Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

baby eczema?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

My DD is 9 wks, she has bumpy, "kinda rough" skin on arms, legs, and face. There are also tiny red bumps, my first DD didn't have this problem.  I think it itches because she is always rubbing her face on me when I hold/nurse her.  I have tried corn starch baths and Aveeno eczema therapy.  She has a Drs. appt tomorrow and I will address it, until then, does anyone have any suggestions?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMommyhood12
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We found out my LO had eczema from a breakout like that.  The doctor prescribed a steroid cream to use sparingly.  That's really the only thing that seems to clear up my LO's red, bumpy, itchy breakouts.  If I can catch them early - then extra lotion can usually keep them from getting worse.  When we first found out he had it - around 3 mos - the doctor said I needed to make sure to lotion him up really well after every diaper change.  That's the only thing I can suggest for now - until you get to the doctor.

Oh - I found a bath soap in the baby isle at Target that is made with the oatmeal that is in all the eczema therapy stuff.  It seems to work really well.  It's Babyganics bye bye dry moisturizing cream wash.   It helped clear up a breakout he had a few weeks ago.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Sounds like baby acne. Exzema isn't bumpy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My oldest was like that. It turned out to be a dairy allergy. Once off dairy her skin cleared up.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thanks ladies......

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Uuugghh.... I was kind of worried about allergies.  Question, do you BF?  I only ask because I do, and I was wondering if she is having a dairy allergy, does that mean that I need to be off dairy?

Quoting robbinsroost:

My oldest was like that. It turned out to be a dairy allergy. Once off dairy her skin cleared up.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Okay, good know.  Any suggestions?

Quoting atlmom2:

Sounds like baby acne. Exzema isn't bumpy.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, I just re-read my comment and realized it sounded kinda moronic.  I suppose common sense would tell me that if I am having dairy, she is getting it......Der.

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Uuugghh.... I was kind of worried about allergies.  Question, do you BF?  I only ask because I do, and I was wondering if she is having a dairy allergy, does that mean that I need to be off dairy?

Quoting robbinsroost:

robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Yes I BF. I had to be dairy free for about 6 month with all 4 of my kids. Then my kids had to be dairy free until they were about 18 months.

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting robbinsroost:

3sonsmommy
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Eczema can be bumpy, my sons started out like a bazillion tiny fluid filled pimples covering his head and face practically overnight when he was about 4wks old and then progressed into the dry itchy oozy patches. Are you nursing or using formula? If it is formula I would talk to the Dr about switching to a diff kind like soy and see if that helps. If you are nursing then I would work on trying an elimination diet. If her dr says eczema isn't related to food I would find a new Ped. I am not suggesting you quit nursing if you are but my sons eczema miraculously went away at 6 mo when I quit nursing and went to formula. (his dr never said it could be food related) we slowly started pinpointing allergens around a year as he would react to specific foods, finally got the dr to test him at almost 2 and found a rather long list of foods he was allergic to, all of which I ate regularly while nursing the miracle of his vanishing eczema was that all the stuff I was eating wasn't in the formula. A Dr won't allergy test at this age bc it isn't reliably accurate. But should atleast be aware that it can be caused/aggrivated by food.

robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

If it caused by dairy you will see a huge improvement in about 2 weeks. Never hurts to try. A couple weeks of eating dairy free is better than using steroid cream when it is not needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN