Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Wardrobe Wars. Ladies with daughters..Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

My first child was a boy. No issues with what he will or should or wanted to where. Ever. I then had two girls. You know all Sugar and Spice and Every Thing Nice....Except when they turn 7 and all of a sudden it's a morning ritual to set up the fox holes and fight it out over what our little lovely will be wearing to school. It has become a real issue. The clock ticks down in the morning, the final school bell will be ringing in 20 mins and she's still not dressed because she wants to wear shorts and a tank top in 35-40 degree weather, or some funky get up that brings up recollections of a work by Picasso or some thing pulled from Phyllis Diller's back stage clothes rack. I tell her to change in to some thing more appropriate and there is screaming, crying, throwing of clothes, name calling and all kinds of fun stuff. We finally rush out the door and I tell her she's punished on the way to school for the tantrum, and I follow through, and then the next morning, same thing.Tips..Please. Tell me other moms, what has worked for you if you had this problem. Do I pick my battles? I suspect I should. Do I let her where wacky out fits with out comment or personal opinion? And how, when the out fit is absolutely out of the question how do you succeed at peacefully resolving the issue. Thanks.  

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

my daughter is 8..i totally get it!! LOL 

she used to take forever to get ready for school, but now she gets her clothes ready at night. it's made a huge difference!

Marimaru
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

My daughter is 3, but as long as the outfit is weather appropriate, I don't argue with what she's wearing, even if it looks funky.  I did do a little negotiating this morning because she's got pictures at preschool today LOL.

breebree04
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My dd is 8 and I go through the same thing. I dont know what to do either. I tried the getting the clothes ready the night before but still had the same problem. She would pick something inappropriate for weather or not even close to matching. We would have the same fight and tantrum just at night instead of in the morning. Sometimes negotiating with her does help though. Like if she wants to wear a tank top or sleeveless shirt during the winter she has to have a shirt over it or atleast a sweater and if she wants to wear a skirt she has to wear leggings or thicker tights with it.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Quoting LetoLiebe:

I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't get so hung up on the "fashion sense" aspect of her out fits. I have confidence that she will develop a fashion style that is right for her over a few years, but it is tough...I am a very visually oriented person and I like a lot of off beat looking things actually...but so some times it's so not right...IT HURTS MY EYES.. 

This is one of those things that our kids have to learn on their own. Mom's opinion just does not carry a whole lot of weight in the matter. 

On the other hand - this is the time when they discover PEER PRESSURE. The kids at school will definitely make it known if they think daughter, or son, looks "weird" in what, up to that point, was their favorite outfit!

As others have said, have the outfit picked out the night before. Explain about, and put your foot down, on weather, or age/school-appropriate, related issues. Anything else goes.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Quoting breebree04:

We would have the same fight and tantrum just at night instead of in the morning. 

At least in the evening you have the time for it.

It makes for a much better, and on-time, start to the day.

breebree04
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Quoting breebree04:

We would have the same fight and tantrum just at night instead of in the morning. 

At least in the evening you have the time for it.

It makes for a much better, and on-time, start to the day.

Very True!!!

Jessica45
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My DD is 7. I let her pick out what she wants to wear and only say something if it's not weather appropriate. However, she must pick out the clothes the night before. If she hadn't picked out clothes by bedtime then I will pick the outfit and she has to just wear it. Normally she does pick it out the night before and I must say she's getting much better about it. She's been picking out some pretty good stuff lately. I guess all that practice has been helping her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I would let her wear what she wants unless it's offensive or inappropriate.  Same rules as when she's a teenager ;) Also, let her pick it out the night before.

OwlinMe
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You definitely have to pick out the clothes the night before.  Make her feel like she has some control by telling her she needs to pick out her outfit for tomorrow, that it needs to have long sleeves or layers or whatever the requirement may be because of the weather or season.  Tell her you cannot wait to see what she comes up with, as long as she is covered appropriately you gotta love it!  She'll figure out her own style eventually, all part of growing and finding herself.  My daughter wouldn't wear jeans until she was 9, always had to be elastic waist, thank God for the yoga pants phase in fashion.  Now that's all she wants to wear.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Yeah. .. at that age as long as its weather appropriate I don't really care
I don't buy inappropriate clothes
All skirts and dresses HAVE to have tights/leggings/shorts under them
Its been so long they don't know to argue that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)