Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are you kissing my kid?

I'm just curious if any other moms have daycare providers that kiss their kids? Every morning when I drop off my daycare provider insists on getting a kiss from my kid. I think it is disgusting, she is not family, nor friend, just a daycare provider. This morning I asked her not to do that and she started laughing. I told her it wasn't funny although I appreciate that she loves my kid, she is spreading germs to him and all the other kids and she got visibly upset with me. Does your daycare provider kiss your children? Do you/Would you mind?

Edit- please keep in mind, I am not banning all kissing. We are talking about lip to lip kissing only. I do want my child to be hugged snuggled and have cheek kisses and boo-boo kisses. The only kissing I am referring to is with her asking my son for kisses, and kissing him on the mouth. And it isnt all about germs but this is a large center and he is not the only child she kisses. I recognize that there are germs everywhere but do we not wash our hands, dishes, and tables as well as toys in a daycare to help to keep it down? Isnt the idea to attempt to keep our kids healthy? And cold sores are spread by kissing right? (Just some clarification points here, I do appreciate all your opinions and comments, thank you!)
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (51-60):
SusieQue717
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I'm hispanic, and in the hispanic culture, you kiss on the cheek to say hi. When I was living in the states, I put my daughter in a daycare with mostly hispanic workers, and yes, they all received kisses from my daughter each morning. Is this woman hispanic? 

Coffee247Needed
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
To clarify some of your questions, this is lip to lip kissing, I agree with many of you that hugs and snuggles and many other kisses are ok. And this is not my son attempting to kiss her, its her requesting to kiss him ex. "Gimme a kiss, where are my kisses".

Edit- my dcp has decided that I was rude for my request not to kiss him and we no longer have a daycare to go to. She practically threw his bag at me as we were getting his things to leave. I am sad that this is how it turned out as she was great in many other ways. But I have to hold strong for what I think is right for my son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Unless it's on the mouth, it wouldn't bother me.

LyTe684
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Gross.

Quoting Coffee247Needed:

To clarify some of your questions, this is lip to lip kissing, I agree with many of you that hugs and snuggles and many other kisses are ok. And this is not my son attempting to kiss her, its her requesting to kiss him ex. "Gimme a kiss, where are my kisses".

Edit- my dcp has decided that I was rude for my request not to kiss him and we no longer have a daycare to go to. She practically threw his bag at me as we were getting his things to leave. I am sad that this is how it turned out as she was great in many other ways. But I have to hold strong for what I think is right for my son.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be very happy that she loves your kid, I don't think that was very nice of you. "just" a daycare provider? That woman is your kid's world while he's there, she is teaching him, feeding him, leading by example. Does he like her? Is he excited to be there and play?

MinglingMom
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I would be fine if it was on the cheek but definitely not on the mouth... if she's kissing all of the kids then she could easily pass germs around. I get that they see their daycare provider everyday but that just doesn't seem appropriate especially when daycare is where most kids get sick... and then parents get sick from their kids, etc. I would have said something too.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I would mind. It's not germs, it's teaching my child that it is okay to be affectionate with everyone. That's not something anyone wants thier child to be " cool" with.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I kiss the little boy I nanny. I kiss him good morning, through out the day and before his mother takes him home. I've been his nanny since he was 6 weeks old and he turned 3 in September. He is one of the family while he is here and I love him.

His mother loves that I treat him like my own while he is with me.

BrittSam2011
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You should put the lip-to-lip bit in the Original Post. Some people are thinking its on the cheek or forehead and its obviously not from what you said.

I think it's disgusting that she demands a kiss from your kid. I would be slapping a bitch.

Coffee247Needed
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM
And I totally think that is appropriate. One person, one family and close with them. You are doing a wonderful job I am sure. Im more speaking in terms of a large center and I dont know the woman outside of drop off and pick up.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I kiss the little boy I nanny. I kiss him good morning, through out the day and before his mother takes him home. I've been his nanny since he was 6 weeks old and he turned 3 in September. He is one of the family while he is here and I love him.

His mother loves that I treat him like my own while he is with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured