Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want it all!!

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 22 Replies
Alright ladies, give me all the advice, tips, and tricks you have about potty training. I'm open to all suggestions. I am a first time mom, my daughter is 18 months, and I just ordered her a singing Dora potty. I'm not expecting much right now, but I would love to introduce it to her and see what happens!

Thank you :)

"now faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen" - hebrews 11:1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gizmo538
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

18 months? That's a bit early but I've heard it can be done. My DD is almost 3 and I can't get her potty trained no matter how hard I try. Good luck to you!!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I waited until my children were dry at night, so I knew they had bladder control. Then I spent a weekend taking them to the potty every little while- every half hour at first- and switched them permanently out of diapers then and into training pants- which I don't know if they make anymore. I washed 5 pairs of training pants the first day. The second day two pairs, after that one a day.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

don't discipline for accidents.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I let my son decide. We explained the process and said when you're ready let us know. He potty trained completely in a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mharleyghal
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Quoting gizmo538:

18 months? That's a bit early but I've heard it can be done. My DD is almost 3 and I can't get her potty trained no matter how hard I try. Good luck to you!!

Yes. Again, I'm not expecting much. It's more of an introduction so she can become familiar with her potty. She hates having her diaper on so I thought maybe she might be ready for a change. It may or may not be a challenge for us this early. I do know she's very determined to learn and accomplish things. Thank you for the luck, I wish you the same. :)
mharleyghal
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Quoting Bmat:

I waited until my children were dry at night, so I knew they had bladder control. Then I spent a weekend taking them to the potty every little while- every half hour at first- and switched them permanently out of diapers then and into training pants- which I don't know if they make anymore. I washed 5 pairs of training pants the first day. The second day two pairs, after that one a day.

Thank you! At what age were they completely dry at night? Potty trained?
EvilAsh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I was fully trained around 18 months old. 

My daughter is 2 and fully trained as well. It depends on the kid. My first daughter was hard. You gotta stick with it.

Quoting gizmo538:

CafeMom Tickers
EvilAsh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

What I did with my kids, nothing special. No treats or rewards for it. My first daughter was hard to train, she just wanted nothing to do with it. I took away diapers completely and let her wear underwear, never used pullups...she knew when she had to go, she was just being lazy. She peed a few times in them, made a mess, hated it, then started going on the potty. I started with her around 18 months and she was fully trained a few days after her 3rd birthday.

My 2nd daughter was  MUCH easier. She's 2 1/2 and completely trained and has been for a few months now. Just gotta stick it out. Take them to the potty every half hour to an hour.

gizmo538
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You never know, if she hates having her diaper on the she may be ready. I hope you're successful though. I wish I could've potty trained mine at that age ... I hate paying for diapers :)

Quoting mharleyghal:

Quoting gizmo538:

Yes. Again, I'm not expecting much. It's more of an introduction so she can become familiar with her potty. She hates having her diaper on so I thought maybe she might be ready for a change. It may or may not be a challenge for us this early. I do know she's very determined to learn and accomplish things. Thank you for the luck, I wish you the same. :)

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
GELiz
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I began by sitting my babies on the pot as soon as they woke up in the morning before they had peed yet. That way they really did HAVE to go and it was a significant amount- then rewarded success with stickers, praise etc. Didn't try the rest of the day until she really enjoyed that. We sang songs and played fingr games all the wile.

Then I added right after nap time- another good success time. Then I added a middle of the morning and middle of the afternoon. Soon we were catching it on a regular basis.

that is how I did it. the boys were harder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured