Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Getting 7y/o out of pullups at night.

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 2 sons.  My oldest was approx 7 yrs when he stopped wetting the bed and wearing a pullup at night.  My youngest is now 7 yrs and still wearing a pullup.  The Dr. isn't concerned and being that my  oldeset did it, I get it.  But what kills me is that he fights me on going to the bathroom several times the hour before bed.  And he overflows the pullup when he stays up a bit later or when he's tired.  Part of me thinks we should just keep on keepin' on and part of me gets a bit irritated thinking there's got to be something I can do.  I believe he has an immature bladder but I still feel like I need to do something.  Any suggestions?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Replies (31-39):
jamiegraham
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I agree with you

Quoting alexis_06:

nothing is wrong with him!! it is COMPLETELY normal for kids to wet the bed up until they are 12.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

what ? something's wrong with him see another doc all my kids were night trained by 3

jamiegraham
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Well said

Quoting STVUstudent:

Around 20% of children aged 4-12 still wet the bed.  I was a late bedwetter myself, and I can tell you, no "normal" kid WANTS to wet the bed.  No "normal" kid will wet the bed because they are too lazy to get up.  You cannot shame or punish it out of them.  They need to reach the point where they outgrow it, if there is nothing medically wrong with them.  Usually, there isn't.

My son, age 5, was daytime trained right after his 2nd birthday, and by 2-1/2 was dry almost every night.  There would be an accidnet on rare occasion, usually when he was over tired, over stimulated, or out of his routine.  To this day, he fights and argues with me about going to the bathroom before bed.  He will argue that he doesn't have anything in him...    His twin sister lagged behind him almost a year in potty training and night dryness.  My 4 year old daughter is still in pullups at night.  She is ADHD and she sleeps really hard.  As much as she wants to be dry, she frequently still wets.  Up until a few months ago, she would be at school, use the toilet right before nap time, and have an accident while she was down for her nap.  the teacher started waking her up halfway through nap time to use the toilet.

Get his checked by his ped.  If the doc says nothiing is wrong, go into "protective barrier" mode.  You can get vinyl covers that go over the whole mattress, and mattress pads that are waterproof as well.  This will protect the mattress.  For the bedding, you have a couple of choices- pullups or bedmats.

Or, you can use nothing and wash bedding every day until he outgrows it.  Or, you can do like my mom did and make him sleep in it wet...  I'm here to tell you, THAT was not effective.

No kid wants to sleep in a pissy bed.  No kid wants to be wet every night.  If he could stop it on his own, I assure you, he would.  My youngest is so anxious for the day when she too does not have to wear a pull-up, but I will NEVER shame her or punish her because she wets the bed.  NEVER.  I have been there. 

My2boyz79
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thanks!  I have or am trying much of what you mentioned.  I appreciate your post!

Quoting STVUstudent:

Around 20% of children aged 4-12 still wet the bed.  I was a late bedwetter myself, and I can tell you, no "normal" kid WANTS to wet the bed.  No "normal" kid will wet the bed because they are too lazy to get up.  You cannot shame or punish it out of them.  They need to reach the point where they outgrow it, if there is nothing medically wrong with them.  Usually, there isn't.

My son, age 5, was daytime trained right after his 2nd birthday, and by 2-1/2 was dry almost every night.  There would be an accidnet on rare occasion, usually when he was over tired, over stimulated, or out of his routine.  To this day, he fights and argues with me about going to the bathroom before bed.  He will argue that he doesn't have anything in him...    His twin sister lagged behind him almost a year in potty training and night dryness.  My 4 year old daughter is still in pullups at night.  She is ADHD and she sleeps really hard.  As much as she wants to be dry, she frequently still wets.  Up until a few months ago, she would be at school, use the toilet right before nap time, and have an accident while she was down for her nap.  the teacher started waking her up halfway through nap time to use the toilet.

Get his checked by his ped.  If the doc says nothiing is wrong, go into "protective barrier" mode.  You can get vinyl covers that go over the whole mattress, and mattress pads that are waterproof as well.  This will protect the mattress.  For the bedding, you have a couple of choices- pullups or bedmats.

Or, you can use nothing and wash bedding every day until he outgrows it.  Or, you can do like my mom did and make him sleep in it wet...  I'm here to tell you, THAT was not effective.

No kid wants to sleep in a pissy bed.  No kid wants to be wet every night.  If he could stop it on his own, I assure you, he would.  My youngest is so anxious for the day when she too does not have to wear a pull-up, but I will NEVER shame her or punish her because she wets the bed.  NEVER.  I have been there. 

elephantmamaof2
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Some kids are just bedwetters, and it makes sense that both of your boys were because they say its genetic. My advice? Take the pullups off, and deal with the middle of the night changing of the linens and stuff. I know how bad it sucks for you, I'm going through it with dd who is 3, but he'll start to "get it" if he's woken up and forced to stay up while you change everything. I was a bed wetter, and I distinctly remember how bad it sucked when I had to sit awake at 3am because my mom had to change everything! Good luck mama!

hplesha
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
My oldest is about to be 8 and still pees the bed at night. He sleeps very heavy. He has sleep apnea as well. He's actually getting surgery for his tonsils in April. The dr said it could be a reason why he's wetting the bed because it is a symptom of sleep apnea. He is on medicine to help him stretch the time out, but that isn't helping. His dr said if the surgery and the medicine doesn't help, we will be going to a urologist and he's going to get tested for an overactive bladder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Another thing you might want to check, and this is something that even many peds don't consider, is chronic low grade constipation.  I recently read a study on this... a doctor started treating bed wetters over 5 with no other underlying medical conditions for constipation, with a nearly 100% success rate.  Even a child who poops every day could be suffering from constipation.  He was treating with pediatric enimas and fiber laxative, and after a month or so, the bed wetting stopped.  The body was retaining enough fecal waste that it was exerting just enough pressure something so the did not feel any urge to go until they were completely relaxed and asleep... at which point, everything let go and they wet the bed.  Once the blockage was cleared, normal function returned. 

STVUstudent
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My 4 year old ADHD bedwetter also has sleep apnea.  She had her tonsils and adenoids out a few months ago, and it has made a huge difference for her.  She used to wet every night, as well as sleep like the dead and snore like a freight train.  Now, no more snoring, better breathing, more restful sleep, and over a 75% reduction in bedwetting. 

Quoting hplesha:

My oldest is about to be 8 and still pees the bed at night. He sleeps very heavy. He has sleep apnea as well. He's actually getting surgery for his tonsils in April. The dr said it could be a reason why he's wetting the bed because it is a symptom of sleep apnea. He is on medicine to help him stretch the time out, but that isn't helping. His dr said if the surgery and the medicine doesn't help, we will be going to a urologist and he's going to get tested for an overactive bladder.

mommadana
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My friend has a son that is 9 and still has to use goodnight pants and some is due to trauma from his childhood and some is he has an underdeveloped bladder.  It's normal, especially in boys.  My SO's daughter is 8 and due to bad dreams she wets the bed still.  She stopped for a while and then started back up.  You might see if something going on in his life that may have caused it again.  Bullying, scary movies or video games, zombies?  I know it sounds strange but nightmares can cause it.  Is he now afraid of the dark and didn't used to be?  A sign is if he won't go to the bathroom without turning on EVERY light (our 8 year old started that out of the blue)

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
It is actually normal to wet the bed at night. Immature bladder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)