Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

would you be mad ? ( baby's 1st birthday )

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have 3 children , 1 yr old ds , 8 yr old dd and 10 yr old ds. We were planning our son's 1st b-day to which we would go out to a buffet pay for everyone and have cake there. well the 1st 2 dates I picked everyone canceled last minute. we changed it to this sunday and guess what ? here we are on tuesday and everyone cancelling. my son's birthday has already passed and now everyone is arguing over the date, we pushed it to mid march b/c we are waiting on our taxes and none of his will RSVP so we know who to pay for. I am considering just cancelling it and inviting those that we know won't cause trouble ( just friends) but dh is mad over that option however I dont see any other option b/c no one wants to RSVP to give us a head count. 

anyone agree ? wwyd ?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Just cancel the party all together.   Do an immediate family party since it isnt for the baby's benefit to have a huge party.   Does the child like buffet places or would they rather go to somewhere they can play?

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes.  I have to agree with you that at this point, I would just make it a smaller affair to friends only.  It sounds like a case of "you can't please everyone all of the time."  If the buffet-style isn't working (and it doesn't sound like it is), regroup ASAP, before you are planning a 1st birthday and his graduation party!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

aww, that really sucks!! and yes i would be mad! it's not like these people dont know when your sons bday is, so why do they make plans?? i think after three tries, i would be giving up, and doing it for people who i know would come.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM
We didn't do anything big. Just have your dh and kids. My parents visited, that is all we had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Just set a date and who comes will come and the ones that cancel well they miss out.

amanda81919
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
People were doing the same over my dd 3rd bday, they wanted to change it to 4 weeks later, so we cancelled it. And we asin my ds,dd,dh and I went to the park cooked hamburgers and hotdogs, and had fun. We let them all know. Even though they supposedly were all going to be busy...but they all somehow managed to make it there half an hour after we let them know haha. But honestly, id go with only those who have rsvp'd already.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Yes, that is annoying! But if it's a buffett can't you just pay for who shows up? And don't bother making goody bags or favors for anyone who doesn't rsvp.

NookBoookMom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

my son lives Chinese  and   it is a buffet, im changingthe date and putting 'if you do not RSVP then  to ay for your own meal

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Quoting NookBoookMom: my son lives Chinese  and   it is a buffet, im changingthe date and putting 'if you do not RSVP then  to ay for your own meal

Many people do NOT like Chinese, ESPECIALLY children, and even for those who do, those Chinese buffets are nauseating.  I'm not surprised no one wants to come.

Have it at Chucky Cheese--you can't go wrong with pizza,  and the kids LOVE it,  or at Old Country Buffet where everyone can find SOMETHING they like, and they will show up with bells on. 

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'd pick a date and if they show up great if not bummer for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)