Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When do you take your lo the dentist? Mine is 6 and a half month and I need to know if now is goodor first tooth better?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (11-19):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I took mine at 15 months, but around 12 months is a good start.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

First tooth or 1st birthday.  Find a ped. dentist if possible since they will see children sooner.  A regular general family dentist does not see them until 3 or 4.  DD had a great ped dentist and they did not do xrays until age 4 They did a cleaning, general exam and fluoride treatment (sealant) every 6 months.  By time xrays came she was comfortable with staff and listened to them very well.   I would hate to take someone to a new person and expect them to cooperate with the unknown.

storkradio193
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

If I remember correctly, the American Medical Association says around 3, but the American Dental Assoc. says 6 months after first tooth breaks through.  There is not much they do at a young age and basically just charge you for the experience.  Younger children are less afraid and then get used to going.  I didn't take mine until 3 and it was fine. 

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

lnr187
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM

they say to go around 2 or 3 years. ss went at 4 years. i think it's less scary for them if you can explain what the dentist is going to do.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Pediatric Dentists and the AAP all advise to go at first tooth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
June55
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I took mine at age 3. I took them to a dentist that only saw children. He was excellent. He saw them til they were 16. Because of him my kids never feared the dentist. When I said u have a dentist appt. they were happy. He showed cartoons, gave stickers a n toys and toothbrushes made especially for them. It is very important their first experience is a good one. The first appt is usually just a look and some info. Good luck!
mommytoacloud
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 is when mine was told to go but hasnt been yet i dont belive in flouride
emilypemily
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

A lot of dentists don't even see children until they are 3 or 4 years old unless the child has a jaw injury or a specific dental problem.  My son didn't see a dentist until he was 4 years old.  He had a clean bill of health and did great.  Medicaid told us around 1 year old but the only medicaid dentist near us is TERRIBLE and nobody else would even see us unless there was a problem.  Children born to moms who have had a history of dental problems are at a higher risk for cavities and other dental problems, so sometimes dentists will see such children before 3-4 yrs.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I took my daughter as soon as she had teeth so she would get used to going twice a year. Now she is 5 and goes every 6 months, loves her dentist and is excited to go :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)