Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Getting 7y/o out of pullups at night.

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 39 Replies

I have 2 sons.  My oldest was approx 7 yrs when he stopped wetting the bed and wearing a pullup at night.  My youngest is now 7 yrs and still wearing a pullup.  The Dr. isn't concerned and being that my  oldeset did it, I get it.  But what kills me is that he fights me on going to the bathroom several times the hour before bed.  And he overflows the pullup when he stays up a bit later or when he's tired.  Part of me thinks we should just keep on keepin' on and part of me gets a bit irritated thinking there's got to be something I can do.  I believe he has an immature bladder but I still feel like I need to do something.  Any suggestions?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Find another doctor. My 7 year old hasn't been in a pull up since she was 4, and neither has my 5 year old. Actually...he was 3 I think. Find a doctor that will figure out the underlying issue, not just say it isn't a problem.

x_Starr_x
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM
what ? something's wrong with him see another doc all my kids were night trained by 3
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Only let him drink until 8pm.  Since he is 7 a protective sheet should be used on his bed for any urine.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I am certainly no expert but what if you don't put the pull-up on until right before he gets in bed?  It sounds like he is peeing in the pull ups before bed for convenience.  Don't allow him to put the pull up on until its literally time to crawl in bed and go to sleep.  Do you set an alarm to wake him up in the middle of the night to go?

brittany208
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He's wearing the pull-ups during the day too?? There is definitely something not right here....

My2boyz79
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

He is not wearing a pullup during the day, only at night.  He stops drinking around 6pm.  He sleeps very hard at night.  I tried an alarm to wake him when he started to pee during the night.  It worked for a while.  He went 6 months without wetting the bed or having to wear a pullup but then he started peeing again ever night and we're back to the pullups.  And we tried the alarm again, but it didn't work this time.  He just slept through it.  I don't think it's SO uncommon to have a child wet the bed past 3 or 4 years old, I just don't know how to help him.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

nothing is wrong with him!! it is COMPLETELY normal for kids to wet the bed up until they are 12.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

what ? something's wrong with him see another doc all my kids were night trained by 3

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

does diabetes run in the family? has he been checked for a UTI?

holland0226
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You could try the Goodnights pads instead of the pull-ups, they are a pad with sticky underside so it won't move. That has seemed to help my 5 year-old and she has less accidents. I thought it was because she knows she's in panties and so gets up to go potty, whereas when she knows she is in a pull-up she doesn't bother. They stay on the bed well and hold well and if they don't get wet you can use them for 3-4 days before putting another one on. My daughter does have a small bladder and is on medicine to try to help stretch it, it's something she grew accustomed to at her oprphange where they all went potty every hour no matter what.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM
See a new doctor. One out of pull ups just after 3. Other was at 3 1/2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN