Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult * long * PIOG Posted by bluedolly

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just wondering if any of you lovely ladies has had to deal with a SO being diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult. My DH strongly suspects that he may have it but he won't go to the Dr to be officially diagnosed because "it won't change anything". He has done a number of online tests that have all showed very high probability of him having it. DH is significantly older than me and his mother was completely clueless her whole life, grew up in an institution because his mother was unable to care for her 5 kids but would not let other family members care for the children in case get became "attached" which might go some way to explaining why it wasn't picked up as a child and it wasn't until recently when we actually met an adult with Asperger's that things clicked into place. I really don't care whether or not he gets officially diagnosed but I am interested in hearing from the partners of people who have Asperger's, hearing your experiences and specifically how did/do you deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
meliscool72
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I don't have it, however, I have a friend that has it. She has a really hard time learning almost anything. She doesn't know how to play cards and we tried teaching her rummy the other day (she was confused because she thought there was a lot of math involved, but I tried explaining to her if she can count to 10 and know that J Q K are in that order than she doesn't have to worry about the math until the end, but she never got the concept and just quits before she even gets started).

However, I do believe if he wants to diagnose himself as having asburgers then he needs to see a doctor because if it isn't on paper he doesn't have it in the medical world

VintageWife
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

My husband has it. He was diagosed as an adult too.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

This

Quoting crwspringer:

I'd have to say that I agree with your husband. What would it accomplish receiving a diagnosis.

He obviously is a functioning adult who seems to have a loving and caring wife. What would going through all of that change?

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
not me. but i wish you the best.
zadesmom1998
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
My DS 15 was diagnosed 3 years ago. It didn't change anything except his iep at school. I don't believe a diagnosis now will change anything for him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Bump!

bluedolly01
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Quoting Conner_Ian:

I have it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilana_ny
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Can you explain how can someone hide that they have Autism? Is it possible? 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I have aspergers. I hid it from my husband until just a few months ago because I hated that I had it and I didn't want him to treat me differently. The only thing that's changed since telling him is now he pays attention to stories about aspergers so he can better understand what I'm going through.

On a related but seperate note, aspergers no longer is. It's officially classified as an autism spectrum disorder now.

bluedolly01
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
That's our thinking process as well. Did it help you and your family to understand why he reacted the way he did at times or did you still feel like WTH?

Quoting zadesmom1998:

My DS 15 was diagnosed 3 years ago. It didn't change anything except his iep at school. I don't believe a diagnosis now will change anything for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zadesmom1998
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Zade always had autistic quirks that his original school ignored. He was failing all of his classes but excelled on tests including the IQ test. We switched schools and they asked me about it and I told them about the other school. It just fits him. He is now getting a 3,0 and is on the track team and he's learning how to deal with his quirks as we like to call them in public.

Quoting bluedolly01:

That's our thinking process as well. Did it help you and your family to understand why he reacted the way he did at times or did you still feel like WTH?

Quoting zadesmom1998:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN