Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

dinner/mealtimes

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

We have been having a lot of issues in our home about mealtimes. Complaints, whining, etc; DH & I are pretty firm on the rules, eat it and get a snack later, don't and wait until breakfast.  The biggest problem is our oldest has food issues and has the same thing all the time, which our younger boys would like as well but generally they are good eaters.  Should I change our menu to be more child-friendly or continue wtih the current?   How do you handle complaints & whining about meals?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM

What are your typical meals?  Why not do a 3 bite rule and if they do not like it , they can have a healthy alternative?  Since i was raised on what is considered a bland diet (not many spices) my tastes run the same as dds.  She has really bad food adversion so we give her fruit alot as well as dry multigrain cheerios if she does not like what we are having as a family.  We try to at least have one thing in the meal she likes.  Are you following the correct portion sizes for each person in the family?  Smaller children need less portion sizes than an adult.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM

thankfully, my daughter loves pretty much everything..but if i make something new, she has to at least try it..or if i make something i know she doesnt like, then i will make her something different..

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate bite rules.

Taste it or don't but don't but don't complain lol.

We never waivered on meals. We have GREAT eaters.

I did two things I suggest to others. -- Don't assume the child will never eat spaghetti again again because they said they 'hate it' once. Start eliminating like that all choices will be gone quick. We kept offering. With sonething like salad of course so there's a choice. But don't give up! They went back to plowing it in no time.

The other one is to have them help cook, as much as they can for their age. They can try the ingredients, see how they work together and how much work it is! Helps us a ton! They love to try stuff. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We feed our daughter multiple times during the day making sure her nutritional priorities are filled at the beginning of the day. 
Dinner, eh, if she eats she eats, but she doesn't get anything else till breakfast.
If I know we are making something she can't eat , like portobello mushroom burgers (Mushrooms make her have diarrhea) I will make her something else I know she will eat.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Keep serving and offering all foods, just not the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meaganmac
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

If you're already preparing something for your oldest anyways, why not offer it to the younger ones as well?  Before you make supper give them the option of what you and your husband are having, or what their older brother is having. 

I personally tell my kids they always have to try something before they say they don't like it.  And even if they know they don't like something, I still put it on their plates because you never know when they will give it another chance and like it.  If they don't want to eat, they get a glass of milk and when they do want something to eat (assuming it is before the next meal), they get what they didn't finish.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Don't make mealtime a war zone.  I like to serve something that I know they like and offer other things on a taste it if you want basis. Snacks are not dependent on meals, although if there is a snack I like it to be something that I'd ordinarily serve at a meal and not junk food.  - little bits of pizza, fruit, veggies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN