Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

need advice for dealing with a 15 month old.

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone! I am a first time mom and I have a 15 month old baby girl. She is such a joy for me. She has always been such a good baby. She knows it's not ok to misbehave in public. While at the store she will sit in the cart and play with me or whoever is pushing the cart. From time to time she will look at the shelfs and point or try to grab an item off the shelf.

But here recently she has been acting like a little brat. I mean it's to the point where I set up play dates for her and she will beat up on the other kid that she is playing with.

She is also throwing tantrums that are so uncontrollable. During these tantrums she will go around and try biting people or objects. I have had this biting problem with her since she has been cutting teeth. I thought that I had nipped it in the butt and got her to understand that she can't bite people. But like I said she throws these tantrums now and bites and hits.

It seems like she is entering the terrible 2s stage early? I'm not sure. I am asking for help on how I can control her when she throws the tantrums or beats up on kids. How can I make her understand that it is not okay?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bleacheddecay
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

The second she looks like she is going to hit another child, (and do NOT leave her unsupervised) you grab her and show her how to touch gently. "We touch people gently. Soft hands." Repeat about 30 million times and it will make a difference.

As for biting, it's the same kind of thing. Always have something she can use to ease the tooth pain, and redirect her to that. "We bite our teething ring, never people (or anything else)."

If she is pitching a tantrum, ignore it. Before the tantrum think, did she eat, nap, or been changed recently and so on to prevent them before they start. Give her a toy that is velcroed on the buggy. Keep buggy in center of aisle to prevent her from pulling things off the shelf, making a mess and/or hurting herself.

If it gets bad in public, PICK her up and head to your car. DO NOT GIVE IN. No treats or candy that they want if there is bad behavior. This was easy for me at this age because what my baby wanted was anything in a green package even denture cream. LOL

Be firm but loving and patient. Respond this way EVERY time. Sooner than you think the behavior will get better and she will learn that you will hold the line. Her emotional security and trust in you will go up. She will be happier.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

She's not a brat, and there's no such thing as the 'terrible 2's'.

She's testing her limits, and working with limited communication skills. Have you heard of Love and Logic? That is what I use, and it works. No tantrums, and your child will learn quickly about natural consequences.

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

It sounds like she is testing you. You have to be firm and follow through on the consequences. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Quoting LuLuRex:

It sounds like she is testing you. You have to be firm and follow through on the consequences. 

ILoveMyLife507
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

thank you all for the great advice. I will keep it all in mind.

Dvegas
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My son turns 15 moths old tomorrow i am going through the same thing. He like to throw tantrums lately. it is usually when i don't let him bite me. I put him down if he bites and then he goes crazy ( he only bites me for some reason). The other times he gets like that is when I am talking or sitting with my husband instead of him. I am trying to be strong and just ignore him when he gets like that and that seems to work some of the time as he eventually calms down and starts playing again.

ILoveMyLife507
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I am going through the same thing with my daughter. the only thing is that she will bite everyone. she will even bite the couch or what ever. i tell her that its not ok to bite. with her tantrums she will sit there and scream and cry. sometime she will even sit there and bang her head on the wall cabinet or what ever is behind her. i do the same thing you said that u do. i try to ignore it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)