Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Wardrobe Wars. Ladies with daughters..Help!

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 20 Replies

My first child was a boy. No issues with what he will or should or wanted to where. Ever. I then had two girls. You know all Sugar and Spice and Every Thing Nice....Except when they turn 7 and all of a sudden it's a morning ritual to set up the fox holes and fight it out over what our little lovely will be wearing to school. It has become a real issue. The clock ticks down in the morning, the final school bell will be ringing in 20 mins and she's still not dressed because she wants to wear shorts and a tank top in 35-40 degree weather, or some funky get up that brings up recollections of a work by Picasso or some thing pulled from Phyllis Diller's back stage clothes rack. I tell her to change in to some thing more appropriate and there is screaming, crying, throwing of clothes, name calling and all kinds of fun stuff. We finally rush out the door and I tell her she's punished on the way to school for the tantrum, and I follow through, and then the next morning, same thing.Tips..Please. Tell me other moms, what has worked for you if you had this problem. Do I pick my battles? I suspect I should. Do I let her where wacky out fits with out comment or personal opinion? And how, when the out fit is absolutely out of the question how do you succeed at peacefully resolving the issue. Thanks.  

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Pick out 2 outfits the night before weather appropriate and that fit the school dress code.  I do not fight dd about being matchy or ultra rigid.  This age almost all girls will come up with crazy combos.  If she wants to wear a tank top, tell her that she will need to wear a long sleeve shirt under it to stay warm.  If you want i can share one of dd's "crazy "outfits she wore out of the house.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Both my kids had strong opinions on clothes from very early on. Let them pick it out, with your approval, the night before.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Pick out her outfits the night before. Let her wear what she wants to wear as long as it is appropriate. So mixed matched colors, okay, but shorts in the winter or something that isn't age appropriate, no. If she throws a fit about not being allowed to wear something, take away privaledges for the rest of the day and tell her that since she can't handle the responsibility of picking out her own clothes, shes lost the privaledge and from now on you will pick her outfits on your own. She can have the privaledge back when she agrees to listen when you say no without a tantrum.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Put the clothes that are not appropriate for this weather away. My daughter loves to wear leggings (She actually has a sensory issue where jeans hurt her). So she loves dresses and skirts. She would wear them every day if she could. 
So we made a deal. If she wears a dress/skirt one day, the next she has to wear pants. We have soft pants for her to wear, khakis, cords, etc.
She knows the rules and gets dressed on her own. If she takes more than 15 minutes to get dressed I set a timer for 5 minutes and she hurrys along.  

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM
We have school clothes and play clothes... All school clothes are appropriate and only worn to school. They may pick any combo of "school clothes" they wish (and they help me pick/buy them). The school clothes are separate from te play/every day clothes. As for everyday clothes they may again pick any combo. Generally only season appropriate clothe are accessible. If they choose something and I think it will be too cold I tell them. If they decide to wear it anyway, then natural consequence is they're cold. Same with coats, and stuff. They don't want to wear it, and then they can't go out for recess... Bummer for them.
Mom2Kenleigh05
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I have a child who is extremly OCD.  Nothing fits right.  It is to big, it is to small, it is to short, etc.  My mornings used to be like your's.  Now, at night before she goes to bed.  She may choose two outfits.  In the morning she has to choose between those two.  She understands those are her choices and if she does not like them... OH WELL..lol..  If she has a fit that morning, then she knows the next day, I chose her outfit..lol.. and she does not like that..

sorcha1945
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I have a daughter but she is only 6 months old.  I do have a 5 year old DS who takes FOREVER to get ready in the morning and was having wardrobe issues with him as well.  He would come out wearing shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt when it is 32 degrees out, so back to his room to put on warmer clothes fighting me the whole way.  So new system is in place he picks out his clothes the night before and lays them out.  If I feel its not warm enough then I tell him what he needs to change.  I don't really care if it matches or goes together or not.  Mornings are so much better now!

On a side note as long as it is weather appropriate let her choice whatever she wants to wear.  No harm in letting her be mismatched when it is what she choose to wear.  My mom did that for me, and yes I look back at pictures and have asked Mom how the heck could you let me leave the house like that? And she says you choose it, and I am fine with that.  My own personal style evolved from making my wardrobe choices as a child.

LetoLiebe
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I would like to see it. I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't get so hung up on the "fashion sense" aspect of her out fits. I have confidence that she will develop a fashion style that is right for her over a few years, but it is tough...I am a very visually oriented person and I like a lot of off beat looking things actually...but so some times it's so not right...IT HURTS MY EYES..but you are correct about letting that go, I know. I have to get over it. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Pick out 2 outfits the night before weather appropriate and that fit the school dress code.  I do not fight dd about being matchy or ultra rigid.  This age almost all girls will come up with crazy combos.  If she wants to wear a tank top, tell her that she will need to wear a long sleeve shirt under it to stay warm.  If you want i can share one of dd's "crazy "outfits she wore out of the house.

ARMYWife624
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

So I would set out 2 or 3 outfits at night and then let her pick from those the following day. Of course make them weather appropriate. That's what we do with our daughter so maybe it'll work for yours. Girls can be so picky. Lol good luck

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

is one of the worst ones she created   LOL.   Polka dot dress, "crazy"leggings, purple easter socks, blue play pearls.  you see where it is going.

Quoting LetoLiebe:

I would like to see it. I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't get so hung up on the "fashion sense" aspect of her out fits. I have confidence that she will develop a fashion style that is right for her over a few years, but it is tough...I am a very visually oriented person and I like a lot of off beat looking things actually...but so some times it's so not right...IT HURTS MY EYES..but you are correct about letting that go, I know. I have to get over it. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)