Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Self Soothe too soon?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 40 Replies

My little girl is about to be 7 weeks old tomorrow and my boyfriend/her father is trying to make her self soothe by putting her alone in our room on the bed. She screams and screams and it breaks my heart! Is it too soon for her to be put through that or should I just ingore my discomfort at her being so alone and let her try and self soothe?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That is the nuttiest thing I ever heard.  ESPECIALLY the part about putting her alone on YOUR BED!  Babies at that age learn to self sooth from being held & fed.  THAT is how they learn their cries will be answered, and so gradually cry less as they understand they are not alone.  Plus, kids at 7 weeks typically need to eat every 3 to 4 hours, with a feeding lasting anywhere from 30 mins to an hour.  So there is not a lot of time left between crying for another feeding.  And in that little time, she may cry because she has a dirty diaper, she has a belly ache, she's too hot, she's too cold, she's afraid, she needs a burp...  Do you get the picture???

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM

WAY too young! That's just cruel :(

I would never leave my baby to cry at any age, but even advocates for the method don't recommend doing it before AT LEAST 6-9 months. Hold your baby! Answer her cries. It hurts you because you are designed to respond to those cries, ignoring them is ignoring some of your most basic maternal instincts.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

WAY WAY WAY too young.  IMO, an infant should never be left to CIO.  But those who DO advocate for that, say that 6 months old is the absolute earliest.  CIO like that, can actually be physically damaging to them. 

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Wow I would be telling people off. That its way to young for crying it out!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Like the other said way way to young. Enjoy this time cuddle with the baby :).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I like the CIO method but that is too young. If your baby is screaming they need you. Its cruel to ignore that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Really? That's insane! I never let my kids CIO! It was too cruel!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

i'm all for the CIO method as well..but..7 weeks is WAAY to young..not until AT LEAST 7-8 months (in my opinion)

MinglingMom
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Follow your mom-instinct... 7 weeks is definitely too young.

stargaze281
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Uhh what?! Thats so ridiculous. You should always comfort your baby, you people sound delusional to me! How about you all stop making excuses and take care of your baby. bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)