Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

18 year old daughter wants to go on birth control. need advice

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 137 Replies

Hello, My 18 year old is in her first serious relationship. She has always been very open with me about sex. She came to me and said she is still a virgin buts wants to get on birth control because she feels that they will have sex and she wants to be prepared. I admire her for coming to me and planning and I guess I can't be naive enough to think she will not ever have sex. My  husband has said before, absolutely not. I have made the dr.'s appointment and I want him to talk to  her, but should I tell my husband? should I even be doing this? Thanks,

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
19 moms liked this
She came to you and asked for it.

Get her on it before you end up a grandma!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dee1603
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this
She's 18. She doesn't need yours not your husband's permission to do it. Hope he realizes that and allows her. Although I would also have her blood checked for clotting disorders before going on bc. I was 20 on bc and got a blood clot. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Sweetie, she could do it without you. She's an adult. I wouldn't. I was on bc at 16 because if my endometriosis. We didn't tell my dad because he still doesn't think it has other uses. I was on it last 2 years and I wasn't 't even having sex. I'm way old now, but I still won't tell my dad I'm on it. It's girl's business.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Be glad she came and talked to you. I would get her on it. Shes 18 she could probably have went to the health dept and got it without you ever knowing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes you do.you have taught her to come to you now dont let her down. She is being mature and honest . Your dh needs to face the fact his little girl is now a grownup woman. I know its hard to think of our kids as being sexually active. I would make the appt. You can either go with her or she can go alone. I would tell dh after the fact.

STVUstudent
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
8 moms liked this

she is 18, legally an adult.  She can do what she wants.  She came to you for help and guidance, and that is awesome.  Particularly given that she is an adult, I would not tell dad... if he thinks his 18 year old daughter is not having, or planning to have sex, he is an idiot.

Mom2Kenleigh05
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a wonderful thing that you and your daughter have a good relationship! It is never a good idea to keep secrets in your marriage.  He has to understand that she is 18 and is at a legal age.  If she feels already that they will have sex, I would go ahead and put her on the birth control.  But she has to understand as well that birth control is not 100% effective.

frzmamaof4
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting edelweiss23:

She came to you and asked for it.

Get her on it before you end up a grandma!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
She's 18. She doesn't need his or your permission. She asked, so she is thinking about sex, so unless you want a little one around, I'd take her in.
mom2the.rescue
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

You should be really proud of her.  Take her to the gyno and have her go in without you.  She's an adult.  She can get it without you.  No need for her dad to know.  Men are pretty stupid anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)