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

2 ounces is normal for pumping. Your supply sounds fine. 

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

WIC is kind of crazy, I never used them.  I dont' know why they only supply enfamil.  But I would just do what your doc said, just slowly change over.  She should adjust.  Unless you want to just buy the similac yourself

MamaToCollin
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

How many oz. of BM is she taking at daycare?

emilyelephant
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

WIC in our state only supplies Similac (and Gerber for soy), but I know that I wouldn't be able to get Enfamil even with a prescription.  I know the frustration of wanting to just choose what works best, we liked Enfamil Gentlease. Wanna just house swap? lol But Ria did great switching formulas, I didn't notice any difference.  The people that are getting different formulas are probably just getting different types of Enfamil, or, like I said is the case where I am, Gerber for soy.  I really hate WIC, and can't wait to get off of it.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Idk what WIC will do for you choice- wise, but these are the things that happen.

I imagine if you took a nursing holiday you'd be producing again.

Or your baby could take the formula they give you, Idk. GL to you.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN