Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of advice

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
At what age is it appropriate to talk to your kids about sex? I have a 11 year old who soon hitting puberty and I'm not sure when u should have this talk.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Their whole lives should really be an open forum on sex education. Age appropriate, of course. Seeing as how your child is 11, now is the perfect time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maris76200
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Thank you for responding :-)
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am presuming you had the body talk already but if you havent, now is the time to tie it all on with sex and pregnancies all that stuff.  I know girls have a book out about this but not sure about boys.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You should have started when he was a lot younger. My kids have known about sex since they were 4/5 years old.

gracieb3
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely now would be good. My 6 year old knows because we've discussed a little each year and she's inquisitive with younger siblings so she recalls my pregnancies. 

ruggy03
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM
By 11 your child most likely knows the street version.its not like when we were younger.
Skye24
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

You should have already been having discussions throughout his life. He probably knows more now that you do. By sitting down and having a " formal" discussion , you will embarass both him and yourself. Has he never brought the subject up before ?  If you are going to start now, be age appropiate , simple , and clear . Try to be casual , make things as light hearted as possible.

maris76200
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM
To skye24, it's actually a girl. I believe girls and boys are bit different when it comes to this topic. I guess i'm a bit old fashion and the fact that my own mom did not touch this topic with me makes it more difficult.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured